NR Evans any good?

Hi gents,

I’ve passed my class one, looking for work in North Wales area. Applied for NR Evans they got back to me in literally two minutes,

Not great reviews online, anyone got any up to date info on them?

Someone said you basically end up working for less than minimum wage! How can that be?

Many thanks, luke

Salaried paid and maxing out hours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lukebolger:
Hi gents,

I’ve passed my class one, looking for work in North Wales area. Applied for NR Evans they got back to me in literally two minutes,

Someone said you basically end up working for less than minimum wage! How can that be?

Many thanks, luke

Welcome to TNUK, if you’ve recently passed your test maybe give them a go to gain invaluable experience, they have good kit and will run legal then maybe after 6 months or so move on.

Go for it if they will take you on. Bear in mind that any experience good or bad is better than none and if you decide to move on then at least your next employer with have something to go on.

Good luck and remember you are never too old to learn.

If they are prepared to give you an opportunity as a newly qualified class 1 driver then
snap their hand off, as previous guys have stated you will gain invaluable experience only learnt on the job never mind the dough at this stage, you’re still “serving your time”
From what I know about NR Evans they have a nearly brand new fleet of Daf and Mercedes units and they do a lot of work for Tesco out of Litchfield which is dry goods
(Grocery they term it) delivered to stores.
Steep learning curve but my advice is grab it while it’s going

Thanks a lot for the advice guys,

I must say having passed my class one, I am very nervous about the reversing of the trailer. Didn’t get to do it much and I know I’ll ■■■■ it up a few times.

I’ve also never done tramping work.

What does it involve? Any advice you can give me? Also, how can you be doing loads of hours, surely I can’t so more than my 9 hours driving a day? Thanks!

They put me through my class 1 and if I’m honest there is good and bad points. Yes it’s paid per shift but I can’t remember the last time I did more than 12 hours. Gaerwen is a different depot and they have a lot of trampers. They do a lot of trunking work for DHL etc as well as Tesco and the milk for muller. Feel free to pm me and will help you with anything I can mate.

Edit to add that they will help you with reversing if you’ve got nerves about it and will do an assessment anyway regardless and if they know you’re a new pass they won’t take the ■■■■ either.

lukebolger:
Thanks a lot for the advice guys,

I must say having passed my class one, I am very nervous about the reversing of the trailer. Didn’t get to do it much and I know I’ll ■■■■ it up a few times.

I’ve also never done tramping work.

What does it involve? Any advice you can give me? Also, how can you be doing loads of hours, surely I can’t so more than my 9 hours driving a day? Thanks!

You need to learn all about the driving regs & wtd…Your driving hours are 9 a day…But can be extended to 10…Twice a week…The rest of your hours are made up of breaks,poa and other work…Wich can be 13hour days…Extended to 15hour days 3x a week…So you can easily rack up 65/70hrs a week…Especially tramping…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

lukebolger:
Hi gents,

Many thanks, luke

They now part of NFT distribution

lukebolger:

The job isn’t just driving though is it? It’ll be 9hrs driving plus up to 6hrs sat around waiting to be loaded/unloaded. Tramping with them involves leaving home in the wee hours of Monday morning and getting back late Friday/Saturday morning spending all week living in the truck.

Its not the worst company to work for, just a disorganised one where planning seems to be a swear word and you need a strong stomach at some of the abbatoirs you’ll be collecting from/delivering to especially Cardington and the meat packers at Stevenston in Scotland. My advice is if you’re offered the job take it and use it to get your first 6 months experience which will make applying for other jobs a lot easier as no haulier wants to be the first to send a newly qualified driver out with £100,000 of kit.

daftvader:
…Extended to 15hour days 3x a week…

daftvader,

Actually, I think you’ll find that it’s three times between weekly rest periods, which is NOT the same as “3x a week.”