Number of shifts in a week?

Just looking for a definitive answer. As far as I am aware as long as your driving hours do not exceed the permitted driving hours and hou ave enough daily rest. For example…to my my mind if such an event arose you can work 1 hour and rest 11 hours for your 6 days which would create 12 shifts of 1 hours in a week… in other words there is no limit on how many shifts are worked before the 6 consecutive 24 hour shifts since the end of you last weekly rest comes around. So, is this correct ? Definitive answers only please. In the 54 page VOSA guide it does seem to confirm this is ok.

Kerbdog:
Just looking for a definitive answer. As far as I am aware as long as your driving hours do not exceed the permitted driving hours and hou ave enough daily rest. For example…to my my mind if such an event arose you can work 1 hour and rest 11 hours for your 6 days which would create 12 shifts of 1 hours in a week… in other words there is no limit on how many shifts are worked before the 6 consecutive 24 hour shifts since the end of you last weekly rest comes around. So, is this correct ? Definitive answers only please. In the 54 page VOSA guide it does seem to confirm this is ok.

Its correct, we’ve conformation from the horses mouth in the safety and law forum :smiley:
All you gotta do is make sure you don’t exceed 144 hours .

Yes. As I thought. An’older’ gentleman know all telling me you can only do 1 shift in 24 hours… the tag line he used of “I know what it is lad, drivers rep and trainer for 17 years” really made me want to check what I thought I already knew and be correct !

There are two separate rules which mention 24 hours

One is in regards to daily rest and the other is in regards to weekly rest

After reading both separate rules some try to match them with each other and that’s when the confusion begins …

Kerbdog:
In the 54 page VOSA guide it does seem to confirm this is ok.

Interesting, I’d have thought something like that wouldn’t be possible.
Anyhow, which VOSA guide are you referring to please? I have one I acquired at Truckfest a few years ago which is probably well out of date by now and wouldn’t mind getting a new one.

ROG:
There are two separate rules which mention 24 hours

One is in regards to daily rest and the other is in regards to weekly rest

After reading both separate rules some try to match them with each other and that’s when the confusion begins …

Its nothing to do with separate rules about 24 hours. After all the discussions we’ve had on the subject in the past i did find out where the logic comes from, although the descriptions have not made it easy to fathom.
There was a case years ago that confirmed that as long as you did not exceed your weekly driving hours then you could indeed have more than “six driving periods”. And thats exactly where it comes from the whole 144 hour malarkey. The 24 hour period is still a valid option for someones defence if they exceed 144 hours in a week, but have not done more than six shifts :laughing:
So there you have it, your 144 hours allowance comes exactly from some case law, as does a 24 hour period :laughing:

Wilberforce:

Kerbdog:
In the 54 page VOSA guide it does seem to confirm this is ok.

Interesting, I’d have thought something like that wouldn’t be possible.
Anyhow, which VOSA guide are you referring to please? I have one I acquired at Truckfest a few years ago which is probably well out of date by now and wouldn’t mind getting a new one.

GV262 at a guess

Google will lead you to a PDF download

You can work as many shifts per week as you like providing you don’t exceed 56 hours driving per week and 90 hours over a fortnight, take the correct amount of breaks and the correct amount of daily and weekly rest, This has to be done within 6x24 hour periods.
Some say you can only have six cards. This is incorrect. You can have as many cards as you like.
Some say if you work a 13 hour shift and take 9 hours off, The shift counts as 15 hours. This is also incorrect. Your new 24 hour period will start at the end of your daily rest, reduced daily rest, weekly rest, or reduced weekly rest.

I always remember 144 hours. It comes in useful if someone offers me a quick early morning job on my 7th day.

This is another question for Tachograph. If I had available to me 2 reduced weekly rests, would it be possible and legal for me to work on 21 calendar days in a row? I’m thinking yes.

mucker85:
This is another question for Tachograph. If I had available to me 2 reduced weekly rests, would it be possible and legal for me to work on 21 calendar days in a row? I’m thinking yes.

I asked this question before:

If you have a reduced weekly rest (less than 45hrs) in week1 you must have minimum 45hrs weekly rest the next time you take weekly rest in week2.
The weekly rest hrs you were SHORT in week1 must be paid back “en bloc” by the 3rd week following the week you took the reduced weekly rest.

If you have TWO separate periods of reduced weekly rest in the SAME driving week you DON’T owe any “payback” weekly rest hrs.

You could work a full month of driving shift/44hrs rest/driving shift/44hrs rest/driving shift/44hrs rest etc etc and NOT be legal simply because you’ve never once taken the min 45hrs weekly rest :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

mucker85:

You could work on every calendar day all year

Finish 0200 Saturday then restart 2300 sunday = 45 hours off every week

limeyphil:
Some say if you work a 13 hour shift and take 9 hours off, The shift counts as 15 hours. This is also incorrect. Your new 24 hour period will start at the end of your daily rest, reduced daily rest, weekly rest, or reduced weekly rest.

Really?

ROG:

mucker85:

You could work on every calendar day all year

Finish 0200 Saturday then restart 2300 sunday = 45 hours off every week

Ah yes, good one.

the maoster:

limeyphil:

Really?

Limey is right - drivers talk about shift lengths instead of rest lengths - the law refers to rest lengths in a 24 period not shift lengths

ROG:

the maoster:

limeyphil:

Really?

Limey is right - drivers talk about shift lengths instead of rest lengths - the law refers to rest lengths in a 24 period not shift lengths

A rose by any other name is still a rose. Shift lengths, rest lengths, it’s all pedantry really. Confusion occurs when meanings are blurred by different wording and we wonder why people misunderstand. I KNOW what Phil was getting at but it’s far more clear cut to count anything over a 13 hr shift or less than an 11 rest as a “15”, and then to say you may only do 3 x 15’s between weekly rests keeps things plain and simple.