Not in my back yard wins again

Lorry Park refused in Kent surprise surprise.

kentlive.news/news/kent-new … op-6913262

“harmfully erode the rural character and appearance of the area.” - at the side of the M26 :unamused:

fingermissing:

kent council once again, a Pattern is emerging with this bunch. carry on chaps and you will be frothing at the mouth when
truckers refuse to deliver to your anti truck county…
i wish :smiley:

I suggest what Kent Brexiteers would like to see is:-

(1) A morotorium on foreign trucks coming into kent at all.
(2) £50ph+ work paid to Brit Drivers carting stuff around the country, fetching stuff from ports, and a massive increase in the freight forwarding industry to get that done.
(3) All trans-channel trucking - to consist of shipping containers dropped at overseas port by foreign trucker, carted across channel on freight-only vessel, taken off by crane and put onto awaiting container freight-forwarder, such as “Sealine” or “Maritime”… Then taken either to a nearby depot to be unloaded, or carted to the other end of the country “as is” by the same vehicle that picks up the container from the UK port-of-entry…

Maybe the day will come when Euro truckers coming here will just say “F… this for 400 Euros per month wages!” (In Moldovan, or whatever…)
They are, after all - spending most of their working and driving time within the UK, but for sub-uk Minimum wages just as much as any Oriental working on P&O for less than three quid per hour…
There’s no point in waiting for this tidal wave of Ukrainian truckers to become “Refugees” and come here, to take up the slack in the abundance of £10-£12 per hour UK trucking jobs avilable now, as ASOV are not letting anyone leave the country “of military age” already…
That kind of inverts what happened with the “Syrian” refugees, where the vast majority of them were exactly that, military age males, with barely a token appearence of “Children” or “women of child-bearing age” come to that… No WONDER the government are now turning down 90% of “Ukrainians” at our borders…
“Sorry bud, we need people to work our farms, drive our trucks cheaper, and not claim our benefits - you lot in your 4x4 are clearly not here for that…”

If the Government are attempting to crack down on P&O paying sub-minimum wages, then how come they’ve not tried to enforce it on foreign hauliers actually sending their drivers to work driving around our country’s roads for days at a time, wearing our roads out, not paying our taxes, and still with their super-sized derv tanks, hardly paying any fuel duty here neither?

I won’t believe a serious economic downturn is coming, and the shortages to go with it - until the traffic has disappeared over 50% from our roads…

At present, and “shortages” are local, and purely supply-line related, rather than any actual shortage of goods themselves.
Our roads are now worse than before Brexit, and need to be sorted out by actual changes in legislation with regards to who we let in, and who we don’t.
We cannot continue as a country importing both all the goods we need alongside all the foreigners we want to “help”… It is bad enough trying to fit the proverbial square peg into a round hole, but for some time now - we’re trying to put TWO oblongs into a crack - the wrong way sideways at that. :unamused: :unamused:

Beware Dover this weekend. "In an open letter, Cllr Trevor Bartlett said that while Dover port would be under severe pressure this Easter weekend, the council would ‘not tolerate another weekend of gridlock’.

He said action would include taking effective action to keep key junctions and roundabouts clear, and penalising HGV drivers using Dover town centre as a rat run." localgov.co.uk/Council-will … ists/54013

Where’s…

whisperingsmith and his ‘Queues At Dover & Calais’ thread when you need him?

“the council would ‘not tolerate another weekend of gridlock’.”

How’s that gonna work then? :smiley: :smiley:

10 miles of parked trucks on M20 apparently

Nimbys in Cirencester win again as well: wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/new … -rejected/

Comments last year when the idea first got announced: wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/new … rencester/

stevegm3:

Best hold an election, and get voted out then - or resign meanwhile. :smiley:

It is trucks returning to the continent, many of them empty, and nearly all of them being paid below minimum wages…
How come we’re not telling their employing haulage firms “not to come back” like the government were quick enough to tell P&O - that have in turn - supposed to have CAUSED this backlog in the first place■■?

mrginge:
Nimbys in Cirencester win again as well: wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/new … -rejected/

Comments last year when the idea first got announced: wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/new … rencester/

Hmm, all those lakes south of the town adding to the varied nature and leisure facilities didn’t appear by chance, rather needed lots of 8 leggers hauling gravel away.

I don’t know if Greasy Joes went by choice due to reduced income or if the council forced the issue.

Winseer:

stevegm3:

It is trucks returning to the continent, many of them empty, and nearly all of them being paid below minimum wages…
How come we’re not telling their employing haulage firms “not to come back” like the government were quick enough to tell P&O - that have in turn - supposed to have CAUSED this backlog in the first place■■?

Most of the EU works on parity pay for posted workers now - that being that a driver from a cheaper labour market must be paid at least the minimum wage of the country they’re posted to.

The idea there was to reduce the undercutting of domestic haulage industry by using firms from lower pay economies. A level of protectionism if you like.

I remember i used to have to carry forms for Germany and France towards the end of when I was shipping out to attest I was earning at least the minimum wage of those countries, with payslips if required too!

Obviously we’re not in the EU now so are not part of that so you need to ask government why they’ve not adopted a similar measure…

toonsy:

Winseer:

stevegm3:

Most of the EU works on parity pay for posted workers now - that being that a driver from a cheaper labour market must be paid at least the minimum wage of the country they’re posted to.

The idea there was to reduce the undercutting of domestic haulage industry by using firms from lower pay economies. A level of protectionism if you like.

I remember i used to have to carry forms for Germany and France towards the end of when I was shipping out to attest I was earning at least the minimum wage of those countries, with payslips if required too!

Obviously we’re not in the EU now so are not part of that so you need to ask government why they’ve not adopted a similar measure…

Being a sad so and so i just looked up the minimum wage for france (£6.88 dividing the yearly wage by 52 and the 37.5 hours) and genrmany (£8.20 although due to rise to 10.02 in oct)so a difference of £1.32 per hour. good if your french and going into germany. however what happends if its the otherway round.

I can see the dodgy companys using that to thier advantage. there are already companys that bus in drivers from other countries i dont belive for a second that they do that out the goodness of thier hearts.

toonsy:

Winseer:

stevegm3:

There is a reason a lot of trucks have RO plates. Cheap wage costs being one of them.
Sure they get paid more than they would just staying in Romanina but still they very rarely get paid the same as german truckers or french truckers unless they actually base themselves in that country.

fingermissing:

The government should get a grip and force councils to provide facilities for trucks, like they do for travellers.

Talking about travellers, how is it they can pitch up anywhere but truck drivers can’t?

> yourhavingalarf:
> Where’s… whisperingsmith and his ‘Queues At Dover & Calais’ thread when you need him?

If you insist - this is the queue in Calais Sunday 10th April :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: