O licences and driving licences

reading that driving licenses have to be checked at regular intervals because of O licenses, not sure how that works :question:
the reason i ask is i was told that when a driver just had his license recentlychecked it had run out months ago :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , now most checks ive had have been every 6 months so surely in between its down to the driver to keep a check on it , not the company, surely it wouldnt be held against a company ,would it :question:

It’s not just to check that it hasn’t run out though, it’s to make sure that the driver hasn’t had his licence revoked for any reason and not told his employer, or got lots of points on it that means he’s no longer insured due to restrictions in the company’s policy.

If a vehicle is stopped and the driver isn’t licenced to drive it for whatever reason, VOSA will come down hard on the operator for letting the driver out in the truck, if the operator can show that they have a system for checking licences then VOSA will be kinder to them.

It’s not just employers either, one of the agencies I work for won’t give me any work if it’s more than 6 months since I took my licence in for them to check/copy.

Paul.

I always thought that the legal onus was for the company driver to tell his employer immediately if there were any changes to his licence… :question: :question:

ROG:
I always thought that the legal onus was for the company driver to tell his employer immediately if there were any changes to his licence… :question: :question:

There is, but a driver who needs the money to keep a roof over his head isn’t necessarily going to consider that when he neglects to tell his employer that his licence has been revoked/suspended/endorsed, so the operator has to check periodically too.

Paul