Not sure what to do? :/

I’m currently employed by an agency to work for Jewson’s getting guaranteed 45 hours a week if I drive or not. It’s a cushy job and I do love HIAB work and if I do say so myself, also very good at it! Managers are always happy to see me when I arrive to do the job and I do it without any fuss or problems how ever that’s only class 2 and I’ve just started to use my class 1. I’ve been out tramping 4 nights a week in a draw bar and just finished my 2nd unit and trailer job (royal mail) yesterday and I know they can earn an absolute fortune.

I’d like to drive more class 1 and gain more experience but the money down Brighton area is shocking. I can earn the same almost working in McDonalds!
I’m getting 45 hours each week driving class 2 or shall I try find a class 1 job and earn the same or less money? (My agency pays a good wage believe it or not!!)

My thoughts would be to sit tight where you are until the spring, if you jump now you’ll join all other agency lads who struggle like buggery in Jan and Feb to get a weeks work, your face fits where you are now and good luck to you.

RM full timers might be on a good screw but can you get on full time, oh and take some of these earnings boasts with a pinch of salt.

Decide again when the weather breaks would be my advice…but nothing wrong with taking the odd Class 1 shift at the weekend if you have the hours in the meantime.

Probably the best thing to do really. Just hold out till something decent comes along. Out of 5 pages on the job centre website they were all agencies except for 3 jobs. 1 class 1.

As said, you can earn good money on agency for RM (and others) in December, but then again you’ll need to as there won’t be much in the way of work available come January.

If you want something full-time on class 1 and will be tramping then if I was you I’d be looking a little further afield, as you’d only have one trip to and from work per week. Anything around the M25 radius should pay more than Brighton.

I know Saturday didn’t quite go as planned but did it give you an idea of what you want? You need to have a chat with the agency and explain things to them. It does seem like they are trying to build up your C1 experience when your hours have allowed it. Maybe they are trying to get you C1 references so they can put you in other clients. Remember RM are busy now but will die down in January.
Maybe another thread to thank the Stobarts driver too :smiley:

At least I know now that class 1 isn’t a problem or reversing… :smiley: lol thanks Dtobbie driver. Had a missed call them from today as I forgot to send my time sheet in so will have a word with Debs then.

There might have been a different agency talking about supplying drivers recently if you understood my FB message :wink:

You’d have to be nuts leaving a cushy guaranteed 45 per week to go on a promise with RM. Full time contracts only my friend, if they will give you a contract full time in RM then furry ■■■■. Chasing the shilling has been many a man’s down fall.

Jewsons aren’t going anywhere.

hiya …whats on with the big tackle.id been driving class one from 1970 until
1982. i was desperate for a job and landed one on a 4 wheeler van.(8 year old bedford KM) the best paying job around in the 70’s and 80s.after 7years this company had 4 artics,
they asked me if id drive a artic and give up my 3 month old 1900 DAF…What a mistake
the money went down the pan, we was doing all the rubbish work that other companys
did’nt want to do , one word for it NIGHTMARE.Stay small until you are pushed.
the roads are to small and to many cars now a days.the big lorry image dosen’t work any more.
good luck
John