Not too late?

If you have grandfather rights you can drive 7.5t, without having to pass a test (as long as you have your CPC).

To drive any LGV from C1 to CE commercially you need a DQC (driver cpc card)

If got C1 on licence already by having passed car test before 1997 and then going for C you have 2 choices -
Do the mod 2 cpc theory and then the mod 4 cpc practical pass/fail tests
OR
Do the 35 hours of attendance ( no tests) training - this is usually done in blocks of 7 hours

Most choose the 35 hours especially as you can do that now with C1 on licence before going for C

The DQC covers all LGV categories from C1 to CE so you do not need to do it again when upgrading an LGV

Do you need to know anything else :question:

Thanks for the helpful replies.

ROG, I’ll be going through PSTT for training, maybe it’s best I seek there advice on which of the 2 choices are suitable for me (currently, I’m not working, so have time available)

dead.duck I am a little older than you both my kids are grown up so don’t have to worry to much on that front I go tramping & never had a problem with employers although some in my area don’t like women driver for some reason but avoid them & drive for others plenty out there

BTW I am also a single mother was driving when kids were young although mainly just days but as they got older thing changed for me

So go for it a lot more women in this industry now than when I started

Yep I am a female who is 147 cm & 115lbs so if I can do it you will be able to

animal - Thanks for your words of encouragement! I’m not a single mother though, I have a husband and if go to work he will either at at home or go part time. We are also thinking about moving somewhere more civilised as living in a remote island is a bit daunting… A lot is gonna change for our family:)

dead.duck:
animal - Thanks for your words of encouragement! I’m not a single mother though, I have a husband and if go to work he will either at at home or go part time. We are also thinking about moving somewhere more civilised as living in a remote island is a bit daunting… A lot is gonna change for our family:)

Yep my ex moved to Fort William so know what you mean then after 10 years he moved to South Corolina

Easier for you as someone at home although my son had a good mate who mother would pick up from school if needed or sometimes my parents although they both worked depends on the shift now they are both up so don’t have to worry

don’t move to far south as roads are too busy

I want to stay still in Scotland if possible. I’m furthest north in the UK you can imagine;)

andyf3110:
I passed my Cat C Jun 2017 and C+E in October 2017 at the age of 47. I then went job hunting in early 2018 by which time i had turned 48 and not driven a HGV since my test.

First company I visited gave me the start. I am from the Birmingham area which may have helped, as there seems to be plenty of work around here, as from what I have read on this forum certain area are easier to get the start than others.

Good luck

I bet you were thrilled. Do you mind me asking, did you have any kind of driver / delivery experience before hand? Which trade did you come from?

A little update.

My cat. C training in almost 2 weeks with PSTT. :smiley:
Can’t wait but I’m also a bit nervous…

Anyway I may get a chance to relocate from north of Scotland to Kent, close to Dover and Folkestone. How about jobs there?
I’m planning to do CE as soon as my financial situation allows that. Then move to Kent after school year finish.
Is it easier for jobs down there?