Novice question on securing loads?

Hi all, having read through quite a few of the posts on here, I have to say its a great source of info so thanks to all of you for providing your experience and knowledge… I would really like to hear your comments with regards to the load securing of the attached.

The image shows a trailer full of empty, palletised 210l steel drums, they are banded 4 to a pallet with the approx weight of each loaded pallet being 90kg max and always stacked 3 high.

The image doesn’t show it, but as a rule, these pallets are jammed into to the trailers so they are loaded fully front to back with almost no gap between pallets.

As you can see, there are no straps or restraints, no sideboards and the curtains are not load bearing.

My questions which I am having some conflicting info fed back from the various legal sources;

Should the load be secured to the bed? (legally or in your opinion)
What would “your” best solution for load security, be it strapping, sideboards, nets given the weight stated etc?

Used to carry these. Other than running a timber along the edge of the outer barells and strapping over it there is not much you can do. Although thats not possible at three high, we only did them two high.

Legally I would say sideboards (not the one out your living room), a load bearing net or xl curtains. Although looking at that pic, thats a bog standard trailer.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The only way to secure it properly without using loads on ratchet straps on each row of drums is a empty pallet on top very top drums so you can strap in the middle or longer edge protector boards

In an ideal world ditch the 3rd row to start with on the basis that 3 high is too much aggro to secure properly.Then sort out the remaining two rows which will obviously then be a lot simpler.

Get another job…

Driving fridges. :smiley:

Probably want to cross strap every other row of pallets as it’s being loaded. If you got a pull that may at least satisfy DVSA that a decent effort has been made and they may even be happy with it. As it is then I doubt they would be ok with letting you carry on like that. But then you could just think what many drivers do…what’s my chance of actually being pulled? And run with it. Up to you, your the driver.

Thanks very much, the latest I have been informed by an experienced colleague, is that each row should be individually strapped, based on that it would be impossible given the type of trailer, unless some modifications were made to suspend from the top?

I can’t get my head round the legal side of things when I read the guidance, how would you interpret the below in this situation?

Transporting light palletised goods in curtained-sided vehicles
When deciding how to transport light palletised goods in curtain-sided vehicles, you should:

think carefully about the most appropriate securing method for the load
carry out a risk assessment that takes account of:
whether the load can be carried in a different body type
possible alternate securing methods that do not crush/damage the load
the risks of working at height when securing the load compared to the likely risks due to the load moving

You need to secure the load to reduce the risk of harm as far as is reasonably practicable.

Stacked light palletised goods

Stacked light palletised goods need to be secured in the same way as palletised goods over 400kg.

The best way is to use over-the-top lashings secured to the vehicle chassis or rave-to-rave.

Basically the greed of companies means a driver can’t strap that load properly. If it was 2 high you can strap it. At 3 high you can’t. But with it 3 high the company gets an extra 26 pallets on. So they can move in 2 loads what would require 3 trailers if it were only 2 high. And if the haulier told the customer no we are only taking it if it’s 2 high then they would just find another haulier who will take it 3 high. Business is business yet DVSA then expects a driver to perform a miracle and still strap it how they want.

What we do, with something similar but not quite the same, is feed a strap through the third actual pallet so that when you tighten it is pulling the base of that pallet down onto the drums below. I appreciate this means the drums on the top pallet are “secured” only by the banding between themselves and the pallet and it relies on the pallet not dismantling itself. It does rely on putting the stacks on full height, row by row, with a sensible, helpful, forklift driver and feeding the straps through as you go. (In our case the forks driver is generally the driver or the boss :laughing: who are all over 6’ tall :laughing: ) It’s not a perfect solution but looks quite good as there are lots of straps about :unamused:

The best method is as follows; Shut the curtains and go about your business.

I would be quite happy to take this load with a pallet on each of the top ones and strap over the pallet, then when you have tipped, take the extra pallets to the nearest pallet buyer :wink:

How did I manage when I loaded them 3 high like the picture on a flatbed then had to climb on top to spread the 2 sheets over them!!!

Beau Nydel:
How did I manage when I loaded them 3 high like the picture on a flatbed then had to climb on top to spread the 2 sheets over them!!!

Why don’t you enlighten us or at least let the OP know as it was him asking for advice rather than lots of explanation marks :unamused:
Personally as others have said I would put pallets on top and strap over, you may have an easier or better method though.

Empty drums banded up together tight, no weight and loaded tight up against each other.
In the old days, (and even now in the ‘‘real world’’ tbh :neutral_face: ) I would just put an internal (or 2 if enough straps) down the side of.each row and cross the back row, and they would not move as I don’t drive like a ■■■■ :bulb:

HOWEVER :unamused: …Vosa being Vosa :unamused: , they would want them strapped to within an inch of their life, as well as some of the purists on here, who are now going to agree with them.

wrighty1:

Beau Nydel:

Why don’t you enlighten us or at least let the OP know as it was him asking for advice rather than lots of explanation marks :unamused:
Personally as others have said I would put pallets on top and strap over, you may have an easier or better method though.

It was the job. You got given it and you did it. I’m still walking around so it must have been OK! !!!

robroy:
Empty drums banded up together tight, no weight and loaded tight up against each other.
In the old days, (and even now in the ‘‘real world’’ tbh :neutral_face: ) I would just put an internal (or 2 if enough straps) down the side of.each row and cross the back row, and they would not move as I don’t drive like a ■■■■ :bulb:

HOWEVER :unamused: …Vosa being Vosa :unamused: , they would want them strapped to within an inch of their life, as well as some of the purists on here, who are now going to agree with them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
thats the winner.
get your company to agree to pay any fine except speeding, and get on with it without the snowflake drama.

i agree with the pallet on the top row…then rope em, dont worry about straps. dont forget the cross on the last pallets.

truckyboy:
i agree with the pallet on the top row…then rope em, dont worry about straps. dont forget the cross on the last pallets.

Oh wait look at the trailer there ain’t any rope hooks.While just roping over the top of a three tier stack of anything and hoping it will hold the lot from top to bottom is a mugs game.When ideally it needs to be just two seperately roped/strapped rows while if not holding down two rows with one lot of ropes/straps over the top is obviously better than three.

kenuk1:
Thanks very much, the latest I have been informed by an experienced colleague, is that each row should be individually strapped, based on that it would be impossible given the type of trailer, unless some modifications were made to suspend from the top?

I can’t get my head round the legal side of things when I read the guidance, how would you interpret the below in this situation?

Transporting light palletised goods in curtained-sided vehicles
When deciding how to transport light palletised goods in curtain-sided vehicles, you should:

think carefully about the most appropriate securing method for the load
carry out a risk assessment that takes account of:
whether the load can be carried in a different body type
possible alternate securing methods that do not crush/damage the load
the risks of working at height when securing the load compared to the likely risks due to the load moving

You need to secure the load to reduce the risk of harm as far as is reasonably practicable.

Stacked light palletised goods

Stacked light palletised goods need to be secured in the same way as palletised goods over 400kg.

The best way is to use over-the-top lashings secured to the vehicle chassis or rave-to-rave.

This is probably the get out for you. So assuming this is a regular load, ask the company for a copy of their written risk assessment for this load detailing the method for securing it.
Companies love making up rules for their employees to follow so make them live by them as well.

kenuk1:
Hi all, having read through quite a few of the posts on here, I have to say its a great source of info so thanks to all of you for providing your experience and knowledge… I would really like to hear your comments with regards to the load securing of the attached.

The image shows a trailer full of empty, palletised 210l steel drums, they are banded 4 to a pallet with the approx weight of each loaded pallet being 90kg max and always stacked 3 high.

The image doesn’t show it, but as a rule, these pallets are jammed into to the trailers so they are loaded fully front to back with almost no gap between pallets.

As you can see, there are no straps or restraints, no sideboards and the curtains are not load bearing.

My questions which I am having some conflicting info fed back from the various legal sources;

Should the load be secured to the bed? (legally or in your opinion)
What would “your” best solution for load security, be it strapping, sideboards, nets given the weight stated etc?

Close curtains , set satnav/ google maps for destination , turn up radio , engage gear , relaese handbrake - enjoy the drive .