Not a diary, just a few pics (with apolgies)

Been on bulk grain for the last month so here’s a few pics of loading and tipping. Not much between mills or farms, both are dirty smelly [zb] holes (IMHO) best avoided at all costs if possible :open_mouth: Usually tip/load up to 3 times a day mainly in south, 4/5 nights out a week.

Loading can be by auger or from an overhead bin, the auger takes around an hour and a quarter, or straight from the bin as little as 15 minutes.

This is wheat for breadmaking, this particular load was for Rank Hovis. 29 tonne is about the max for this trailer.

Another view of the auger, this was more or less ‘self service’, turn the auger on when you arrive, turn it off when you leave. Weight is determined with the onboard weigher, its important that the trailer body is raised a few inches clear of the bed for accurate weighing.

This was my companion for loading, nice guy though he was feeling a little ‘rough’ :smiley: :blush: this is about the most intelligent form of life found on most farms.

Tipping is achieved through a small hatch in the tailboard, discharge rate is determined by the mills ability to receive the wheat, too fast and you jam up their auger :blush: took just over an hour to tip at this mill (this is not the Rank Hovis mill).

Not much to say about this, sorry if my pics are a bit boring, goes with the job :open_mouth: best I can do !

Tiger.

nice pics, but resized to 800x600 to fit on screens - any chance you could do this in photobucket when you post the next ones :wink: …Denis F

Who cares how boring it could be, it’s nice to get an insight into other areas that we are not familiar with. Well done and nice pics :laughing:

However I must admit that I thought the tipping areas at flour mills etc would be - how can I put it?- more ‘clinical’ in approach to clean and sterile for foodstuffs :confused: :open_mouth:

Nice Pictures Fastrantiger.
I might do it next week.
Do you tip down Rank Hovis at Dock Gate 10?

bikemonkey:
Nice Pictures Fastrantiger.
I might do it next week.
Do you tip down Rank Hovis at Dock Gate 10?

Frequently, watch out for the rats :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tiger.

4/5 nights out? is that for Grainfarmers? My mate works at their Norfolk depot near Diss, he has had 1 night out this year.

Tidy motor mate,used to go out as a kid in grain trucks they didnt spary the
trailers back then.You learn something everyday i didnt know you had to
raise the body a bit to get an accurate weight.

Fastrantiger:

This dog’s eyes are freaking me out.

kindle530:
4/5 nights out? is that for Grainfarmers? My mate works at their Norfolk depot near Diss, he has had 1 night out this year.

Yes, go in Sunday night and home Friday night.

Harry Monk:
This dog’s eyes are freaking me out

"Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around my eyes, look into my eyes…(Little Britain) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tiger.

great piccys mate… nice to see other hgv work piccys… as i never done any bulk work…its all good.

Good pics.

Always nice too see other driving jobs,

wonder if one of the perks is delivering to brewery`s ?

Look forward to seeing more pics.

Great photo’s Tiger, I enjoyed looking.

I always enjoy seeing other types of work. Do some more soon.

nice pics, i did a couple of years on bulk, enjoyed it, but didnt go far enough.

is that an old grainfarmers truck?

is the volvo an ex searle distribution from felixstowe unit?

Good read and pics :smiley:

peterq5422:

No, Grainfarmers buy all their trucks new, Volvo XLs are the fleet standard. Its a different shade of green to Searles but i know where you are coming from.

kindle530:

peterq5422:

No, Grainfarmers buy all their trucks new, Volvo XLs are the fleet standard. Its a different shade of green to Searles but i know where you are coming from.

The unit is a Grainfarmers Volvo, I only did a month with them and finished last Friday. Long, long hours, dusty, muddy and usually nowhere to take a shower though I did make it into a truckstop one night (heaven!). The unit was new to Grainfarmers, about 18 months ago. However, since I was employed by them when I did the pics I airbrushed the logo and reg to comply with my conditions of employment etc etc. Sorting out another job today :smiley: (Monday).

Tiger.

Great stuff :slight_smile: