Now then!

Things aint always as they seem.

Started at bidvest 4 weeks ago doing class 2. 18 and 26t.

Love the driving, i absolutely love it, even tho most of the trucks have over 600k on them and are a bit knackered.

Its hard work, everything is handball and its no fun but the money is good clearing £450 pw.

Not staying tho. Annualised hours. I do 4 days out of seven at 12.75 hours per day. But your runs are never that long. Supposed to be doing 51 hrs per week but its always less so you end up owing them hours. Which means you get called in on your day off. I dont like the sound of that tbh. So im looking for something else. Has anyone done tippers in tge north west? Everywhere wants experence but how do you get it!

Or anything else really if i could clear £400 pw id be happy. But this is donkey work

I am in the North West mate (Warrington), do you fancy class 1 mate?

Loads of work going.

Im only class 2 bud and i stuck a load of money into that! I do want to do it but not just yet, want to get more c2 experence, only passed in march. Taking a 26t round the city centre is not easy!

Why not just take your time and stretch the run out to fill that 12.75 hours…?

Roymondo:
Why not just take your time and stretch the run out to fill that 12.75 hours…?

Simple.

I never had any problems doing that.

antogoof:
Im only class 2 bud and i stuck a load of money into that! I do want to do it but not just yet, want to get more c2 experence, only passed in march. Taking a 26t round the city centre is not easy!

if your having problems taking a rigid around city centres then stay away from class 1 work would be my advice
by the sounds of it your earning and bringing home more money than many class 1 drivers do, so stick with the class 2 as there really is some decent money around for the small truck drivers to make
try and drag the jobs out to make your time up, you get no medal or extra pay for being to quick, your a professional driver who gets paid by the hour the more hours the more wedge in your back pocket

I was on annualised hours at my last job 2600hrs a year! Or 45+5! First year daft arse here used to do it the way it was supposed to be done, so you’d owe them a ton of hours. My record was 60hrs! But a fella at my depot owed over 200+ he just built them up, year upon year as they carried over! So to give that 60 hours back to the company you’d either have to come in for 6 Saturdays and basically work for nought or sell holidays and get nothing back!

So anyway long story short, I stayed out for 10hours a day. Even if it was one local drop I didnt care what anyone said. Annualised hours is an American time management concept and the Americans can ■■■■■■■ keep it! It’s up to the company to plan me out for the day. I agree to give them 50hrs a week of my time so it’s no my fault if they can’t give me 50hrs work in return.

OP you’re not the only one to jack handball food jobs for tippers, there’re six of us that all jacked the same company to go tipper driving. One ex colleague called us “lazy” and he’s right. :laughing: Same money on tippers, less hours (not annualised) no handball and no ignorant chefs to encounter. Try looking on indeed website or google tipper driver jobs.

On rigid tippers, most companies are paid by the load, rather than daywork on sites nowadays, so it is always a case of getting as many loads in per day as you can. Problem is with other drivers on the same run, if they are sensible guys you are ok, but if you get muppets that drive like lunatics, then you’ll find yourself maxing your hours to get the same number of loads in. Remember there is very little ‘other work’ on tippers. Big machines will load you within three minutes, and unloading is a case of pulling a lever in the cab and waiting for less than two minutes before you off on your next run.

I dont know, i dug holes for 13 years, up to my neck in ■■■■ and working all hours, now i dont mind a long shift but handball is a ■■■■■■■■. Im not expecting an easy ride but slightly easier would be nice! Been looking at jobs and i have a few to ring this week so wish me luck!! Thanks for the replies by the way.

Another thing is all the tipper jobs ive seen want experience, how do you get experience if you cant get in!

antogoof:
Another thing is all the tipper jobs ive seen want experience, how do you get experience if you cant get in!

Around Oxford, tipper firms are training people; Earthline will take those with no experience and put them out with a driver for upto a week, then they become relief drivers if no lorries are available. You then get the next available motor and you can go on an unoffical waiting list for a sleeper cabbed motor if you fancy tramping.
Smiths have trained people (was always a dead mans’ shoes job on there). Einigs pay top wages and the kit’s all new/newish so you probably need experience there, but there are others if you Google for Oxfordshire tipper hire that will take on any Joe ■■■■ because they’re such a bunch of ■■■■■ themselves… :wink:

Muckaway:
. One ex colleague called us “lazy” and he’s right. :laughing: Same money on tippers, less hours (not annualised) no handball and no ignorant chefs to encounter. Try looking on indeed website or google tipper driver jobs.

I call that working smarter …not harder :smiley:

Smarter not harder ftw.