OAP truck drivers

Is there a legal limit as to how old you can be before your not allowed to drive an HGV :question: or is it as long as you pass the medical you can drive one till your 100 :question:

are there any HGV drivers in the uk who are in the 80’s or 90’s :question:

i ask i have been reading the story of a 74 year old truck driver who according to the press did not brake in time approaching a queue of traffic he braked “at 56ft (17 metres) before the queue, allowing just three quarters of a second before impact”. and slammed into the back of car pushing it into the back of another truck and his lorry “travelled another 226ft (68 metres) before coming to a halt”. :cry:

if there isnt a limt do you think there should be one :question: :question:

No legal limit although the medical’s yearly after 70.

mrpj:

65 for LGVs :wink:

Cruise Control:
i ask i have been reading the story of a 74 year old truck driver who according to the press did not brake in time approaching a queue of traffic he braked “at 56ft (17 metres) before the queue, allowing just three quarters of a second before impact”. and slammed into the back of car pushing it into the back of another truck and his lorry “travelled another 226ft (68 metres) before coming to a halt”.

That would be the one at Leicester Crown Court today where he was found guilty of dangerous driving. Sentencing is next week and is likely to be a custodial one.

Crash driver guilty of M1 deaths

ROG:

mrpj:

65 for LGVs :wink:

:blush: Quite correct :slight_smile:

after his arrest,leadenham who was driving for haulage firm james irlam told police in a interview,i do not quite know what happened really,it happened that quick,I DO NOT TAKE MUCH NOTICE OF WHAT IS IN FRONT OF ME,REALLY.
this bit was in our local rag, ive got to believe his age, shock led him to say this, if not then you really have to ask what he was doing on the road.
our paper says 75 yrs of age, i know its hard to give up, sit around at home, but to me 75 is way past your best .

My uncle Tony Bradfield,is still an owner driver,running to Morocco & he was 77,last September.Still runs rings round people much younger,he has no plans on packing up while he keeps passing the medical.

It can’t be 65 Rog…as i got rescued once by this bloke in his 70’s

The Boss of a firm this way who run top of the range artics still drives at 81,only to the local quarries to load,or to the Scania dealer for maintenance,sometime’s if a driver is out of time,he goes out to fetch the artic back.

SuperSmiley:
It can’t be 65 Rog…as i got rescued once by this bloke in his 70’s

65 refered to the start of the yearly medical review.

I think Rog meant the medical is yearly after 65.
We’ve got at least one driver in his late seventies and there’s a couple more that look like they are not far behind.

Should have had my first medical this evening but was canceled by doctor due to bad weather(backlog of patients).
I turned 65 last year and hoping to carry on driving for another year or so.

i think it all depends on the person if there wish to drive passed retirement then its there choice as long as there fit to be on the road and can honestly say that there have the ability there had when there were 64 then where’s the problem with that.

it not your age that defies whether you can do the job it your state of mined, do you want to still put up with the crap you get at the RDC’s or from the TM’s or as the pension you save for so long actually worth any thing now.

My dads still going strong at 73. Like he says if he passes the medical he will keep going as the pension is a waste of time and my mam will kill him if he sits at home all day.

ady1:
after his arrest,leadenham who was driving for haulage firm james irlam told police in a interview,i do not quite know what happened really,it happened that quick,I DO NOT TAKE MUCH NOTICE OF WHAT IS IN FRONT OF ME,REALLY.
this bit was in our local rag, ive got to believe his age, shock led him to say this, if not then you really have to ask what he was doing on the road.
our paper says 75 yrs of age, i know its hard to give up, sit around at home, but to me 75 is way past your best .

Was that the same bloke trying to get on the bay at Boots in Nottingham earlier?

one of our lads is about 70. and i would rate him against anyone half his age. he did his first legal day 2 years ago. who says you can’t teach old dogs new tricks. :laughing:

There was a lad driving for a local tipper firm who was 76 - dunno if he still does, I never go out anymore! :blush: :imp: :laughing:

I believe OJ Jones from Portmadog still drives and I think he is mid 70’s.

I used to run with an old boy who ran till he was 73, retied and then dropped dead a month later the poor old sod. :frowning:

Its a bit silly that the old timers will have to arrange time off for their C.P.C. training as well as their annual medicals.

limeyphil:
one of our lads is about 70. and i would rate him against anyone half his age. he did his first legal day 2 years ago. who says you can’t teach old dogs new tricks. :laughing:

his first legal day?

hyper26:

limeyphil:

his first legal day?

yes. we went all legal 2 years ago. it took some getting used to.

im lost lol what were you doing before?