Number plates with name on in windscreen

Yorkshire Tramper:
I find them ridiculous and childish at best. Do they have one at home too stuck on their front window?

My mrs has had a house plaque, number made up with the name Junior on it , that’s the cats name , I thought it was a bit strange , but then I guess she thought the same when at one of our previous houses , I painted the garage door blue & white quarters ( brfc on quarters ) , blue wooden from door , white wooden windows with blue window seals ( it seemed a good idea at the time )
Same as the new fashion of orange tinted windscreens , looks stupid to me but it’s not my car , so upto them

Yorkshire Tramper:
I find them ridiculous and childish at best. Do they have one at home too stuck on their front window?

Behind the frilly velour front room curtains? :laughing:

In answer to the original OP:
I don’t and won’t
Worst: Too many to recall
Best: “Happiness” and “Gramps”

crunch13:
I personally never have for the simple reason that if I ■■■■ up, I don’t want my name visible.

In a nutshell.

It’s the HGV equivalent of those jobs where you have to wear your name on a badge, it just makes it too easy for someone to blame you for something because they’ve remembered a name, even when it’s some daft monicker in the windscreen.

youtube.com/watch?v=_YMVPXmaKds

I’ve never understood it, along with tassly curtains, collections of mascots, huge light up displays on the inside of the cab etc.

Another thing, when “sickboi” is off on holiday, does he leave his nameplate in the windscreen so he can continue to be blamed for stuff even when it’s some agency driver covering for him?

Nothing wrong with that to be fair. It’s their personal space. It’s no different to those who buy football shirts and put their name. When there is over 50 units in your yard all the same makes it easy to identify

Well now, plates and Poofy curtains, hmmm …it’s a bit like wearing a pink polo shirt and/or crocs, if you look cool and macho enough you can carry it off :sunglasses: . :laughing:

I freely admit,.even confess :smiley: to having my name, or nickname…(.no it does NOT start with a ‘C’ before anybody jumps in :laughing: ) and a Newcastle Utd pennant up there also, but then again I dont GA(flying)F what anybody thinks or says about me, never have in fact, .as I ain’t that insecure :sunglasses: …so bring it on man :wink: :laughing:

Btw the lad who drives ‘my’ truck on Mon and Tues is told to take out my nameplate for reasons already discussed…but he’s got the cheek and audacity to replace my Newcastle pennant with a ■■■■ Liverpool one. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Never did , never will .
But each to their own - I just hate anything in the windscreen . I used to do a bit of weekend work and I drove one lads lorry on a regular basis . The amount of crap he had stuck to the windscreen was unbeleivable , bull fighting spears , dreamcatchers, pennants of his favourite footy team and other assorted crap . 5 minute job to remove it all and stick it in the top locker where I left it . A bit of roaring and shouting on the Monday morning when he arrived back to work about me interfeering with his stuff but I simply ignored him . The next weekend I did the same and when the shouting started I told him he had a choice - next weekend either you take it down and store it where and how you want or I’ll take it down and put it in the nearest wheelybin where he could collect it at his convenience :smiley: :smiling_imp:

Last time I had a problem with it .

WheelsofCardiff:
Nothing wrong with that to be fair. It’s their personal space. It’s no different to those who buy football shirts and put their name. When there is over 50 units in your yard all the same makes it easy to identify

Any adult who puts wears a football shirt if his favourite team is a bit of a saddo to be fair, but those who get a players name on the back or their own name needs sectioning

robroy:
=but he’s got the cheek and audacity to replace my Newcastle pennant with a [zb] Liverpool one. :open_mouth: :laughing:

That is shocking! Doesn’t he know that should be a Sunderland pennant? :stuck_out_tongue:

Still plenty of West Country drivers follow this tradition, mine carries the nickname ‘Jazzy B’ that my wife gave me because of my love of Jazz. I get cheerful waves and smiles every day from passing traffic.

ArcticMonkey:

WheelsofCardiff:

Any adult who puts wears a football shirt if his favourite team is a bit of a saddo to be fair, but those who get a players name on the back or their own name needs sectioning

You just don t understand mate , :laughing: …obviously not a true football fan.
It’s pointless trying to explain to somebody who doesn’t (and never will) ‘‘get it’’…,but to some people their club is a passion,.a love, as is their football.
I can’t explain why, but you would never understand…as I said you either ‘‘get it’’ or you don’t.
So ridicule it as much as you want, it means nothing anyway to those who know, …that’s your opinion,.and you’re entitled to it. : :wink: :smiley:

I’ve never bothered with a name plate in the windscreen, not even when CB’s were a common thing.

Up here in Scotland, a Rangers or Celtic football shirt could see you relegated to the back of the Q in some places. Same with a Hearts or Hib’s shirt, to a lesser extent.
Yes, there are still some people who take it that seriously. I’m another one who “doesn’t get the football thing”. Although this isn’t about the football teams as such.

Going back quite a few years, the late 90’s (close to 30 years ago :open_mouth: ), I worked for Exel on the BSD contract out of Bellshill.
One of the guys at Dalziell Steel Mill (could’ve been Clydebridge) had a joke played on him. Someone mocked up an internal works memo. It was done in such a way that this guy would see it. They wore coloured boilersuits depending on which department/job they worked on. Dark Blue, Dark Green, Maroon, underneath the black filth of steel work. Anyway, he wore either blue or green and according to this memo he was going to have to change from blue to green (or green to blue). So he was in the office at the start of his shift, this memo was on the desk so he read it upside down. He then grabbed the memo, marched straight to H.R and handed in his notice there and then, from a £25,000pa wage job, on the strength of having to change the colour of his boilersuit :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Luckily the H.R person asked why, saw the memo and explained it wasn’t a real company memo. So he didn’t jack the job in after all. But it does illustrate how seriously some folk take it up here.

I have never got the football thing myself, certainly not to the degree that peope take it. I have literally stopped fights between friends arguing over it also dressing up in the kit to watch it on the TV is a bit odd to me. I do tend to find though if you are stood amongst a group of drivers at work who speak of nothing else that it somehow makes you feel inadequate by not knowing anything about it. As soon as somebdy starts up talking about football I always make a quick exit as it bores me to death. Must admit though after watching the Lionesses on the TV I sort of started to get it more.

Yorkshire Tramper:
I have never got the football thing myself, certainly not to the degree that peope take it. I have literally stopped fights between friends arguing over it also dressing up in the kit to watch it on the TV is a bit odd to me. I do tend to find though if you are stood amongst a group of drivers at work who speak of nothing else that it somehow makes you feel inadequate by not knowing anything about it. As soon as somebdy starts up talking about football I always make a quick exit as it bores me to death. Must admit though after watching the Lionesses on the TV I sort of started to get it more.

It’s just a bit of fun putting a team shirt on in the pub to watch a game, not sure I’d go in a strange pub in a strange town on my own to do it for obvious reasons,.and I don’t wear a club shirt in a local pub anyway, but maybe a generic t.or polo shirt with the club badge on but if/when I go to St James I’ll wear my black and white stripes with pride along with about 50000 others.

The wife has been long suffering for years with my football,…poor lass :laughing:
I’ll even plan which week we go on holiday around where and if Newcastle will be on tv :blush: …or England if it’s a World cup year or Euros…
We’ve walked miles around foreign cities over the years whilst on weekend breaks or holiday resorts, looking for a bar that is showing the game, with my (very understanding) wife following me :smiley: .
She’s been to a couple of games with me in the past, but she’s sat there wearing my ‘Shearer no9’’ shirt playing on her phone :laughing: , so nowadays she goes shopping if I go to a game, or I’ll go with my mate more than likely.

When my team is on tv I’ve just GOT to watch them, and if I’m in the truck it is on the radio while driving, or I’ll find a Sky Sports or BT pub at night when parked up if my
team is playing.

As I said those who get it,.get it, those who don’t, don’t… :bulb:

robroy:
As I said those who get it,.get it, those who don’t, don’t… :bulb:

Fully understand where you are coming from, I don’t knock anyone who is like you, a lot of my mates are the same, soon as they start up with football talk, I am away with the fairies. I am just one of those who don’t get it. Football fans to me are like Vegans, they just don’t stop talking about it. That’s my only gripe.

I wrote a long reply but it kept saying error, then i screenshot it and it only shows half my post.
Also is anyone elses posts having to be okayed by the mods before its posted or is it just mine?

ArcticMonkey:
I wrote a long reply but it kept saying error, then i screenshot it and it only shows half my post.

Don’t know, but the bug has obviously gone now.

Also is anyone elses posts having to be okayed by the mods before its posted or is it just mine?

There are a few members on premod, usually as a result of persistent rule breaking and/or generally making life hard work for the moderators.

ArcticMonkey:

I sometimes get that when I try to use the emojis on my phone instead of the old fashioned ones. But haven’t had it for a while. I was also wondering if you had too many quotes included in your reply. That would have been worth deleting them.

stu675:

ArcticMonkey:

I sometimes get that when I try to use the emojis on my phone instead of the old fashioned ones. But haven’t had it for a while. I was also wondering if you had too many quotes included in your reply. That would have been worth deleting them.

Might have been an emoji which i used. No idea why i’m having my messages pre checked, i don’t recall putting anything bad recently