Not experienced enough (22 yrs driving)

Hi i been driving hgvs for over 22 years my last full time job being 2008 ,i been doing other jobs not related to transport for last two years but doing part time arctic driving now and again.
Heres my point went for a job but got told their insurance company wont insure me because i have not got enough recent experience.never had this before. :unamused:

hook:
Hi i been driving hgvs for over 22 years my last full time job being 2008 ,i been doing other jobs not related to transport for last two years but doing part time arctic driving now and again.
Heres my point went for a job but got told their insurance company wont insure me because i have not got enough recent experience.never had this before. :unamused:

22yrs of experience and you forgot to lie on the application :unamused:

They’re right, you are out of practice :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tis a kick in the teeth, but its agencies looking to exploit younger less wise drivers, they are now asking for at least 6 months continuous driving, if you have had your license for more than 2 years. :unamused:

They are lying, they just want people who will work cheaper than you. Truck driving is a minimum wage job nowadays and anyone used to earning £1 an hour more than that is destined to get the bum’s rush.

I have heard of this. It’s what happens when you flood a country with cheap labour, gaffers start getting picky…

Niceone newmercman that did make me chuckle youre right i sent wrong cv.

hook:

Try getting it translated into Bulgarian or Lithuanian, you stand a much better chance.

Harry Monk:

hook:

Try getting it translated into Bulgarian or Lithuanian, you stand a much better chance.

But if you’re going to all that trouble it’s probably better to use it to find a job in Bulgaria or Lithuania.At least the wages would probably match the cost of living.But you’ll probably get turned down anyway here or there when they find out that you’re not actually a Bulgarian or a Lithuanian at the interview.

We’re back to the chicken and egg situation, no one will employ you without experience, so how do you gain experience?

In 1996, seventeen years after I gained my class one, I applied for a job as a weekend driver. I told them that I had never driven a max. weight artic before but they were happy to employ me. Would that happen today?

When I applied for my present job as a casual LGV driver, I had not driven one for seven years, but once again got the job.

I suspect it has more to do with the employer rather than the insurance company. My wife hasn’t driven a car for years but her name is on the policies and the insurance companies never ask if she drives regularly.

Harry Monk:
They are lying, they just want people who will work cheaper than you. Truck driving is a minimum wage job nowadays and anyone used to earning £1 an hour more than that is destined to get the bum’s rush.

Agreed harry.