O licence disk?

How long can drive legaly new truck without O licence disk.I drive 5 week and still no disk.Company have operation licence.I found who no penalty for drivers or company,just verbal warning but anyway how lonng can drive???page 223 assets.publishing.service.gov.u … policy.pdf

Andrejs:
How long can drive legaly new truck without O licence disk.I drive 5 week and still no disk.Company have operation licence.I found who no penalty for drivers or company,just verbal warning but anyway how lonng can drive???page 223 assets.publishing.service.gov.u … policy.pdf

I have heard of people being fined etc. for displaying other people’s / other vehicle’s discs but can’t say I have seen one recently for just not displaying it.

What we do when we swap a vehicle is print out the vehicle list from the operators on line service when you put the new one on and keep a copy in the cab until the actual disc arrives, last one took 2 weeks I think.

It’s a bit like the last days of the tax disc, they are pretty pointless as DVSA have live access to the operator licence system so can check immediately from your vehicle reg. no. which licence, if any, a vehicle is listed on.

I am sorry that does not answer your question directly but I find it strange that your company has not done that.

Depends if it is an owned truck or hired.

Owned needs it as soon as possible to get one for it.

Hired truck 28 days , if on the fleet longer than 28bdays it requires one to be displayed and to be added to your o licence .

AFAIK.

simcor:

Hired truck 3 months, if on the fleet longer than 3 months it requires one to be displayed.

AFAIK.

If those are the rules then fair enough but, and maybe I am being soft, why would you not put it on your licence straight away ? it takes less than 2 minutes online and if you have a good OCRS rating surely you are far less likely to be pulled in than a truck whose reg. no. is not linked to an operator licence ?

Maybe I am missing something here ?

manski:

simcor:

Hired truck 3 months, if on the fleet longer than 3 months it requires one to be displayed.

AFAIK.

If those are the rules then fair enough but, and maybe I am being soft, why would you not put it on your licence straight away ? it takes less than 2 minutes online and if you have a good OCRS rating surely you are far less likely to be pulled in than a truck whose reg. no. is not linked to an operator licence ?

The op is asking how long can he drive a vehicle that is not displaying an o licence. You have to apply for a new o licence for each truck as you add it to your fleet. It can take quite a while to come through even though it’s been added to your fleet or in our case they are hard to get gold of quickly.

When I asked our compliance person about it who was an o licence holder (since left and gone elsewhere) that’s what she told me when I queried trucks not having them in.

Actually thinking about it the 3 months may be wrong it might be 28 days not 3 months. Just checked and it is 28 days for a hire vehicle before it needs adding to your o licence. Not sure where the 3 months idea came from must be old age.

I was pulled at Ferrybridge by Vosa a few years ago , the first question was if it was a hire vehicle. It was .
And it was less than a month old , it was on the system as it was going to be a long term hire but the disk hadn’t caught up with it yet . They know that the paper process is slow even if the online part is instant . Much the same as when they stopped dealers issuing tax discs on new vehicles before they abandoned them .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Andrejs:
How long can drive legaly new truck without O licence disk.

Upto 9 hours a day, upto 10 hours twice a week, Max 90 hours in a forthnight, basically same as a truck with a disc. :smiley:

muckles:

Andrejs:
How long can drive legaly new truck without O licence disk.

Upto 9 hours a day, upto 10 hours twice a week, Max 90 hours in a forthnight, basically same as a truck with a disc. :smiley:

Really■■?

Wouldn’t it be simpler if the OP asked to transport Office:
Does it need an O license?
How long is the truck been on hire for?
Have you applied for an O licence for it?
Then when they do their daily checks and note NIL defects they can also note down it’s a hire vehicle, then the onus falls on the operator

I am not trying to be a smart ■■■ here but there seems to be a lot of confusion / misdescription in the answers above about an O licence and an O licence vehicle disk.

The O licence is specific to one individual / partnership / company and one site. The O licence will be for a set number of vehicles and trailers to be operated from that site by that individual etc.

Which vehicles you choose to put on that licence is up to you (excepting that sometimes the types are restricted, ie no artics. perhaps).

You can add, or subtract, these vehicles on line in minutes. You can have an empty slot but you can’t put more in total on than the licence says. (If you want to do that you have to vary the licence, which takes some time and money, and you can’t add the vehicle until given authority, which might be interim or permanent)

After you have added a vehicle it seems to take varying amounts of time to receive the actual disc specific to the vehicle you have added.

This gets you to the anomaly in that the “rules” say that you must display the vehicle disc. That’s why we print out the vehicle list from the operator licence online to show we have put that vehicle onto the licence and are waiting for the disc. As somebody else up above said it’s like the last days of the tax disc, everything is recorded and available online, but the rules still say paper must be there.

I know there are other rules where you can use a vehicle for less than 28 days or whatever and not put it on your operators licence etc. but I am afraid I still don’t see why you would do that. If the extra vehicle takes you over your total allocation you are operating it without an operating licence and DVSA presumably have live access to the database.
If we hire a vehicle (which is very rare in fact), say because we have had a breakdown, I take the broken one off the O Licence and put the hired one on. When the broken one is fixed I take the hired one off and put ours back on. It just seems to me that its better for the driver to be driving in a vehicle that is on the database than not. Less chance of wasting time in a DVSA stop ?

If I have got this wrong, or are missing something, somebody please tell me :laughing:

None of this really answers andrejs original post. Probably the best answer was above somewhere, go and ask your transport manager.

A lot of typing for a Saturday morning, but it is pixxing down outside :frowning:

manski:

simcor:

AFAIK.

The rules come from the days before the online system, so adding a hire vehicle was more paperwork. Especially if you’re only hiring a vehicle for a short period, a day or even a couple of weeks, by the time the disc arrives you’ve sent the vehicle back to the rental company and you still are required to post the disc back.

peirre:

If Andrejs works for who I think he does there might be a language barrier.

If he tries saying the following phrase as quick as possible his boss might understand.

Ar ya al roit boss thar new wagon hint got an Ooo Lience thingy yat? :smiley:

muckles:
The rules come from the days before the online system, so adding a hire vehicle was more paperwork. Especially if you’re only hiring a vehicle for a short period, a day or even a couple of weeks, by the time the disc arrives you’ve sent the vehicle back to the rental company and you still are required to post the disc back.

Yes, I agree, they need to update. I am sure it gives you the option online to say the disc has been destroyed ?

muckles:

Aah …the worzles :laughing:

peirre:

muckles:

Aah …the worzles :laughing:

:laughing: , Wrong part of the Country, but I understand why you think that from what I’ve written, :smiley: think more The sinigng postman.

manski:
If we hire a vehicle (which is very rare in fact), say because we have had a breakdown, I take the broken one off the O Licence and put the hired one on. When the broken one is fixed I take the hired one off and put ours back on. It just seems to me that its better for the driver to be driving in a vehicle that is on the database than not. Less chance of wasting time in a DVSA stop ?

:frowning:

Do you not have a margin on your license for just such a scenario?.. Like you, we rarely hire, but I’ve never taken one off to put a hire on, just used the margin.

The issue I could see is not so much putting them on the licence, but taking them off. If after having had a short term hire or demonstrator on your licence you fail to take it off immediately, and that will happen on occasion, when the next user tries to add it to their licence the following day or even later the same day, the DVSA system will reject the request because that registration is still on your licence and a vehicle cannot be on more than one licence at once. This will lead to an invoice for that days charges looking for a home. The second user won’t feel the need to pay for a vehicle he can’t use ans the hire company won’t want loose a days earnings due to hirer one’s oversight.

muckles:

peirre:

If Andrejs works for who I think he does there might be a language barrier.

If he tries saying the following phrase as quick as possible his boss might understand.

I ask planners but they answer -we don t have nothing.Monday i will ask shift manager.Yesterday i sent email for DVSA and ask about driving duration without disk.Can see what they answer.