Notice to leave

if you payed monthly do you have to give i months notice from your last pay date
ie 1/5/06 you will have to work till 1/6/06 is that correct

i believe that if u have worked for the company for under a year then its 2 weeks, but check your contract to see if they have ammended it mate.

i’m sure people will correct me if i am wrong mate.

read the terms of your contract

been at the sme job for 10 yrs dont know where my contract is

Then ask :laughing:

Basically no matter how you leave a company you are entitled to receive all your back pay and credit for any holiday you are due.
They’re not legally alowed to give you a bad refference however they can refuse to give you one.

In other words, while an employer might ask for ‘x’ days notice there isnt a lot they can do about it if you just walk out :laughing:

Just depends whether you A) Need a refference, B) might want to go back there at some point or C) like your boss.

dennisw1:
They’re not legally alowed to give you a bad refference

Untrue, it must be true and correct in it’s facts but doesn’t need to be ‘good’.

they ARE NOT allowed to give a bad reference BUT THEY CAN REFUSE TO GIVE YOU A REFERENCE.just as dennisw1 said!!!

RookieTrucker:
they ARE NOT allowed to give a bad reference BUT THEY CAN REFUSE TO GIVE YOU A REFERENCE.just as dennisw1 said!!!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3065319.stm

(Second to last paragraph is most relevant)

RookieTrucker:

You can give what amounts to a bad one, you cant give a bad one without being able to prove the facts. i.e. “He is constantly late for work” would be a dodgy one, but “He was late for work on 1/1/06. 1/2/06 and 1/3/06” would be quite acceptable.

However you would then be legally allowed to challenge it in court. on the grounds of slander if a verbal refference, libel if a written refference.

If you’re a union member they wouldn’t hesitate to sue your former employer for it. Simply because it’s almost impossible to defend it :wink:

you should not allude to an employee’s misconduct if you have never carried out an investigation into that misconduct and you do not therefore have reasonable grounds for believing in that misconduct.

So if you walk out, how would they show they have investigated it when you’re not there :laughing:

Basically what it boils down to is if an employer refuses a refference this would ring alarm bells with a potential employer, which goes back to what i said. “depends if you need a reference” :wink:

One of the guys at our place recently handed in his notice ( he didnt like the Ex-Hell way) and was told he has to give 13 weeks notice apparently its in the contract, he gave them a week and left i dont know if he got all his pay but i imagine he would have done.

If you want to leave somewhere and they say you need to give them more notice than you think you should firstly be nice about it get a reference off them then agree to the long period of notice they say you need to give them and if you have no intention of going back toss it off in a layby all day , sell diesel to the ■■■■■, get your m.p.g. at the lowest you can and ■■■■ off your bosses customers, you will probably find your weeks notice is good enough if you follow those lines after all its all give and take isnt it?.

Excluding Ex-Hell where its all TAKE.

:confused: What you might have to watch with giving notice is, if you don’t give the required amount you may find the money you’re expecting short, because of it.

You are required to give the company notice as per your terms of employment ,
YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO WORK IT :wink:

RookieTrucker:

As others have said they are perfectly entitled to give you a bad reference as long as everything contained in the reference can be proven by them to be factual.

For example, they can’t say “Fred Smith is a workshy employee and we don’t recommend you employ him” but they can say “Fred Smith was late for work on 26 days in the last 6 months” if they have clock card records or something similar to prove it.

Paul

However as said in the BBC report linked above, they would have to have shown details of an investigation. Any investigation into you at work has to be notified to you so that you can gain apropriate representation.

It’s VERY difficult for an employer to give a bad refference without leaving themselves open to being sued so most seldom bother and just refuse a refference.

What you might have to watch with giving notice is, if you don’t give the required amount you may find the money you’re expecting short, because of it.

Whilst and employer might try it, they’re legally obliged to pay you any money you’re owed.

Might be worth joining a union shortly before you leave, then you’ll have some more clout should you be done over.

dennisw1:
Basically no matter how you leave a company you are entitled to receive all your back pay and credit for any holiday you are due.
They’re not legally alowed to give you a bad refference however they can refuse to give you one.

In other words, while an employer might ask for ‘x’ days notice there isnt a lot they can do about it if you just walk out :laughing:

Just depends whether you A) Need a refference, B) might want to go back there at some point or C) like your boss.

They cant refuse to give you a reference

In all the jobs that I have had in nearly 30 years I haven’t once worked my notice. When I decide to leave I leave, no good working a notice and been given all the crap jobs :smiling_imp:

The usual notice period is as follows:-

during the first 2 years of continuous employment not less than 1 week’s notice;
during the 3rd to 12th years of continuous employment not less than 1 week’s notice for each year of continuous employment;
after 12 years of continuous employment not less than 12 weeks’ notice;

However you need to check this with your own contract as some may be different.

ralliesport:
They cant refuse to give you a reference

Of course they can!! Been there - done it!!

If what you were saying was correct, combined with the ‘can’t give a bad reference’ theory (which as has been said, is a ‘difficult’ situation), would mean that whenever you left one employer he has to give you a refernce and it has to be a good one??!! :open_mouth:

If that were to be the case, then it would render the whole exercise pointless and no prospective employer would take the slightest bit of notice of any references. The employer you would be leaving might as well have a batch of ready-photocopied glowing references that were given out as a freebie with your final pay-packet. It’s not happening.