O-licence sharing

As the title says I’ve recently been asked if sharing an o-licence is legal/can it be done?

For instance,

I own a lorry and a friend has an olicence for 2 lorrys but only has one therefore could he get a disk for my lorry and me run it on work that isn’t his?

This is merely to solve an argument and nothing more but the correct info would be good for further debate,

Thanks alex

No!

And another…

NO!!!

You will need your own operators licence and a minimum of nine months to get it.

If you need a Transport Manager for the licence, you can post on here to see if anyone can help.

9 months ?

Dan Punchard:
9 months ?

Hmm… I’ll add another “NO” to the above, and a shared wonderment about the 9 months because I thought it took somewhere around 12 weeks (ish?)

Dan Punchard:
9 months ?

He’s got o-licences confused with babies.

I’ve often thought about this and the legality of exactly what these two friends would and could do in a real world situation. And if we take out the words sharing, lending and any other definite breaches of the granting of the licence, then what exactly are the reasons Alex’s mate couldn’t hire in a second vehicle ? And then say employ a driver? Or a ltd company that happens to be Alex who is a one man band? Weather it’s Alex’s customer or not? If his mate is responsible for his licence and complys with all the declarations he signed upto regarding drivers hours, safe loading etc etc This therefore allows his mate to be more flexible, possibly tender for different work that didn’t quite match his ability and utility of the vehicle, safety in numbers and all that, wouldn’t all one man band owner drivers like the back up of a second vehicle without having too have stretched himself?
And before any one starts scolding me I’m definitely not talking of hood winking a TC or any skull duggery or anything that would lead to some embarrassing questions?
What’s to stop his mate?
Answers on the back of a postcard.

Alex is asking if he could run his lorry on his friend’s O licence and the answer is No.

Theoretically Alex could hire his lorry out to his friend, and then work for his friend as an employee, although I think he would be skating on very thin ice already with the TC. Certainly Alex couldn’t “trade” while running his lorry on an O licence which wasn’t his.

As Harry said, big fat NO, get caught will mean you never getting an “O” licence and your friend loosing his.

6 to 12 weeks to get your own “O” licence, if all criteria met in full.

Back in 1982 I had a temporary o licence handed over the counter(orange disc) at Hillcrest house in Leeds until my O licence application had been approved.
Until I surrendered my licence in January 2013 I never had a problem with Vosa as it is now.
I used the wrong form to surrender the licence and received a recorded delivery letter, stating that if I did not use the correct form they would take disciplinary action against the licence I was trying to surrender