Number and configuration of axles

Just after some opinion here as I’ve never been taught it or read about it anywhere - what would you prefer

4x2
6x2, driven axle rearmost
6x2, driven axle in the middle with a steering rear

If anyone has lived with both can you comment how they compare day to day. Thanks.

Ian G:
Just after some opinion here as I’ve never been taught it or read about it anywhere - what would you prefer

4x2

If anyone has lived with both can you comment how they compare day to day. Thanks.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

carryfast/wheel nut and possibly buycrider will cream themselves when reading this :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the last thread of this kind went to 5 pages :exclamation: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Ian G:

4x2

How much are the wages for driving each one?

Beyond that I really don’t care that much. :wink:

You missed out 6x4, people are going to be unhappy with you for that. :wink:

I’d like to drive a 6x2 with the drive in the middle, and a 4 axle trailer :wink: 1 at the front 3 at the back. Sadly not allowed in this country, or what I’m talking about anyways :wink: Want those Scandinavian 60t Rigid with Artic Trailers.

6x2 with rear axle being driven are pretty common.

6x2 with mid axle being driven are usually scania’s.

I guess the reason most prefer the rear axle driven is weight over drive axle / weight req’d before tax drops…

The mid driven axle would give a tighter turn circle though.

4x2’s the easiest to drive with good traction and get my vote, usually with big fuel tank so you don’t have to stop every day. Rear lift 6x2 are used in low traction situations as they provide better traction than mid lift and a tighter turning circle but do in my opion look absolutely minging and plain wrong. Mid lift 6x2 with the axle down can wheel spin with mid weight so you have to faff about pressing the load transfer button.

Ian G:

4x2

4x2 is great for manouverability.

6x2 with the lift axle on the rear is a horrific beast. You’re OK when loaded but when empty the cab rocks around forward and backward like hell every time you go over a bump due to the short wheelbase. Sure its more manouverable than a 6x2 with mid lift but the ride is far better.

It’s gotta be an 8 wheeler :laughing: just not a horrid tridem rear bogie. I’d like to see the supermarkets using 8x4 units for their 20’ single axle trailers. :laughing:

What about a 6x2, rear drive mid steer? Ie Stralis. I want to see one of those babies pulling one of our ten metre twin axle rear steer trailers, bet that would spin round nicely.

tofer:
What about a 6x2, rear drive mid steer? Ie Stralis. I want to see one of those babies pulling one of our ten metre twin axle rear steer trailers, bet that would spin round nicely.

Nope, still steer better if you lift the tag, which you wouldn’t need with a 10m twin axle trailer due to the low weight.

Best for your job would be rear lift or 4x2.

What you really want is a Chinese six layout :slight_smile:

Scania and Iveco offer mid steer, don’t think Man and Volvo do, not sure about merc. Makes a difference at full weight, you feel sorry for the tyres when you see chaps manouvering at full weight and low speed, ouch.

waynedl:

tofer:

Nope, still steer better if you lift the tag, which you wouldn’t need with a 10m twin axle trailer due to the low weight.

Best for your job would be rear lift or 4x2.

True, they always run with a 4x2. It would just amuse me to see one of the big cab Stralis pulling a diddy trailer, like the day I saw a man TGA XXL 6x2 (or whatever it was) pulling a tiny single axle one stop trailer.