NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION

Ive received a letter from Lothian and Borders Police saying i was doing 53 on the A1. It doesnt say what i will get. the letter worries me it says i can get upto 12 points, over six points and i am out of a job. Anyone had one of these and got an idea of what happens?

yurt:
Ive received a letter from Lothian and Borders Police saying i was doing 53 on the A1. It doesnt say what i will get. the letter worries me it says i can get upto 12 points, over six points and i am out of a job. Anyone had one of these and got an idea of what happens?

SP10, 3 points and £60 fine. And yes, I’ve been caught there as well if it’s the one at Penmansheil.

Same as rob says and I’ve also been caught there aswell

Here is the [zb] responsible : Street view clicky.

It is a 40mph road speed cameras are well marked sorry to say

But as Rob says 3 points & £60 fine wouldnt contest it as they will just make you go to court several times & you cant claim any expenses from the Scottish police sorry to say & they could increase it

Rob K:

Another one of those daft main SC A roads where the laws do not match what is a safe speed for LGVs

same here. got done on same streach last year.
if there is nothing stating what you could get in point or fine, it is a letter basically asking you to say it was you that was driving and they will return a letter to you offering you a speed awareness course.

animal:

But as Rob says 3 points & £60 fine wouldnt contest it as they will just make you go to court several times & you cant claim any expenses from the Scottish police sorry to say & they could increase it

Well marked, yes, if you can see the frikkin thing. It’s situated directly behind the road sign - you can’t see it until you’re alongside it, and the markings on the road are hard to see if the road is wet.

Rob K:
the markings on the road are hard to see if the road is wet.

I figured that as well - the link shows them in good conditions

ROG:

Rob K:

Another one of those daft main SC A roads where the laws do not match what is a safe speed for LGVs

hiya,
Been out of the job for a long time and drive as little as possible, but obviously try to keep up to date with the laws and rules and regulations and am pretty certain that some time ago it was stated that speed cameras would be made more visible and painted a
bright yellow colour, looking at the street view here that camera doesn’t conform to those guidelines or didn’t those fair play rules apply to Scotland ?, or was it just an idea that never came to fruition ?.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

ROG:

Rob K:

hiya,
Been out of the job for a long time and drive as little as possible, but obviously try to keep up to date with the laws and rules and regulations and am pretty certain that some time ago it was stated that speed cameras would be made more visible and painted a
bright yellow colour, looking at the street view here that camera doesn’t conform to those guidelines or didn’t those fair play rules apply to Scotland ?, or was it just an idea that never came to fruition ?.
thanks harry, long retired.

GATSOs are hidden behind signs like this throughout much of the Scotland, the A9 in particular.

well at least its not 12 points and looking for a job. i was getting a bit concerned.

In Scotland they are painted yellow & red

lizard:
if there is nothing stating what you could get in point or fine, it is a letter basically asking you to say it was you that was driving and they will return a letter to you offering you a speed awareness course.

Not in Scotland they dont run them

animal:
In Scotland they are painted yellow & red

lizard:

Not in Scotland they dont run them

they do. I was on 1 in January 2011 cost me £90 for 4 hours.

I think youll only get offered the speed awareness course if youre a certain percentage over the speed limit, i got done by the same camera doing 55 and was never offered the chance to do a course, that was August last year :wink:

A NIP is just advising that they intend to take action against the driver of the vehicle at the specified time. It is addressed to the registered keeper and is for them to confirm who was driving at the time. The next stage will be the prosecution letter addressed to the driver who was notified as driver at the time of the fence. This second letter will give the various options available such as speed awareness course, pay fine or appeal. It will also state what if any penatly points are applicable for each option along with a threat that any issue which goes to court will attract more points than if it is dealt with through the post.

I’m not sure of all the limits for eligibility for speed awareness but IIRC for speeding in a 30MPH limit in buckinghamshire it was for speeds between 35-39MPH.

Cheers
Neilf

Rob K:

animal:

Well marked, yes, if you can see the frikkin thing. It’s situated directly behind the road sign - you can’t see it until you’re alongside it, and the markings on the road are hard to see if the road is wet.

Surely as a proffesional driver you should be looking araound you and able to see a very well marked safety camera and the piont about the road markings being hard to see when the road is wet! shouldnt you be even more observent as a proffesional driver in wet weather??

Maybe the reason they put a safety camera there in the first place and made it visable is due to accidents previously and wanting to reduce them at that spot■■?

Madguy :smiling_imp:

madguy:
Surely as a proffesional driver you should be looking araound you and able to see a very well marked safety camera and the piont about the road markings being hard to see when the road is wet! shouldnt you be even more observent as a proffesional driver in wet weather??

I would have said that as a professional driver there would be no need to look for them as the speed law should be adhered to but for those that choose not to adhere to it then surely they must accept the consequences without question as it was their decision and must therefore take responsibility for that - yes?

ROG:

madguy:
Surely as a proffesional driver you should be looking around you and able to see a very well marked safety camera and the piont about the road markings being hard to see when the road is wet! shouldnt you be even more observent as a proffesional driver in wet weather??

I would have said that as a professional driver there would be no need to look for them as the speed law should be adhered to but for those that choose not to adhere to it then surely they must accept the consequences without question as it was their decision and must therefore take responsibility for that - yes?

I didnt say you should be looking for them, i said (see above) this means taking in the environment around you, looking out for hazards and potential hazards including speed limits etc as well as bright yellow boxes stuck on sticks.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

yurt:

You must have been doing close to 60 mph to get a NIP at 53! :laughing: A 40 limit! Oh dear! :unamused:
No speed awareness course unless you were in a car! :wink: