Not for Hire or Reward

Anyone know the implications of driving under the banner of the above.

For example, say a mate has a motorhome/horsebox, you offer to do him a favour by driving it for a day at a weekend, as he hasn’t a licence. No money is involved.

Does it count towards your driving hours/working time?

Do you have to use a tacho at 7.5t or over 7.5t?

I appreciate people probably have differing opinions on the matter, if anyone has links to appropriate legislation documents etc that would also be appreciated.

you will deffo need a tacho and will need to include the hours in yr weekly driving time,exemptions from tacho are very rare following the WTA last april,i was exempt driving a racing pigeon lorry but not anymore…hth

TRANSPORTOFFICE.GOV.UK

Bernie

link shortened…Denis F

Trying to remember what has been posted on here before…
I THINK it goes something like - you can if under 7.5 tonnes but you have to comply with EU regs if over that - not 100% sure though :unamused:

geebee45:
One of the changes that came in on 11th April 2006 was the reclassification of ‘private use.’

Basically, private use now only applies to non commercial carriage (please note this is not the same as ‘hire and reward’) for vehicles where the maximum permitted mass (including trailer) is 7.5 tonnes or less. If it’s greater, then the driving to ‘Truckfest’ will be counted with all the other driving that week / fortnight, you cannot count the journey there or back as ‘weekly rest.’ Although nothing to stop you having your weekly rest at the show.

The only exemption to this is a vehicle that is more than 25 years old, so expect to see loads of ERF’s from a Yorkshire supermarket there…oops, did I really write that :blush: :blush:

i certainly would,nt count the driving of a privatly owned horse box or motorhome .
same as if i owned a truck like chris eubanks. he may well need a hgv licence to drive it but you would,nt need a tacho

ROG:
Trying to remember what has been posted on here before…
I THINK it goes something like - you can if under 7.5 tonnes but you have to comply with EU regs if over that - not 100% sure though :unamused:

that’s right Rog :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks folks, I had read the rules when they changed them in April 2007, but never paid much attention to “exemptions” as it never really applied to anything I was doing at that time.

I do remember there being more flexibility than there is now, and it does seem that above 7.5t regardless of use, you are obliged to follow the EU drivers hours rules whether for hire/reward or non commercial carriage (unless you work for a circus, funfair or mobile library on a Tuesday and your left pocket is empty but you are wearing a blue tie :stuck_out_tongue:)

Ta. :slight_smile: