Notice period

Are hauliers prepared to wait for a newly qualified driver to work a notice period (1 month) or will I need to take the plunge blind and hope something turns up so in not out of work!?!

I have a family to support and can’t afford to not earn.

Depends on the haulier really. TBH most will ask you at interview if you have notice to give. A month seems like a lot though. Maybe ask your current employer if they would accept a weeks notice. If you are newly passed I wouldnt quit and jump in blind though. There are jobs out there but given the choice of a new pass or an experienced guy then most will go with experience im afraid. Just keep your eyes open and play it by ear if something comes up you like

If you have been working for them more than 6 months you should give 1 month notice. Otherwise you can just leave whenever suits you. However, companies like “loyal” employees so a decent notice would be the right thing to do.

Depends on the pay structure, weekly paid is a weeks notice, monthly is a months nice, last place I was at I was there for almost 5 years and only had to give a weeks notice.

Top tip, always leave on good terms, never know when/if you have to go ask for a job there.

I wouldn’t have thought too many employers would wait a month for a driver with no experience, I don’t know what your usual job is but would it be possible for you to do some agency driving on your days off, that way you could get a bit of experience under your belt and make some extra money at the same time.

Thanks for the advice guys, I’m a chef at present while doing my cat c, and am monthly paid, only way I’ll be going back to the hotel is as a delivery Driver! Lol.

Will look at agency as a way of gaining experience, but not keen on the self employed bit and needing to pay an “accountant” £20-£30 a week just so I can get paid!

Was thinking about handing in my months notice once qualified and then looking around with 2 weeks left to work, there seems to be quite a few hauliers advertising in my area (hampshire) and then use the agency if nothing turns up for a few weeks.

damo84:
Will look at agency as a way of gaining experience, but not keen on the self employed bit and needing to pay an “accountant” £20-£30 a week just so I can get paid!

Try to find an agency that pays on a PAYE basis.

tachograph:

damo84:

Try to find an agency that pays on a PAYE basis.

Will do, thank you!

Not to be recommended, but what would happen if you simply walked out and didn’t work your notice period?

Obviously you wouldn’t be paid, but what else would they do? Give you a rubbish reference presumably, but if you tell your new employer that you did it for them they might ignore it. Your troubles might come if it doesn’t work out and you have to go elsewhere - if they seek previous employer references you will have some explaining to do.

As I say, not something to do lightly but it is an option if you’re desperate.

ORC:
Not to be recommended, but what would happen if you simply walked out and didn’t work your notice period?

Obviously you wouldn’t be paid, but what else would they do? Give you a rubbish reference presumably, but if you tell your new employer that you did it for them they might ignore it. Your troubles might come if it doesn’t work out and you have to go elsewhere - if they seek previous employer references you will have some explaining to do.

As I say, not something to do lightly but it is an option if you’re desperate.

Legally, probably not a lot they could do. Morally I don’t think I could do it.

damo84:
Legally, probably not a lot they could do. Morally I don’t think I could do it.

Pleased to hear it, nice to see that there are still some with honour and integrity out there. Good for you… :wink:

Was thinking about handing in my months notice once qualified and then looking around with 2 weeks left to work, there seems to be quite a few hauliers advertising in my area (hampshire) and then use the agency if nothing turns up for a few weeks.

To me, this sounds like a solution. But make sure you can feed your family and pay the bills for a short while. Agency work should be picking up again in the next couple of months following the new year lull.

You could, of course, approach employers and explain your situation now. But I wouldn’t anticipate a firm job offer. You may, though, get a “feel” for where to go when you’ve got your licence and you’re ready to roll.

It’s a tricky one and I wish you all the best with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Whenever I have changed jobs (which I’ve done quite a few times), I always tell the new employer that I have to work notice - if they jib about it I point out that they wouldn’t like it if I dropped them in the klartz in the future. It’s just common courtesy to give them a chance to replace you…

Thanks Peter, that’s what I’m swaying towards at the moment,

And sarge, that’s a fair point, but my concern, as others have stated, as a new driver I would offer nothing unique to make them want to wait a month for me as I would be a newbie with no experience.

Oh the dilemma!

Should probably worry about passing first, then worrying about jobs after.

Thanks all again for the advice!

damo84:
Should probably worry about passing first, then worrying about jobs after.

That would probably be the best idea!