Not too late?

Go for it ,I was 47 .But it is not the best line of work these days, believe me i have tried many firms ,Low pay ,long hours and totally hated by the general public,Harassed from collection to delivery by jumped up pointy shoe spotty little nerds .Then the Tacho Rules and Hours ,Cpc,Costs and fines to contend with .
Keep looking elsewhere imo. :laughing:

The more I read, the more hesitant I am…
I always get lost in a new city, take a wrong junction on a motoroway, miss an exit… It’s happening in the car. And now trying to imagine myself doing that in a truck :cry: Provided I pass the test after several attempts…

Just a thought - have you considered driving buses?
Some companies will pay for your training, which you won’t find with trucks.
Personally I couldn’t deal with passengers cos I’m a grumpy old sod, but everyone’s different.

Thought about buses earlier but Im not keen on that. That would work prob where I live as it’s very rural, no traffic, though plenty of single track roads and not many passengers on the buses or mini buses as it’s often a couple of people travelling somewhere . But I’m going to move to a more civilised area and then that would be a proper bus driving with more than a few passengers who knows you anyway

dead.duck:
The more I read, the more hesitant I am…
I always get lost in a new city, take a wrong junction on a motoroway, miss an exit… It’s happening in the car. And now trying to imagine myself doing that in a truck :cry: Provided I pass the test after several attempts…

Don’t worry about it, you think those of us been doing it all our lives don’t still do these things and worse regularly.

Only last month i managed to go the wrong way onto the the Stockport link instead of taking the next exit for M60, my excuse is i haven’t been up that way for yonks and it was dark and busy and honestly i used to know the area like the back of me hand twenty years ago when i was in and out of Man Apt and district every week or so, so how the hell did i do that :unamused:
The answer is not to panic, just think for a minute or so, there’ll be another suitable junction within 5 mins or so, and there was, so spun round at the roundabout and went back the right way.
It won’t be the last time i make a mistake without a doubt :sunglasses:

Ok, so now thinking where to go for training. Peter Smythes’ school seems a very good option but it’s quite far from me…
My local driving centre has a manual 06 plate truck. A bit more expensive and offering 12hrs over 3 days, not 16 hrs so actually much more expensive. And they don’t do pass protection. The only good thing about it would be that I wouldn’t drive in a traffic…

Any decent training provider should offer a free assessment drive, (Peter did in my case).
That would let you get a feel for what it’s all about and how you would get on with the instructor.
Mine was definitely worthwhile, let me understand what you needed to master to pass the test, gave me confidence I had found the right company and that I could actually do it.

Never been in a lorry and never tried that dreaded gearbox. That’s why my concern is: if I do training in auto, pass the test, and then I will be given a manual truck…
Passing B manual was so obvious and not difficult, but now when I drive auto EV, I just became lazy…

This is a concern many folks seem to have. But it makes little sense. Some of us drivers of mature years learnt on a straight gearbox and, over the years, were presented with all manner of other gearboxs. No instruction was offered and we simply got on with it.

There are those who will seek out a trainer using a manual. Which is great, except that you’ll only know how to use that particular type of gearbox and that wont be a lot of help when presented with something completely different. Also, bear in mind that such training vehicles tend to be quite elderly. So you’re in a position where you choose to learn on a truck that’s probably been to the moon and back simply for the privilege of making life harder to pass the test.

Also, bear in mind that the huge majority of trucks under 10 years old are auto. Yes, there are manuals about. But, up to 18 tonnes, any manual is likely to be a 6 speed (conventional) box.

So, all in all, my advice is not to worry about that. In addition, you have the advantage of utube which has demos of every conceivable gearbox.

Unless we’re suggesting that the modern driver is mentally incapable, I honestly see no problem in passing on auto.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sent D2 and D4 mid January. Enclosed a cheque for £17 and today received a cheque from DVLA for £43.
Still waiting for my provisional C but why have they sent me the cheque?

:open_mouth:

Still a mystery why I received a cheque from dvla.
Anyway at least I know what went wrong in the paperwork stage. Sent all the documents back with the correct fee on a cheque.
Thinking about booking with PSTT but although I enjoy driving I’m concerned I may not to make it there within one day… And instead of 5 days away I’d be 8-9…
Found a training centre within a reasonable
distance, good pass rate, people travel there so not just locals… A bit old truck as 08 reg but auto.
Anyway if someone has 100-200 miles to travel it seems like a walking distance comparing with 650.

OK, finally booked with PSTT.
Can’t wait till October to start. I opted for 20hrs so it’s gonna be a lot of training! :smiley:

Good luck, so I hear your in safe hands.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

dead.duck:
OK, finally booked with PSTT.
Can’t wait till October to start. I opted for 20hrs so it’s gonna be a lot of training! :smiley:

Good luck with your training. I think you’ll love it. Peters place is very laid back and friendly but also very professional. A great place to learn.

Just going back to your original post regarding age etc. I’m 48, an ex sailor and passed my C+E beginning of this month. I passed in an auto W&D and start my first job (Tanker) Monday morning in a manual. Am I nervous? You bet I am, but I’ll get the hang of it, albeit probably with a bit of crunching and missed gears :open_mouth: plus I’ll have an experienced driver with me for the first few weeks.

Some advice from my experience so far. When you have passed your test get your cv, work and life achievement certificates and any other notable qualifications nicely organised in a folder along with hi vis and boots and plenty of enthusiasm and go knocking on doors. I found this old school way of approaching potential employers much more successful than sending an email that will probably get ignored. Then fingers crossed you’ll gain employment with a good employer not greedy agency.

I think the transport industry is trying to attract more women, and your age isn’t a negative, so I don’t think you will have many problems, unless you’re unlucky e.g. apply for a job at a small company who’s boss is a dinosaur with old views, if that happens move on to the next, plenty more jobs out there.

Justream - my biggest achievement is bringing up five kids so I suppose that’s not something employers are looking for :smiley: I
I live in a very remote place with not that many HGV jobs, no agencies. Great for driving experience though as no traffic, low bridges, even tacho rules don’t apply as it’s an island :smiley:

dead.duck:
Justream - my biggest achievement is bringing up five kids so I suppose that’s not something employers are looking for :smiley: I
I live in a very remote place with not that many HGV jobs, no agencies. Great for driving experience though as no traffic, low bridges, even tacho rules don’t apply as it’s an island :smiley:

Your biggest achievement of bringing up 5 children is much much more than any certificate I’ve got! It means your organised, can deal with conflict, can manage lots of different schedules, your a teacher, a mentor, a nurse…I think the list could go on & on.

I don’t have children and I’m not sure I’d be able to manage 5 of them or 6 if you include your husband :open_mouth: so already your ahead in the life experience stakes.

Also, it sounds like your willing to relocate so spread your net out. I would say decide where you’d like to live then look up all the transport companies and start contacting them. With the right attitude anything is possible.

Hi all,

I’m in the process of registering with PSTT for my class 2

Nooseladder:
I have what is called ‘grandfather rights’ which automatically gives me C1. That’s where you have passed your car test before January 1997

I passed my car test 1981, can I ask what ‘grandfather rights’ are, and will having these rights benefit obtaining my class 2

What’s the difference having ‘grandfather rights’ and not having ‘grandfather rights’

Career Builder:
Hi all,

I’m in the process of registering with PSTT for my class 2

Nooseladder:
I have what is called ‘grandfather rights’ which automatically gives me C1. That’s where you have passed your car test before January 1997

I passed my car test 1981, can I ask what ‘grandfather rights’ are, and will having these rights benefit obtaining my class 2

What’s the difference having ‘grandfather rights’ and not having ‘grandfather rights’

I think grandfather rights means you have c1 on your licence and can choose either 35 hrs periodic cpc training or do the cpc 2 case studies and cpc4 practical.

I have grandfather rights and I chose to go the exam route for my cpc. Be aware there can be a bit of a wait booking cpc2 case studies and you have to ring to get it booked as it doesn’t show on the gov website unlike those without grandfather rights. And once you’ve chosen the exam route you can’t change your mind and do periodic. It’s very very easy so no worries. I’d say go the exam route unless you plan on doing an ADR or other course which I think includes x amount of hours periodic training.

I’m sure someone more knowledgable than me will soon be along to advise.

Thanks Justream, hopefully, someone with a little more knowledge will contribute