Northwest Trucks

Called in to see the main man Steve today for a chat and have a look around his new premises.(Very impressed with what he has done in the 3 years he has been there)
3 Bay workshop + Bodyshop & Paint bay. I must say it would have been a pleasure to have worked in a workshop like this.

Volvo FM recently refurbed and painted just waiting for lettering

Motors from Ashton under lyne
20180312161243-907b2a1a.jpg

Hi John, I have just spent the last two days going back over this thread :smiley: so here are a couple of photos that I don’t think have been posted on here before.
Four more Ashton Under Lyne companies.

Hadfields.
I.I.R.C. in the 70’s their yard used to be on the right hand side on Oldham Road just as you came out of Ashton.

Stelfox Removals.

9ugty765.JPG

Hills Biscuits.

HillsBiscuitsAshtonmid50s.jpg

Nobles had a depot on Scotland Street.

B.T.W. John.
I must of driven past those old building on Scotland Street dozens of times years ago and never once noticed how much work must of gone into building those window frames. There is a similar looking building just around the corner on Stamford Street. It’s a shame how the area has declined over the last twenty years. :cry:

earth.google.com/web/search/Sco … DZnMWNnEAI

mushroomman:
Hi John, I have just spent the last two days going back over this thread :smiley: so here are a couple of photos that I don’t think have been posted on here before.
Four more Ashton Under Lyne companies.

Hadfields.
I.I.R.C. in the 70’s their yard used to be on the right hand side on Oldham Road just as you came out of Ashton.

Stelfox Removals.

Hills Biscuits.

Nobles had a depot on Scotland Street.

B.T.W. John.
I must of driven past those old building on Scotland Street dozens of times years ago and never once noticed how much work must of gone into building those window frames. There is a similar looking building just around the corner on Stamford Street. It’s a shame how the area has declined over the last twenty years. :cry:

earth.google.com/web/search/Sco … DZnMWNnEAI

Hi MMan Hadfield Transport still operating today now based in Miles Platting Manchester . I remember them when they were based on Old Street Ashton u Lyne next to the Pavillion Cinema(photo below ) then they moved to what was the old coal yard at the bottom of Oldham rd as you stated they then had a move to Shepley Ind Est at Dukinfield before having depot built at Miles Platting.
Hadfield 2.jpg
hadfield.jpg
John Hills biscuit company(think it has a name change now) still operating in Ashton at the west end near to the police station.Also remember Nobles being on Scotland Street as my grandfathers brother John Shockledge had a business on England Street which was round the corner from them during the 40/50/60s.

the only photo i have of his 1st lorry.

Hi John, I wasn’t sure if it was you who first posted that photo of the Stelfox removals van a couple of years ago.
As I have an old friend called Stelfox who was born and lived in Ashton for most of his life, I asked him if he was any relation to that removal company. He said that he didn’t think so but he did tell me that he used to drive for Robertson’s jams just down the road in Droylesden.
Unfortunately, he didn’t take any photos of the vans that he drove but he did mention that he used to have dozens of those little enamel badges.
I remember that I asked him what he did before he worked at Robertson’s and he told me that he was a Telegram Boy with a pushbike riding around Manchester. :sunglasses:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson%27s

Not My Photos.

tk2_zps9f23ab7b.jpg

tk3_zpsb76d4425.jpg

tk4_zpsa726962e.jpg

This might be of interest to some of you old lads.

youtube.com/watch?v=DpZTRu4ZeVA

And remember, nobody should drive on a motorway for more than an hour and a half. :unamused:

mushroomman:
Hi John, I wasn’t sure if it was you who first posted that photo of the Stelfox removals van a couple of years ago.
As I have an old friend called Stelfox who was born and lived in Ashton for most of his life, I asked him if he was any relation to that removal company. He said that he didn’t think so but he did tell me that he used to drive for Robertson’s jams just down the road in Droylesden.
Unfortunately, he didn’t take any photos of the vans that he drove but he did mention that he used to have dozens of those little enamel badges.
I remember that I asked him what he did before he worked at Robertson’s and he told me that he was a Telegram Boy with a pushbike riding around Manchester. :sunglasses:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson%27s

Not My Photos.

This might be of interest to some of you old lads.

youtube.com/watch?v=DpZTRu4ZeVA

And remember, nobody should drive on a motorway for more than an hour and a half. :unamused:

Robertsons jam works is now a housing estate the works was demolished a good few years ago and left until recently,I used to live just down the road from it at Fairfield during the 60s.

Robertsons_Jam_Factory_Droylsden_2005.jpg Replaced with 338 new houses.

moomooland:
Finally found out who the firm was who did the Spar distribution out of Townkey Street in Middleton.

It was Wright and Green Ltd, anyone remember them?

That Wright and Green site on the corner of Townley Street and Oldham Road used to be the old Middleton Central Railway Station in the fifties.

In the seventies, I can remember quite often seeing lots of Harris’s Road Services, with the brown and cream livery four wheelers in there. So I wonder if the Wright and Green motors were on contract from Harris’s or if Harris’s got the delivery contract at some time. :confused:

One for Kev.

OB_PH0042_SALS_viners_1965.jpg

Clarenden haulage ltd
nmp

0a1b81b6435258f5cf63b038e015e589.jpg
Sharna ware used to be based in Droylsden

Morning John, you’re up early. :slight_smile:

mushroomman:
Morning John, you’re up early. :slight_smile:

Not early MM just off to bed pal been looking through TNet and lost track of time.Hope your keeping well I haven’t been on here for a while so I thought it about time I looked in again.

You’ve been missed John. :wink:

Megan Plant Hire..png

M.I.F.T..jpg

This thread used to be the link to Northwest Trucks on Fotopic.

Due to it going off line in 2011 all the valuable pictures and information were lost.

So if anyone want to add pictures or info of Northwest Haulage companies please add them to this thread.

Thanks go to you Paul. You’ve done a fantastic job. Brought back lots of memories for me and no doubt countless others.

Ray

flishflunk:
Thanks go to you Paul. You’ve done a fantastic job. Brought back lots of memories for me and no doubt countless others.

Ray

Absolutely! It’s a jolly fine site

240 Gardner:

flishflunk:

Ray

Absolutely! It’s a jolly fine site

Getting to be one of the best site’s on the Web, long may it florrish!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thank you very much for the above comments the site was great while it lasted shame all that work went down the pan thanks to Fotopic.

Excelent stuff moomoo :wink:

Great pics paul thanks for posting them.A lot of old memories revived,hard times in the early days eh,all handball,all rope and sheeting,no sleepers,and no night heaters,what a life.

Some good memories from the pictures