O-Licence for a holding company

Bit of background…

At present, I am involved in 3 businesses which have operators licences. Two companies have Standard International licences, and another has a Restricted Licence. Between the 3 licences there is an authorisation for 23 trucks and 30 trailers, though there is a significant unused margin on each licence. In an effort to rationalise the admin side of things a bit, and also to re-arrange the financial structure, I am planning to transfer my shares in each of the 3 business to another Ltd company I own - basically to act as a holding company and make the financial affairs a great deal simpler than they are currently.

As part of the rationalisation, I have been contemplating replacing the 3 operators licences with a single SI licence attached to the holding company, utilising Section 3c of the GV79 from to include the various subsidiary companies on the new O-licence.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this, and any particular requirements associated with it? I have no recollection of the subject ever being mentioned during my CPC training a few years ago, and I personally know of no other firms who operate this way, but it would seem to fit my needs perfectly.

Thoughts or experiences?

The team I work for used to have it’s O’licence held by it’s holding company and the subsidary company was named on the licence. I don’t think there is anything complicated in it, just name your subsidary companies on the form and it get put on your O’licence when you get it.

This is the relevent bit from GV79G

Holding companies
You may wish vehicles operated by your subsidiary companies to be authorised under your
company’s operator’s licence. If so, include details of these companies at question 4(c). If granted,
the licence will authorise any relevant vehicles of the subsidiary companies. Any statutory
requirements that apply to the holding company and any undertakings given in the application for
the operator’s licence will apply equally to the subsidiary companies.

Saying that it did give me a problem with Hill Hire, they wanted loads of info about O’licence and insurance, but couldn’t seem to get thier heads round the subsidary company trying to hire the trailer.

I think GV79 and GV79G holds the answers too, but beware of changing any directors or using anyone with an iffy past as it will become a new application that may put your original licences in jeapardy, also the financial requirement for the holding company is necessary to prove again.