Not a bad pay rise

Yeah the bosses seem like decent people

theguardian.com/business/20 … e-bargains

Pay their taxes, unlike Amazon. Paying fair wages. And still managed to become billionaires. Would love to see more people like this in business

Sounds like my type of firm. Never shopped there before but I will now.

They will be able to pick and choose the cream to drive for them. £17.67 per hour. Jaguar Land Rover drivers are on £13.50 per hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

idrive:

Conor:

idrive:
£36k is a take home of £538 pw.
Not exactly mega money and it sounds like their shifts/hours have worsened for it

If you bothered to read the article it said their hourly rate had been increased from £15.85 to £17.67.

Well done, your university education is showing through.
Hourly rate is not the point.
It’s still £538 take home and I doubt there will be overtime.
If you are supporting a family this is just a living wage really, not mega money and not something that deserves trumpeting in the media as good publicity for a behemoth that is begrudgingly bringing wages into line.
It’s a shame that that is how things are.
It’s also hard work. High street stores, soulless workplace, poverty fleet etc

“The deal was agreed after management proposed changes to workers’ shift and payment schedule”
They will be paying for it somehow with worse or longer shifts.

And please change your signature, it makes me wretch

If you can’t run a household on 36k a year, your spending out of your means … who cares what shifts they are when most companies flog drivers for all hours god can send … it’s a good wage, plus being in house, they can mitigate losses through the company … 15£ an hour minimum is excellent … tell the drivers on the 20 pence over NMW to say it’s bad pay.

Silver_Surfer:
Sounds like my type of firm. Never shopped there before but I will now.

A good way to look at things that, similarly only give custom to companies and people who behave honourably and look after their customers long after they got their greasy hands on your dosh, one of the reasons why i drive Toyotas.

The opposite works too, a well known supermarket chain were one of the first big companies to actively go out and recruit foreign drivers (much good it did them too but kept the bodyshops and builders busy fixing the wreckage i suppose), more recently a large sports chain wouldn’t recognise the union, there’s just a couple of examples of such companies who won’t see me as a customer, not as they’d be bothered but if enough people give their custom to the other sort who knows what difference it might make to the more ethical.

Must be nice, not had a payrise in years.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

idrive:
Well done, your university education is showing through.
Hourly rate is not the point.

It is entirely the point.

It’s still £538 take home and I doubt there will be overtime.

At over £17/hr I don’t dispute the fact there won’t be an overtime rate. However they’ll be doing over 40hrs a week. £538 take home for a 40hr week, which the £36k is based on, is over £130 a week more than those on the national average wage do.

If you are supporting a family this is just a living wage really,

No it isn’t. It is double the minimum wage, several quid an hour over what those who advocate a living wage state for hourly pay and over £7/hr more than Labour want to increase the NMW to. £36k is also £10k above the national average.

not mega money and not something that deserves trumpeting in the media as good publicity for a behemoth that is begrudgingly bringing wages into line.

It is £10,000 above the national average.

“The deal was agreed after management proposed changes to workers’ shift and payment schedule”
They will be paying for it somehow with worse or longer shifts.

The hourly rate was what was negotiated so if they work longer shifts they earn even more. The point you seem to be having trouble understanding is that the stated £36k salary is for a regular 40hr week, not what they get including the hours they work beyond that. Unless they’re lucky enough to only do 40hrs they’ll be earning more than £36k.

And please change your signature, it makes me wretch

Stupidity to the level you display makes me wretch but I manage to cope with having to converse with utter mongs like yourself.

the maoster:
If the link works this appears to be a decent rise for Home bargains drivers

business-live.co.uk/economi … ssion=true

Power of a union and DRIVERS STICKING to TOGETHER !!!

didnt think it happened in the trucking industry.

Well Done drivers. Cue the green eyed moaners.

#Unions

Not so much the unions I reckon on this one Jimbo, more the fact the gaffer isn’t a money grabbing ■■■■■■. [emoji23]

Silver_Surfer:
Not so much the unions I reckon on this one Jimbo, more the fact the gaffer isn’t a money grabbing ■■■■■■. [emoji23]

All gaffers are money grabbing, thats why there the boss!!! :smiley:

But the ■■■■■■ ones increase profit by paying peanuts and drivers(dont help them selfs) by working for the tossers :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Let the crap compaines go to the wall.

truckerjimbo:

Silver_Surfer:

Let the crap compaines go to the wall.

Self fulfilling prophecy, when all they can get are the dregs it has to end up with operating costs outweighing wage savings, you can’t carry on like that for long.

Maybe the green death troubles might see a shift in how services are priced, they shouldn’t be on price alone anyway, service should play at least an equal part…won’t be holding me breath for that scenario to materialise either.

idrive:
Not exactly mega money and it sounds like their shifts/hours have worsened for it

Yup, They are going to want more than a pound of flesh for this, bet they will pinching were ever possible.

biggriffin:

idrive:

Yup, They are going to want more than a pound of flesh for this, bet they will pinching were ever possible.

Doesn’t necessarily compute that way.

So long as you are totally reliable (sick notes not wanted), do the job properly economically and efficiently, look after the customer and the equipment as if they were you own, you’d be surprised what an easy ride can be had where pay is well above average.

Thankfully the antitheses of the above type comprise an increasing number of within the industry, so it isn’t exactly difficult to look bloody brilliant in comparison, always helps a company via a reality check IMO when they employ an unreliable incompetent sick note or two that cause £thousands in damage when they do turn up, dangerous mayhem on the job and typically with a bad attitude to boot, makes the bosses appreciate the other sort a bit more.

On the plus side for both the employer and the employee, the management won’t have to tolerate bone idle imbecilic sick notes would can’t find their arse cheeks if they use both hands.

And the employees done have to carry such idiots which is the norm for big operators, the vehicles will be relatively free of damage and left in a clean condition for the next man because the job is worth looking after, you might have to do gaffer a favour from time to time and this will be remembered when you want a day off or an early finish, just how it should be.

Likely to be a good place to work where pride and professionalism are encouraged and expected, these jobs are out there, smart employers or some of them at least realise the endless supply of cheap relatively good EE drivers is now coming to an end and it makes good business sense to recruit and retain good people.

£17.67 is a very good rate good luck to them.

What I envisage happening here is loads of job hopping money chasers & waiting room gob ■■■■■■ sticking in applications because of the headline hourly rate. Some will get a job, boast to everybody who will listen about how they have hit the jackpot and then shortly afterwards whinge and condemn the whole job as a load of cack because they had to do a bit of graft, couldn’t get the hours in, had to work too many weekends, the wagons were old & the odd driver left a crisp bag in the door bin.

They will then return to some run of the mill hire & reward outfit driving a nice wagon doing 55-60 hrs a week and continue with moaning in waiting rooms about how screwed the job is.

All this shows you why it is so important to get the “Hourly Rate” rather than a “Salary Figure” when making enquiries about a job one might be interested in applying for…

I don’t ever put in an application to one of these “Competetive Salary” jobs, which could always mean “1p per hour above minimum wage” - MORE THAN THE GOING RATE, DONTCHYA KNOW?

If there’s one thing we’re all sick and tired of in our day-and-age - it is being bulls hitted by suited persons with more wealth and time on their hands than Yeauu!
If you can’t get straight-up, no bull answers to your direct questions - then what other questions are worth asking at Interview stage?

Can you imagine what would happen if “political leanings” came into job applications?, especially when it comes to that “application sinker” - the enquiry about “in-service benefits”?

(Green Applicant:) "Would this company, if employing me - recommend a good green burial ground, in the event that I’m killed on-duty, whilst giving me assurances that my performance would not be criticized for being carbon-neutral, should I refuse to start my engine when commencing a shift?

(Labour Applicant:) “Would this company, if employing me - supply me with co-workers that are fully representative of the ethnic types, genders 1 through 37, LGBT, and ensure my taxes only go to the NHS rather than any of the other public services?

(Liberal Applicant:) “Would this company, if employing me - supply me with a free parking space, cheaper insurance, subsidized overheads, a creche for my kids, and encourage me to socialize with my co-workers?”

(Tory Applicant:) "Would this company, if employing me - pay me better wages than all your competitor companies? - Workload - no object."

(Leftist Applicant:) “Would this company, if employing me - keep anyone with a different view to me AWAY from my sensetive care-in-the-community leanings?”

(Right Wing Applicant:) “Would this company, if employing me - keep me safe during my deliveries from muggers, not require me to handle cash without an enhanced security payment, support me in all desputes involving the law, pay decent wages during the hours of darkness when it is not as safe, pay “london weighting” for working IN London, rather than working “Out” of London?”

The interviewer might lean most likely to the “Liberal” option from all of the above, since that requires no input from the firm, no financial outlay from the firm, and all “social” obectives - could easily be achieved by following those laws like “■■■ Discrimination Act” rather than "Must give this job to “token” … Surely we have ALL worked at places where the firm will fall over backwards to employ another Lady driver, for example?

First shop done at Home Bargains. Like it, cheap for everyday stuff.

Probly still need to go to the big four for the posh stuff but I still remember when Tesco got rid of the minimum eight hour guarantee for drivers in the last recession.

Winseer:
All this shows you why it is so important to get the “Hourly Rate” rather than a “Salary Figure” when making enquiries about a job one might be interested in applying for…

I don’t ever put in an application to one of these “Competetive Salary” jobs, which could always mean “1p per hour above minimum wage” - MORE THAN THE GOING RATE, DONTCHYA KNOW?
[/i]

You might be doing yourself out of some of the best jobs out there by not enquiring to see what the job is actually about, not as the better jobs will necessarily discuss pay rates before interview stage, nor will they generally be advertised jobs, neither will the salaries be common knowledge because drivers tend to keep good secrets secret.

An hourly rate is a good basic figure for job comparison, easy to arrive at by diving top line by hours worked, you might be pleasantly surprised by the rates that are available out there, unadvertised and little known about, the company maybe doesn’t want to be inundated with headline rate grabbers of the here today…wreck the vehicles and equipment…gone tomorrow mob (sadly all too common), and they prefer people with proven backgrounds who asked to work there for whatever reason who then find a pleasant surprise when the subject of pay comes up, and sometimes an even better surprise when they find out how few hours they are actually working.

As i recall from my interview where i am now pay was one of the last subjects to be discussed, if they had ruled me out during interview i doubt i would have learned what the offer was, more than likely you wouldn’t get an interview at all if the question you asked on first inquiry was how much?
Didn’t get my current shift till i’d been there long enough to A qualify for shift change, B no one senior in terms of time employed wanted it, C you’d earned your move, i have no arguments with any of those.

Juddian:

Winseer:

[/i]

You might be doing yourself out of some of the best jobs out there by not enquiring to see what the job is actually about, not as the better jobs will necessarily discuss pay rates before interview stage, nor will they generally be advertised jobs, neither will the salaries be common knowledge because drivers tend to keep good secrets secret.

An hourly rate is a good basic figure for job comparison, easy to arrive at by diving top line by hours worked, you might be pleasantly surprised by the rates that are available out there, unadvertised and little known about, the company maybe doesn’t want to be inundated with headline rate grabbers of the here today…wreck the vehicles and equipment…gone tomorrow mob (sadly all too common), and they prefer people with proven backgrounds who asked to work there for whatever reason who then find a pleasant surprise when the subject of pay comes up, and sometimes an even better surprise when they find out how few hours they are actually working.

As i recall from my interview where i am now pay was one of the last subjects to be discussed, if they had ruled me out during interview i doubt i would have learned what the offer was, more than likely you wouldn’t get an interview at all if the question you asked on first inquiry was how much?
Didn’t get my current shift till i’d been there long enough to A qualify for shift change, B no one senior in terms of time employed wanted it, C you’d earned your move, i have no arguments with any of those.

To be honest you can’t fix stupid you can tell them till your blue in the face, they still persevere with the hire and reward comedy, leave after a while get a similar job, leave that one, moan constantly rinse and repeat.