Norwich to Cornwall 14/2/18

Hi all,

Travelling from Norwich to Cornwall on Wednesday in a car, toying with going via A14/M5 there and coming back next Sunday M4/M11.

Are there any major roadwords that would slow me down on either of those routes please?

Ta

The obvious A14…

Section of roadworks. If you go through around 10 am it should run smooth (ish). It only takes someone to ‘look at all the bull-dozers daddy’ and the whole thing stops.

m5 jct 1-3 , so take M6 head south down M42 then M5 as you come out below it
M4 road works around jct 10-11 A329m to A33 and the dreaded M25

Thanks.

A14 it is then. :slight_smile:

Cant help ref the road works I’m afraid but whereabouts in Cornwall are you going?
Be aware that the Devon & Cornwall Constabulary have in the last couple of weeks got some brand new revenue-generating doughnut fund vans to play with fitted with some highly sophisticated newfangled speed detection gubbins in them and they seem to be out and about very much lately especially on A38 and A30.
Gone are the days of making progress on an empty dual at 80 mph.

A11,A14,M6,M42,M5, A30, if M6 playing up Cut across A45 to M1 then M45,A46. M5,.

One a few are using is A428,A421, A34,A420,M4,M5

Gembo:
Cant help ref the road works I’m afraid but whereabouts in Cornwall are you going?
Be aware that the Devon & Cornwall Constabulary have in the last couple of weeks got some brand new revenue-generating doughnut fund vans to play with fitted with some highly sophisticated newfangled speed detection gubbins in them and they seem to be out and about very much lately especially on A38 and A30.
Gone are the days of making progress on an empty dual at 80 mph.

Yeah, my boy got done in November, 82 in a 70 on the A30. Luckily he got offered a SAC so his mother doesn’t know. :smiley:

I’m one of these that sticks near the limit these days, I’ll put the CC on at 74mph by satnav, going near Fowey.

“A11,A14,M6,M42,M5, A30,” Tha’s the one, and I’ll come back A30, M5, M4, M25, M11, A11 just for something different. :slight_smile:

A long time back now but …A11/A505 Royston/Baldock, cut through St.Albans, onto the M25 and onto A30.
Take no notice , i dont live there anymore and that will likely take you through the biggest jam ever… :blush::wink:

From the Thrapston area, we use A14 - M6 - A46 skirting Coventry - A46 Alcester - A46 Evesham - A46 through to the M5…plenty of places to stop en route…and it cuts out a lot of the crap at the top end of the M5 and around the M42…

Stanley Mitchell:
From the Thrapston area, we use A14 - M6 - A46 skirting Coventry - A46 Alcester - A46 Evesham - A46 through to the M5…plenty of places to stop en route…and it cuts out a lot of the crap at the top end of the M5 and around the M42…

I do a lot from kettering to Bridgwater and A46 is usually Quicker than the M42, misses most of the traffic

elsa Lad:

Stanley Mitchell:

I do a lot from kettering to Bridgwater and A46 is usually Quicker than the M42, misses most of the traffic

Very true…lets keep it quiet though, we dont want every Tom, ■■■■ and Ahmed using it :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:

elsa Lad:

Stanley Mitchell:

Very true…lets keep it quiet though, we dont want every Tom, ■■■■ and Ahmed using it :wink:

oops meant to say M42 is far faster :wink:

elsa Lad:

Stanley Mitchell:

elsa Lad:

Stanley Mitchell:

oops meant to say M42 is far faster :wink:

Not if there is a problem on it though, very easy to get caught on the M42 / M5 when the local clowns are about.

Well that was interesting. :slight_smile:

Had to pop into Kettering on the way there to drop something off. Wednesday was also the morning the M6 was closed between 2 and 3.

Google Maps took me off and through lots of back roads before coming out near Warwick and down the A46? to the M5. Only lost 35 mins which wasn’t too bad.

Coming home today, came up M4, as I got onto the M25 Google Maps suddenly added an hour and 10 to my journey. Apparently there was an accident on the M11, it rerouted me the way I was going to go anyway, up to St Albans, A1, A505 to A11.

My satnav has now been thrown away and Google Maps, via my phone, is the way to go from now on.