o licence

I am looking into being an owner driver, but i do not own an O licence do i need my own or am i able to run off someone else’s? Are you able to rent off people that own an O licence at a weekly or monthly charge?

“O licence for hire” is a big no-no and people who do it invariably end up getting their O licence revoked.

1st question…

are you for real? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

2nd question…

did you not consider doing a search for this?

but, to answer your questions

NO, you can’t hire someone else’s O Licence space

you need your own, it is hard to get and very easy to lose

you can, if you need, use someone else’s Operators CPC, which you will need to gain an Operating Licence

if you are considering becoming an owner driver, you really need to do some more research in to the subject

shuttlespanker:
1st question…

are you for real? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

2nd question…

you can, if you need, use someone else’s Operators CPC, which you will need to gain an Operating Licence

if you are considering becoming an owner driver, you really need to do some more research in to the subject

If this is who I think it is who is asking the questions spanky. I work with him and have already told him. Theres 2 of them wanting to go owner driver. He’s got 9 grand from a PPI claim, the other 1 can remortgage and get 50 grand. 1 has worked with me on containers for 6 week, and the other lads just finished on recovery, I went to school with both ov them. They have got an info pack from maritime and think that’s all they need because his uncle used to have tippers and thinks they can use his o licence.
I told him to come on here and have shown him a load of post warning whats needed and told him to save there money.
If this ain’t you leeroy then I apologise to the OP.

spectron:

shuttlespanker:
1st question…

2nd question…

If this is who I think it is who is asking the questions spanky. I work with him and have already told him. Theres 2 of them wanting to go owner driver. He’s got 9 grand from a PPI claim, the other 1 can remortgage and get 50 grand. 1 has worked with me on containers for 6 week, and the other lads just finished on recovery, I went to school with both ov them. They have got an info pack from maritime and think that’s all they need because his uncle used to have tippers and thinks they can use his o licence.
I told him to come on here and have shown him a load of post warning whats needed and told him to save there money.
If this ain’t you leeroy then I apologise to the OP.

if it is him, tell him NOT to buy a truck from Maritime with their Buy With Work scheme :wink:

oh dear!!! not a lot you can say to that post is there :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

weewulliewinkie:
oh dear!!! not a lot you can say to that post is there :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Nope, it’s bit of an eye opener and no mistake. :open_mouth:

shuttlespanker:
if it is him, tell him NOT to buy a truck from Maritime with their Buy With Work scheme :wink:

They want ludicrous money for them, £42,000 for an 08-reg FH12.

just a thought.
lets say someone set up a company, maybe a cooperative.
it has an o’licence for 50 units, and 50 trailers. but owns none.
someone comes along with a unit and trailer and buys in with a 1% share.
then another, and another etc.
they all make their own money, but pay a small fee to the company.

if you, and all the others are directors, then no one could tell you how you run it.
could they■■?

limeyphil:
if you, and all the others are directors, then no one could tell you how you run it.
could they■■?

Yeah but who is buying the truck? If you’re buying the truck as well as the 1% share in the company then in fact you are simply a sole trader owner driver who happens to own 1% of some other business that happens to have an o-licence. You can’t run on someone else’s o-licence and use “but I’m a shareholder in that company so it’s OK” as some kind of excuse.

Paul

repton:

limeyphil:
could they■■?

Yeah but who is buying the truck? If you’re buying the truck as well as the 1% share in the company then in fact you are simply a sole trader owner driver who happens to own 1% of some other business that happens to have an o-licence. You can’t run on someone else’s o-licence and use “but I’m a shareholder in that company so it’s OK” as some kind of excuse.

Paul

I see what you’re saying, But every other industry seems to use all manner of loopholes to get away with one thing or another.
The truck could be owned by me, But registered with the company. I’d be registered with companies house as a director of the company (1% share :smiley: ), Then wouldn’t this be some sort of way round all the waiting?
It’s pretty much like 50 blokes all chipping in to start a company, But this way they are buying in to an existing one.