Not allowed on site because

Took me 10 minutes of arguing with the gate ■■■■ yesterday, at a building site, before I was allowed in. The reason being: my hard hat was the same colour as his.

Not because I didn’t have one, or it was the wrong type, or was damaged, because he didn’t like the fact it was red, and his was also red.
His argument being that on gate staff were allowed red hard hats, everyone else’s had to be White.

Now this wasn’t the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, or anywhere remotely important, it was a small supermarket in Wimbledon.
I demanded to see this written policy in the end and he finally came back all sheepish saying he’d been told to let me in as they were waiting for the load. But if I ever return there without a White hat again he will find a reason to refuse me.

Absolutely ridiculous what these bell ends get away with. In the time I had to argue with him a crane in the yard burst it’s hydraulics meaning I couldn’t unload for two hours anyway, if he would have just let me in I’d have been well out of there and home.
Why do people like this get given jobs where they have to interact with other humans?!

Thats well funny, you’ll know in future to carry some paint in case you have to do a quick helment colour change lool.

Had a similar problem years ago at a site. Hi viz was required, and mine was red with reflective stripes. Gate git wouldn’t let me on site because my vest was the same colour as the fire wardens. I asked him to sign my delivery note explaining that fact so’s I could show it to my boss as to why I hadn’t delivered the parts that were required - all of a sudden, no problem :slight_smile:

I used to keep a pink high viz in my cab and a pink hard hat used to really wind up security on the gates of places like that…plus everyone then knew i wasnt from that site so knew i wont know where not to stand or whatever… same as when you go on site and dont wear a high viz someone from the other side of the site will shout/run over and say put your high viz on in case no one sees you…

I think I’d look forward to going back there with my red hard hat… :wink:

I had that years ago in a chemical factory. Sorry driver you cant wear that red hat because you have to be a fire marshall. OK I have a white hat, no that colour is for managers, well ffs lend me that yellow one over there, sorry that is for security personnel only.

:laughing:

I wasn’t banned but I was once told off for looking too young :open_mouth:

I have a blue one with Darby Flyer on the back (With a silhouette of a bird no less) :laughing:

Yeah I know - SAD :laughing:

Also, I was banned from the same site TWICE in as many weeks by the same gate guard. Obviously didn’t really take any notice when trying his best Hitler impression. Anyone know it? It was when they built the new (Joseph) Chaimberlain College in Birmingham.

Idiots never knew where they wanted the glass to go and I refused to move once I had unstrapped the frames. I wasn’t the only one from our company either :laughing:

We should have a cone shaped hat with a big D on it

Had this the other week on a Balfour Beatty building site, renown for their rigorously enforced H&S bovine excrement policies . "No worries mate, i will just just hiab all your polypipe and concrete chamber sections just here at the gate entrance then “. mr " H&S / banksman” soon changed his tune. :grimacing:

OH the joys of balfours! I got turned away from a site of theres not so long ago as I didn’t have a chin ■■■■■■■■ my hard hat (The guy was just being a ■■■) so I said my piece and dissapeared in a huff. Pulled up in a layby to give the forman a shout on the phone and vent a little and spotted a length of orange baler twine stuck on a bit of barbed wire fence…hmm i thought, so threaded it carefully through the little eyelets on the hat and tied it in an enormous bow under my chin. Low and behold they let me in with that!!! :confused: :imp:

roadrunner:
Had this the other week on a Balfour Beatty building site, renown for their rigorously enforced H&S bovine excrement policies . "No worries mate, i will just just hiab all your polypipe and concrete chamber sections just here at the gate entrance then “. mr " H&S / banksman” soon changed his tune. :grimacing:

Oh a Carillion site is much, MUCH worse lol :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile:
Not allowed to climb on a lowloader deck to get in & unload a 3CX backhoe - how the ■■■■ do you do it then? = not my prob drive!
hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I enjoy wearing my orange hi-viz as it goes well with my ginger wig and size 17 feet

Went to a building site friday. Got out of the cab in my t-shirt, shorts and sandals, went to see the site manager then pulled into the site. The site manager unloaded me, we had a chat whilst he checked the stuff and signed the delivery notes and off i went. Nothing said about h-vis, hard hat or safety boots!

Not a hard hat issue, but Roadays at Leeds had an issue with me for not keeping my Hi Viz in the cab, and the fact i had to get out of the truck, take one pace to the left, open my side locker and put said Hi Viz on caused them great alarm as it was a H&S breach. The jobsworth on the gate eventually lent me a Hi Viz for the one step required to get my own, and told me that if ever i arrived at their gatehouse without my Hi Viz in the cab with me again, i’d be refused entry to site!

When they brought HI-VIZ in at Teesport in the early 80s there was a spate of accidents with fork trucks hitting lorry drivers. I can only think this was because the dockers had something positive to aim at!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

BuzzardBoy:
Not a hard hat issue, but Roadays at Leeds had an issue with me for not keeping my Hi Viz in the cab, and the fact i had to get out of the truck, take one pace to the left, open my side locker and put said Hi Viz on caused them great alarm as it was a H&S breach. The jobsworth on the gate eventually lent me a Hi Viz for the one step required to get my own, and told me that if ever i arrived at their gatehouse without my Hi Viz in the cab with me again, i’d be refused entry to site!

the guy on the gate at roadways in leeds, is the most patronising arogant ■■■■ i have ever set eyes on :slight_smile:

I know a groundworker who’s painted his helmet purple…he also got banned from Council jobs because a woman inspector walked past him on a mini digger; “Excuse me love, do you know much about mini diggers?” “Why?” She asked. “Well, I keep pulling this lever but nowts happening.” HE HAD HIS ■■■■ IN HIS HAND AND WAS WAVING IT ABOUT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

grahamzx6r:

BuzzardBoy:

the guy on the gate at roadways in leeds, is the most patronising arogant [zb] i have ever set eyes on :slight_smile:

Which 1, the fat 1 or the old 1?
I had a minor run in with the old guy years ago when I worked for Roadways in Manchester, but got on great with him after that, he’d even lend me his car if I was out of hours stuck at Leeds depot to go get food / beer.

The fat 1 came running out after opening the barrier because I didn’t have my hi-vis on in the cab, it was ■■■■ wet through due to the rain, so I told him to ■■■■ off, he went in a right strop, went and told the old guy who came out, looked, turned round to him and proper took the ■■■■.

Anyway, think they’re both gone now?

plant fitter:
OH the joys of balfours! I got turned away from a site of theres not so long ago as I didn’t have a chin ■■■■■■■■ my hard hat (The guy was just being a ■■■) so I said my piece and dissapeared in a huff. Pulled up in a layby to give the forman a shout on the phone and vent a little and spotted a length of orange baler twine stuck on a bit of barbed wire fence…hmm i thought, so threaded it carefully through the little eyelets on the hat and tied it in an enormous bow under my chin. Low and behold they let me in with that!!! :confused: :imp:

I went to a site where the same had happened so the driver went back to his cab and got a roll of insulation tape out and taped the hat round his chin