Norwegian Newbie- 1st. Day Dramas

Well it’s been a bit of a poxy first day on the job in Norway. Moved in to a little house last night and not really organised at all yet with regards to work or home life. Took the train into Trondheim this morning to get a few bits ‘n’ pieces and just as I got to the door of the first shop the boss rang saying that there might be a job so can you come back to the yard. Raced around like a mother ■■■■■■, met the boss’s parents who gave me the keys and a Norwegian road atlas, threw a few bits in the cab although I haven’t really got any night out gear sorted yet and hit the road to Ålesund. Had a diesel card but no PIN number, didn’t have a collection address, so had to meet the "chief driver " on a petrol station in the middle of nowhere to tell me what to do and lend me some safety boots. Then he decides to start giving me his own driver CPC course for an hour or so and asks me have I checked the front wheel nuts?? No… Why?? "Soo der varh chunjed larst veek and vi haven’t re-tensioned dem… So now in my nice clobber that I was wearing for the shopping trip in town I end up jumping up and down on a wheelbrace and find three loose nuts. That meant I just missed the ferry from Molde to Ålesund by 5 minutes so had to wait for the next one which was no biggie but just typical of the way the day has gone. Finally arrived in the designated layby in Ålesund and a bottle of shampoo has come undone and gone all over my clothes plus I’ve lost my headphones somewhere between here and Trondheim…Hmmm?? Never mind… Haven’t got a bowl or any water to clean up with yet but there’s a Shell station across the road… Closed and no tap outside to have a bob squash with… Other than that though it’s been great, have just about re-calibrated myself with driving a left ■■■■■■ again now after a few arse clenching moments… Apparently it’s a bit of an akward reverse to load in the morning and I’ll have to use the remote control steering on the trailer to get in there but whatever, I’ll do what I’ve gotta do… Hopefully now that I’m up and running things will start to go a little smoother when I get a bit more organized. Been some nice scenery on the way but my i-phone keeps ■■■■■■■ up and saying the memory is full for some strange reason… Only managed to get a couple of photos, hopefully I’ll be able to get a bit of a diary posted up in the future if there’s any interest in it…

Well an interesting first day there buddy.
I actually took my now wife to Norway 3 years ago to propose to her, and it is a beautiful country with some stunning scenery. We have talked about moving out there before we start a family, but time will tell.

Good luck with the new job buddy and keep us all posted.

I actually took my now wife to Norway 3 years ago to propose to her, and it is a beautiful country with some stunning scenery. We have talked about moving out there before we start a family, but time will tell.

danalex84:

I believe the rules re bigamy are the same in Norway as the UK :smiley:

Keep it coming

Q how do you find out if someone has an iPhone?

A you just wait for them too tell you.

Welcome to Norway! :smiley:

Can’t beat Norway …if only all countries had garages with views like that !

Nice picture dogthehunter! Was it taken beside E39 north of Stavanger, between Byfjordtunnelen og Mastrafjordtunnelen?

If I am not mistaken I did see you in one of those tunnels or in Bømlafjordtunnelen a few weeks ago. Might this be correct?

Think that was on the island of Sokn…was on my way back from Floro To Kristiansand

Your first day cracked me up, I though this sort of stuff only happens to me. I had a thai coconut soup in a flask for lunch accidentally open in my bag completely drowning everything including sat nav, samsung tablet, maps, night out stuff. for ■■■■■ sake!

Keep up the trip report and pics. Interesting to read.

MikeDBristol:
Your first day cracked me up, I though this sort of stuff only happens to me. I had a thai coconut soup in a flask for lunch accidentally open in my bag completely drowning everything including sat nav, samsung tablet, maps, night out stuff. for [zb] sake!

Keep up the trip report and pics. Interesting to read.

Thai coconut soup! where have the real truckers of this once great country gone!,next you’ll be telling us you drink skinny latte and read the Guardian,tsk,I don’t know,when I started driving…wanders off muttering about thatched roofed Atkinsons etc etc :laughing: