Nosey Newbie Hello

Hello all, New to the forum but I have been nosey for a while, reading lots of really informative posts and info from some of you more experienced drivers. Names Razz , ive been driving coaches and 7.5t for a few years but decided to go for the HGV route last year.

Passed my cat C last November and started doing a bit of agency work driving an 18t DAF doing multidrop night work whilst applying for many other jobs to try and get a foot in the door with a decent company. Attended many interviews but the response was always the same " more experience needed". Even though I have plenty of experience with coaches and 7.5t the answer was always the same with the more experienced interviewees being offered the jobs. Stuck with the agency until feb this year to keep gaining experience and to keep earning obviously. In January I decided to print of lots of copies of my CV and introduce myself to as many of the local haulage firms as possible. Met a few friendly TM,s who shook my hand and promised to check out my CV and maybe offer me a trial drive etc but eventually my efforts payed off.

Popped in to one particular company and met the manager straight away. He took 5 mins to sit down with me and read through my CV and have a general chat . 20minutes later he said that they do actually have an opening for a night trunking driver that none of his day multi drop drivers wanted to take and asked if I would be interested in the position ?.

Well I did a trial drive on a day multi drop route with one of their drivers and was then asked if I would cover a route for the rest of that week for a driver who had called in sick. Finished the week with no issues and an offer of the night trunk job, Well ive been doing the night work in a 26t truck for the last 2 months now and im thoroughly enjoying it and ive received some positive feedback from the teams at both ends of my trunk and it looks like ive landed a good job with a good company and I couldn’t be more pleased. Still learning a lot with each new week and with the help of this forum and you guys so thank you all. Razz

Welcome to the forum pal, and glad you’ve landed a decent gig… :smiley:

Interesting that you say that a lot of firms were not interested, as allegedly we’ve a driver shortage! :laughing:

Thanks Evil8Beezle , The so called driver shortage was what prompted me to make the jump over to hgv. It seemed that having a cat D licence and passing class 2 with only one minor didn’t count for anything without experience. I applied for so many jobs and had a few interviews but all came to nothing which is why I decided to actually try by introducing myself to people with cv in hand. One TM actually appreciated my efforts and gave me a chance for which im very grateful, especially after reading how difficult its been for some newly qualified drivers on here.