"Not My Job, Mate.."

I’ve been doing nights on chilled-multi drop for the last few days, and talking to the drivers’ mates I’ve had with me, I’m amazed to hear how many drivers (agency) that wont help unload. I was told last night how one driver thought using the tail lift was too much work and sat in his cab doing sod all while the mate did all the leg work. This was the worst example, others being driver not carrying into shop etc. It may be the mates’ job but who is so lazy to sit on their arse watching someone struggle, when two can halve the time taken? There’s one route in London where they operate a “no agency drivers” rule because they can’t be trusted to help out. After all the years on tippers, I enjoy the change and find it interesting to see the shopping centres etc from the service tunnels…and getting used to dock levellers etc :blush: :laughing:

If i was the helper i would play the same game when he asks me is there the road clear to the left there,or if he asks to get out and help him back into somewhere.Just down to akward laziness,should be glad they have a helper.

DO THE WORDS HUCK OFF MEAN ANY THING TO THESE GUYS WHO WONT HELP UNLOAD !!! there is no way I would have any one do that to me without him getting a face full of tarmac , end of

Send them back to the dole queue or kick them out of the truck so they walk home.

Currently an agency driver, i always help unload as required. However, there are a lot of companies that I go to who wont let you use a tail lift etc if you have not been trained. ASDA being one of them !

Trained to use a tail lift , by little lad has been helping me use the tailift since he was about 4 years old !!! this world gone bloody crazy .

toby1234abc:
Send them back to the dole queue or kick them out of the truck so they walk home.

think you may find that if the drivers mate kicks the driver out they will both be walking home Toby :smiley: don’t see what the problem is really, mate sleeps while driver drives and vice versa :smiley:

The work ethic in some people is shameful. You only need one driver to be like that, Then every driver is a ■■■■■■.
I can’t stand by and watch someone do all the graft. But there are occasions at some places where it isn’t the drivers job, But they’ll happily stand by and watch you do it all.
It dosn’t cost anything to be decent to one another.

Swings and rounerbouts really as said above but a friend of mine has a drivers mate and he sleeps for hours on end allday , however if the drop time can be halfed then I’m out my cab moving things along … :smiley:

Maybe this would explain why there agency drivers and not permeant staff.

There is a couple of drivers at my place with this attitude. I ALWAYS get out and give the mate a lift, i would feel awful just sat in the cab.

At our place though it appears to be the other way the drivers mates can be lazy and the drivers sticks for all the work, which has happened to me a couple of times. The lad im with at the moment its like im baby sitting him in honesty, really boils my ■■■■ at times! Spoke to him about it but its just in one ear and out the other… :unamused:

Anyway i digress!

I’m usually glad of a bit of exercise

We have mates at our place, and at times they are far from it, laziest urchins I have ever met, Wont ring customer, wont open gates, wont be banksmen,
Much better 2 drivers going out as you both respect the job and what it throws at you.

What does the mate do when the driver is driving, apart from occasionally look out of the window? Sits on his arse I think you’ll find! :smiley:

Muckaway,I was a tipper driver,sadly the work dried up otherwise I would still be doing it.
I’m on for 3663 and have been for a whole now and like you enjoy the challenge…and trust me somedays it is a challenge haha!
I like you had never used a dock leveller or a tail lift before.
I would go back to tipping one day but would want the work to be a lot more stable,can’t see that happening for a while so I will stick yo my multidrop mayhem plus I earn more money too which is always a bonus!
Who you working for out of interest?

B1 GGK:
We have mates at our place, and at times they are far from it, laziest urchins I have ever met, Wont ring customer, wont open gates, wont be banksmen,
Much better 2 drivers going out as you both respect the job and what it throws at you.

+1 ^^^^^

Essexboy:
Muckaway,I was a tipper driver,sadly the work dried up otherwise I would still be doing it.
I’m on for 3663 and have been for a whole now and like you enjoy the challenge…and trust me somedays it is a challenge haha!
I like you had never used a dock leveller or a tail lift before.
I would go back to tipping one day but would want the work to be a lot more stable,can’t see that happening for a while so I will stick yo my multidrop mayhem plus I earn more money too which is always a bonus!
Who you working for out of interest?

Driver Hire Oxford, working for Fresh Direct.

I was in a garage one night on the way to work and whilst topping the car up, watched some of my colleagues from another depot delivering to one of those sandwich shops that sell those long, filled rolls etc and noticed the mate sat in the cab whilst the driver was doing all the donkey work. Finished at the pump and walked over and asked the driver what his mate was doing, as he was still in the cab…‘doing the defect book, he ain’t got out the cab once all day, thats why i’m late’ he replied. I went back to the car, put my logo’d hi-viz coat on and walked back to the truck…opened passenger door, asked him why he wasn’t helping and that ‘I’ didn’t pay him to sit on his jacksy all day and that I would be calling his agency to stop his pay!! Needless to say, his English wasn’t up to scratch but he did get out and muck in. If I was given an agency ‘mate’ I wouldn’t bother taking them as they tend to be a nuisance…by the time you’ve told them where the stuff goes, and as Essexboy can vouch for this, chilled goes here, frozen goes there and dry goes somewhere else, it’s quicker to do it yourself…even stacking the sack barrow is an art!! If we had regular one’s come in, they could slowly be trained on how to sort the gear out (they ain’t the prettiest of loads!!) and you could save 2-3 hours per day. Some were willing to learn and you could have a good laugh and others weren’t worth the effort

B1 GGK:

Couldnt agree more

Muckaway:
I was told last night how one driver thought using the tail lift was too much work and sat in his cab doing sod all while the mate did all the leg work. This was the worst example, others being driver not carrying into shop etc. It may be the mates’ job but who is so lazy to sit on their arse watching someone struggle, when two can halve the time taken?

The other side of the argument is the drivers mate sits on his arse watching the world go by or having a sleep for most of the shift whilst the driver is doing the work. If you do a 12hr shift with an hours worth of tipping, the drivers mate does an hours worth of work whilst the driver does 9 or 10hrs.

once did a 2 week stint on nights for an agency back in the 90’s running from lowestoft fish docks to a fish market in london.
on the 1st night I got to the wagon which was pre-loaded so I jumped in motor with young lad that was going down to do all the donkey work and when I got to london I jumped out to give a helping hand with the load and I was told to go back and sit in the cab as he didnt need my help.
when I asked him why he just said the normal driver told him that he drives and you carry. I didnt think that was fare so I said I’ll get in the back and you tell me what and when and we had a great time and we were home every night 2 hours earlier than he was used to.