Obtaining first Cat C licence

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. My partner (who is a techophobe hence it is me asking on his behalf) is having his D4 medical next week for his provisional licence. He would like to know if you find out if you have passed at the appointment and/or if the urine sample is sent away for diabetes testing (his brother and uncle have diabetes but he had a test done after his brother’s diagnosis a couple of years ago and was clear at that time and doesn’t seem to have symptoms) and if he passes the medical and sends the form off straight away roughly how long it takes for the provisional licence to come back from the DVLA. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me and my stressing other half.

I got the result of my appointment there and then. Although to be honest I found the whole medical very straightforward. My licence and digicard took about 2 weeks if I remember rightly. Good luck on your new career.

As already said, they dip test the sample while you are there. Check blood pressure and eye sight. Ask you about any other medical conditions.

All over and done in about 20 minutes.

If you paid more than £60 for the medical you got ripped off

The doctor will tell you at the time if there is a problem likely to cause an issue with the DVLA. Diabetes is no longer an automatic licence refusal.

The completed form D4 should be sent along with the D2 and driving licence. We always recommend sending them by recorded delivery. If you have not received a reply after 3 weeks you can call the DVLA for an update.

If you have doubts about a medical issue do not spend any money on the next stage ie theory test materials or deposits to trainers as you cannot proceed without the provisional Cat C entitlement on the licence.

Good luck with the plans

The older form (still accepted) requires a urine test. But the new form doesn’t though it’s stricter on eyesight testing. So maybe you would do well to download the D4 and take it to the doctor just in case they have a stock of older forms. Most doctors don’t keep the forms - but just in case.

Good luck with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

(You will know if it’s the newer form as the first page is all about eyesight.)

ROG:

Assumptions! How do you know that £60 is a rip off price ROG?

macci:

ROG:

Assumptions! How do you know that £60 is a rip off price ROG?

Check out the medicals thread - all in there are less than that with many providers having a good coverage across the uk

I had the olde form but the doc knew his stuff - no urine sample required and no blood test either.

Good luck.

Gareth