NVQ

Any thoughts on the current incarnation of the LGV NVQ 2 qualification??

Ive just signed up to it independantly because I can get it for free, and I can get funding for 2 days Driver CPC training by completing it.

Most employers have never heard of it and those that have do not seem to consider it relevant at interviews from what I have read BUT … if its all free and you get free dcpc hours from it then go for it :smiley:

NVQ; Not Very Qualified. :laughing:
I did Level 2 for Earthmoving plant operating in '98, and it was shocking that some trainees got these “qualfications” when their operating skills were questionable.
In my opinion, it proves you know how it should be done, but doesn’t mean you can actually do it. I’ve got the lorry NVQ2 and all I did was drive someone around for a day. Had some stupid questionaire to do which asked something completely unrelated to transport; Wrote and ticked any old crap and still got a useless piece of paper to clutter a draw with.

Who do you sign up with?
Is it free for everyone?
How do you get funding towards cpc?

NVQ is a waste of time, it doesn’t even count as hours towards the dcpc and is recognised by no one.

Jack-knife:
Who do you sign up with?
Is it free for everyone?
How do you get funding towards cpc?

The training company is Hewlett in Leeds. Apparently you have to work in Yorkshire or the Midlands for at least 16 hours per week at a company with less than 250 employees.

You complete the NVQ 2 which involves a registration with lots of form filling, an observation for a day in the truck, followed by a professional discussion. When qualified they will then fund 2 days Driver CPC training. All of this is free of charge for me.

The assessor who came to my home today to do registration said they have loads of funding but cant get the drivers arsed to do it!!

I dont mind doing the NVQ if its free and I can get part funded DCPC.

N= Not
V= Very
Q= Qualified

coreysboys:
The assessor who came to my home today to do registration said they have loads of funding but cant get the drivers arsed to do it!!

The FACT is they have NO funding that can be used to supply DCPC. What they are doing is diverting Government funding from NVQ to enable them to ‘give away’ DCPC. There isn’t ANY government funding for DCPC.

The amount of ‘funding’ these people get for each NVQ they manage to con people to sign up to is rediculous. Last figure I heard was £1600 but I may be wrong. That’s our taxes being spent for some guy to come along, fill in a load of forms, watch you at work for a day then have a ‘conversation’ with you.

These so called ‘training establishments’ then claim they are giving the DCPC away for free out of the goodness of their hearts … which is a load of bollox. Without the ‘free’ DCPC attached nobody would take the NVQ on. Without the ‘funding’ from the NVQ they wouldn’t be giving the DCPC away. It is - in my opinion - one big con. I have also heard of training providers being pulled for this and having ‘funding’ revoked.

And yes it is just sour grapes 'cos I can’t get any government ‘funding’ to let me give away DCPC. And yes I lose out on business to some of these ‘funded’ establishments. :unamused:

Could you pm me contact details please. Sounds good to me.
Thanks in advance Jack!

I endured this con and SAFED; Two big money wasting exercises. Before any “training providers” claim SAFED improves your driving, my first attempt in a “thirsty old Cat engine” beat all other motors on the fleet.

I used to assess these courses and I heard they had been abolished, but I must be wrong. Mind you, many of these big companies get greedy and then go under without anyone getting their NVQ certificates. In fact I used to work for one of the biggest in the area before it went belly up, to everyone’s surprise.

shep532:

coreysboys:

The FACT is they have NO funding that can be used to supply DCPC. What they are doing is diverting Government funding from NVQ to enable them to ‘give away’ DCPC. There isn’t ANY government funding for DCPC.

The amount of ‘funding’ these people get for each NVQ they manage to con people to sign up to is rediculous. Last figure I heard was £1600 but I may be wrong. That’s our taxes being spent for some guy to come along, fill in a load of forms, watch you at work for a day then have a ‘conversation’ with you.

These so called ‘training establishments’ then claim they are giving the DCPC away for free out of the goodness of their hearts … which is a load of bollox. Without the ‘free’ DCPC attached nobody would take the NVQ on. Without the ‘funding’ from the NVQ they wouldn’t be giving the DCPC away. It is - in my opinion - one big con. I have also heard of training providers being pulled for this and having ‘funding’ revoked.

And yes it is just sour grapes 'cos I can’t get any government ‘funding’ to let me give away DCPC. And yes I lose out on business to some of these ‘funded’ establishments. :unamused:

No funding for the DCPC ,True But there should be, All those Drivers who are not in work or are/have been off the road through sickness,for some time , are all going to be ,up the creak without … come 2014, if they somehow haven’t done it by then,

If this government really wants to help people back into work, then it should provide some form of funding so those out of work don’t become unemployable because of legislation they allowed to come into force, be it by them providing it in the way of a interest free loan and negotiate special discounted rates with providers , or by just funding it, along with the digi card fee,

As doing that will be cheaper than paying out benefits long term, as it removes the excuse of not being able to do the job they would normally do,

NVQ about how to drive a lorry? What like go to collage to sit in a classroom?

:laughing:

merc0447:
NVQ about how to drive a lorry? What like go to collage to sit in a classroom?

:laughing:

Its a National ‘VOCATIONAL’ Qualification, not a National ‘THEORETICAL’ Qualification.

What’s happened to this and SAFED assessments? Nobody mentions it anymore…