Notifying DVLA of a

Hi all,

So I’m in hospital with a collapsed lung. I just turned the wrong way and it happened. Seemingly very common in young tall skinny men. My question is, do I need to inform DVLA of this?

Crikey, get well soon Sam.

As far as I can tell, it’s not a notifiable illness, but the list is here.

gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

I’m tall and skinny and have always kept quiet about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sam Millar:
Hi all,

So I’m in hospital with a collapsed lung. I just turned the wrong way and it happened. Seemingly very common in young tall skinny men. My question is, do I need to inform DVLA of this?

Get well soon Sam , all the best from a fellow Ayrshire man , (did I wright Sam or 5am not sure) take care get on the mend ASAP regards Tom

Own Account Driver:
I’m tall and skinny and have always kept quiet about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Me too, young, tall and skinny. Plus, I hallucinate. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m currently recovering from a collapsed lung (and dislocated shoulder). The cause of mine was pretty clear though - being knocked off my motorbike! No need to notify DVLA. I used to be young, tall and skinny too :slight_smile:

Cardiac, eyesight or diabetes are things the DVLA would want to know about. Broken bones and lungs are not on their list.
Get fit soon Sam.
Cheers Dave.

Get well soon Sam, it happened to my brother many years ago who he was in his early 20’s, he’s over 6ft and was reasonably skinny at the time, although not as skinny as me :blush: a slight breeze would knock me over, need a force 10 gale these days :laughing:

He had to abandon his truck in a high street, and get into an ambulance. He was told exactly that same as you, about it being quite common for young, tall men.

Get well soon, no chance of me having that problem due to my love of kebabs :grimacing: :blush:

Get Well Soon Sam.

No Need to notify the DVLA of your lung condition. I had a collapsed lung after being catching my ribs on the side of a flat trailer whilst loading. It was 1988 and I hadn’t long passed my test. I was just 22 and tall and skinny.

It became a recurring pneumothorax ( re-occurring collapsing lung ) which resulted in a Plurectomy in 1992. For those who are squeamish, I won’t go into the finer details of the plurectomy operation. Those who wish to know, look it up.

Whilst I am in good health now, I know that my lung is not as and never will be as good as it was. I can still ride a bike and drag a heavy bag of golf clubs round a course and unload a few heavy pallets. I always need to put a jumper on sooner than everyone else, might be mid May before I go for t shirts all the time and the beginning of September, depending how warm the summer is for the jumper to go back on.

One more tip, wrap a towel round your trunk and pull it tight before you try and cough :wink:

do it bud cover your back side get well son :sunglasses:

naa i wouldnt, youve got 2 anyway the other one still works fine i assume :slight_smile:

tell em as little as possible, they dont need to know so you have no obligation to tell them

Hope its not too long until you are fit and well again Sam. And get stuck into the Crème Cakes and Mars Bars that should take care o the thin bit for you. Eddie.

Get well soon m8,ive just spent the last 4 out of 6 weeks in hospital its pants and i feel for you buddy,get well soon m8 :wink: :wink: :wink:

Ive just looked when you first posted,are you out yet sam :question: :question: :question: :question: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Cor blimey Guvnor, that’d be a bit of a surprise. You tellin me you just moved & your lung collapsed? Are other young tall men aware if this info? Seems like fore armed & all that. Best of luck with it anyway.

Sam all the best… 6yrs ago I bent down to feed my cat, and right lung collapsed… Spent a week in hospital, 4yrs ago I coughed and left lung collapsed :frowning: 2days later under the knife to basically get lung glued to chest wall… Basically everybody has a sticky substance between lungs and chest… And mine wasn’t sticky enough so opened me up scrubbed chest wall then applied a powder that turned into a glue substance … Left lung won’t collapse again …doc was wanting to do right lung and I declined… Due to pain I’m still in 4yrs later (nerve and muscle damage due to op)…

DLA only need to know about permanent ongoing issues not a temporary one which is fixable

If its a reportable offence, the hospital/doctor has to notify them anyway so dont worry, and get well soon.