Number plates.

I think most of us are aware that European trucks and trailers are registered as separate entities thus having different number plates.

My question is why sometimes I see for example a Polish unit pulling eg a German trailer thus displaying a German number plate to the rear. So, if this is legal then how come UK reg trucks need to display a UK plate whilst pulling a foreign trailer? Surely what is legal in EU land should be legal here too?

Also, if for example a UK truck was in Spain pulling a Spanish trailer would he need to display both UK and Spanish plates on the trailer?

Here in DK when pulling for eg IRL trls off the dock we put on any old UK plate just to keep the filth off our backs as to display no plate at all attracts attention. Of course its not ‘legal’ and nor would be having a plate same as the tractor unit. A bit of a grey area.

I’m with you OP. It makes no sense to display a UK plate on a foreign trailer.

If we leave the EU…then maybe…

As you rightly say, trucks and trailers are registered as 2 seperate units abroad, whereby in dear old blighty, the vehicle towing a trailer is the responsibility of the owner/driver of the towed vehicle.
So when a foreign driver, deposits a trailer at a port of exit, for onward travel to another country, his legal rights on that trailer diminishes, and like proper drivers, he removes his number plate, so as he never loses it, and as its illegal in the UK, for failing to display a number plate, we as true professionals oblige.
Our system in blighty has never changed, its the responsibility for the hauling company, to have proper insurance in place, which in turn also covers the trailer being towed, and obviously the number on the towing vehicle, should also be shewn on the towed vehicle, and that includes caravans etc, of course the only other exception to the rule, is the insurance for the goods within the said trailer, which is covered by G.I.T.

the maoster:
I think most of us are aware that European trucks and trailers are registered as separate entities thus having different number plates.

My question is why sometimes I see for example a Polish unit pulling eg a German trailer thus displaying a German number plate to the rear. So, if this is legal then how come UK reg trucks need to display a UK plate whilst pulling a foreign trailer? Surely what is legal in EU land should be legal here too?

Also, if for example a UK truck was in Spain pulling a Spanish trailer would he need to display both UK and Spanish plates on the trailer?

I think it is insurance matter.

In UK pulling vehicle’s insurance covers trailer. In Poland, trailer has separate insurance.

It might be that for example French trailers are insured only to minimum requirements when abroad, so taking them “under the truck’s insurance” when in Britain may extend the cover?

I think you should be rather worried about opposite situation: Polish tractor towing British trailer not only does not displays any legal number plate on the back (as British made (or cardboard made :stuck_out_tongue:) repetition of the numbers of the towing vehicle does not work as a number plate for trailer) and if it has standard insurance, trailer is not covered.

My friend was importing horse trailers from Holland, that has similar solution, and he has problems to tow them in Poland, as it were considered to be unregistered vehicle…

I know that it is now possible to buy insurance in Poland that covers also towed vehicle (in that case trailer, but I think it was designed for recovery vehicles) and the proper companies doing traction work for UK companies do posses this, but do every cowboy has this insurance?

Edited: just found out I was wrong. Pulling vehicle’s insurance covers trailer in Poland as well, when in motion. But there is a legal obligation to insure trailer separately as well for the damages it can cause when uncoupled. So while Polish truck pulling British trailer would be illegal in Poland (unless the trailer has that insurance) it seems that all is perfectly OK when in UK (apart from the number plate questioN).

I hardly ever used to put a number plate on the back of a German, Dutch or Scandinavian trailer in the UK and I know for a fact that if you did so in Germany and your UK plate hindered the view of the actual registration plate then you’d get a fine. Its nothing more than Britain making you display your truck plate on the trailer so they can trace you in case you do something as heinous as going 44mph on a single carriage way road, in my opinion.

robinhood_1984:
I hardly ever used to put a number plate on the back of a German, Dutch or Scandinavian trailer in the UK and I know for a fact that if you did so in Germany and your UK plate hindered the view of the actual registration plate then you’d get a fine. Its nothing more than Britain making you display your truck plate on the trailer so they can trace you in case you do something as heinous as going 44mph on a single carriage way road, in my opinion.

Point me to the relevant rule please.

206doorman:

robinhood_1984:

You’ll have to ask Vosa and Northumbria police instead, they’re the only ones who have given me grief over it and threatened me with what they call “unsafe load”. They couldn’t prove that my story that it must have fallen off wasn’t true so had no choice but to wave me on.

206doorman:

robinhood_1984:

Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

Specifically this section which states

(2) A registration plate must be fixed on the rear of–

(a)the vehicle, or

(b)where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer, or

(c)where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer

It doesn’t say it must be a plate with the same registration as the vehicle, however I think that is implied.

A couple of weeks ago I got pulled by vosa at Immingham.
I drove passed a galaxy that was parked just after the truckstop.
I had a German registered trailer behind me.
I had just done a trailer change at Ikea Doncaster, and I had forgotten to hang my plate on.
I received a prohibition.
It was Lifted as soon as I hung it on the trailer.
They could of given me a £60.00 fine, but a passed the attitude test.
Nb the fine will soon go up to £100.00

Colingl:

206doorman:

robinhood_1984:

Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

Specifically this section which states

(2) A registration plate must be fixed on the rear of–

(a)the vehicle, or

(b)where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer, or

(c)where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer

It doesn’t say it must be a plate with the same registration as the vehicle, however I think that is implied.

I think that point is covered in Reg.2(2) [which deals with interpretation]

Reg.2(2) Unless the context otherwise requires, a reference in these Regulations to–
(a)a registration plate fixed or to be fixed to a vehicle, or.
(b)a registration mark displayed or to be displayed on a plate,.
is to be construed, where the vehicle is towing a trailer, so as to include a reference to the registration plate which is required under these Regulations to be fixed to the trailer or a reference to the mark displayed on the plate fixed to that trailer.

zippo:
A couple of weeks ago I got pulled by vosa at Immingham.
I drove passed a galaxy that was parked just after the truckstop.
I had a German registered trailer behind me.
I had just done a trailer change at Ikea Doncaster, and I had forgotten to hang my plate on.
I received a prohibition.
It was Lifted as soon as I hung it on the trailer.
They could of given me a £60.00 fine, but a passed the attitude test.
Nb the fine will soon go up to £100.00

you just hung it on the trailer as in from the doors with dog clips an a chain… and they let you go is that what your saying ■■?

No, I have a cunning way of hanging my number plate so that it fits over the German plate, and is even lit by the number plate lights.
I personally dislike seeing number plates swinging about on dog clips.
Especially when there is a proper mount, as you get on uk and Irish trailers.
But, the vosa at Immingham don’t care where they are on ferry trailers, just a long as there is one showing.

zippo:
No, I have a cunning way of hanging my number plate so that it fits over the German plate, and is even lit by the number plate lights.
I personally dislike seeing number plates swinging about on dog clips.
Especially when there is a proper mount, as you get on uk and Irish trailers.
But, the vosa at Immingham don’t care where they are on ferry trailers, just a long as there is one showing.

Ah that’s what I was getting at as the number plate has to be illuminated… I use 2 bunggies to strap mine over the trailer plate so its also got a light on it .