Northwest Trucks

moomooland:

kevmorrow:
Excellent photos Paul

Cheers Kev here’s a few more from the Northwest archives.

7 1956 and a Leyland Beaver draw-bar outfit is in the thick of the action in Piccadilly Manchester. (Click on picture for larger size)

Great photos, thanks for finding them and posting them Paul. I’m intrigued by the two limos to the offside of the Beaver, in among the run of the mill stuff. I’m struggling to identify the marques, Daimler or Bentley/ Jaguar Mk. IX ■■? Help me please.

gingerfold:
Great photos, thanks for finding them and posting them Paul. I’m intrigued by the two limos to the offside of the Beaver, in among the run of the mill stuff. I’m struggling to identify the marques, Daimler or Bentley/ Jaguar Mk. IX ■■? Help me please.

The one next to the Beaver is a Bentley but as regards the other i cant help altough someone on here will know for certain. :smiley:

The other ‘limo’ is an Armstrong Siddeley.

Pete.

windrush:
The other ‘limo’ is an Armstrong Siddeley. Pete.

Thanks for that Pete knew someone would know, im not the best at identifying old cars.

Here’s some more nostalgia from the Northwest.

A62 Oldham Road at the old Playhouse theater in 1971.

Shell BP ERF LV 8 wheeler tanker at Ardwick roundabout 1965.

Atkinson Borderer heading along Ashton New Road 1973.

Busy scene at Cross Street Manchester 1960’s.

Another shot of Cross Street Manchester in the 1960’s

Express Dairies showing all its load while heading through Northenden in 1967.

Albion Clydesdale milk tanker OPF 851E would have been new when this shot was taken in Northenden in 1967.

Topham Brothers Cecil Street Manchester 1970.

Albion Riever operated by Parkers unloading at Partington in 1970.

Upper Brook Street Manchester 1965.

I knew I should have parked elsewhere :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: (Manchester street scene during the 60s)

Moss Side Manchester.jpg

moomooland:

windrush:
The other ‘limo’ is an Armstrong Siddeley. Pete.

Thanks for that Pete knew someone would know, im not the best at identifying old cars.

Here’s some more nostalgia from the Northwest.

A62 Oldham Road at the old Playhouse theater in 1971.

thXUK463E3.jpgShell BP ERF LV 8 wheeler tanker at Ardwick roundabout 1965.

Atkinson Borderer heading along Ashton New Road 1973.

Busy scene at Cross Street Manchester 1960’s.

Another shot of Cross Street Manchester in the 1960’s

Express Dairies showing all its load while heading through Northenden in 1967.

Albion Clydesdale milk tanker OPF 851E would have been new when this shot was taken in Northenden in 1967.

Topham Brothers Cecil Street Manchester 1970.

Albion Riever operated by Parkers unloading at Partington in 1970.

Upper Brook Street Manchester 1965.

Only words “fantastic” as it brings back many happy memories. I was trying to find delivery vehicles for Lewis’s Department store and Pauldens off Stretford road but could not find any.
The Shell BP spirit tanker I am sure would have been based at the old MOR (Manchester Oil Refinery) Carrington later taken over by Shell Chemicals. The fuel storage and terminal loading site was on Flixton Road called the mile road. Walls van from Godley Junction Hyde.
Cross Street Manchester. Holdsworth and Gibb. Used to deliver bread to their canteen at Swinton early 1960s.
Number 94 BUS. I travelled on many times in the 1950s from Seymour Grove Old Trafford.
Remember Smallmans vans based at Heald grove. Was Manchester parcels taken over by BRS.
Bowies removals and general haulage van from Brooklands area of Sale. Remember long wait to offload and a Bowies driver was in front and he said jump in the passenger’s side. I turned the door handle and it came off in my hand. Eventually got in and my feet went through the floor. Made me laugh when he said they were a good company to work for. Early 1970s they changed the fleet to BMCs and were well maintained.
Express milk Northenden. They used to be based at Urmston close to Davyhulme Park Hospital. The milk tanker at Northenden not sure where based.
Topham Bros Lorrys looks familiar but cannot remember their yard.
Parker Timber delivery Partington. Were Parkers part of Parker Rossers elevator road Trafford Park? I remember a driver had a nickname Parker Rosser!, there was another called “embolism” banter for “Slow Moving Clot” . Remember Partington being built and most came from Hulme Greenheys and All Saints areas of Manchester similar to Wythenshawe.
The photo with the Austin van is interesting. Looking at the advert for the Volkswagen Beatle for £649. 1965

Stanfield:
I knew I should have parked elsewhere :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: (Manchester street scene during the 60s)

Hi John
Today kids would have to have protective clothing to play like this and good solicitors for no win no fee in case of accidents while wrecking the car.
Good photo showing the derelict land due to bombing in the war. Most streets near my school at Stretford rd were similar. Remember industry round Brookes bar was Holts ales, Dueers Jam, Vimto, Swales ales,
Kev

kevmorrow:
Only words “fantastic” as it brings back many happy memories. I was trying to find delivery vehicles for Lewis’s Department store and Pauldens off Stretford road but could not find any.

Thanks again for your very interesting comments Kev.

Regarding Pauldens here’s a old period shot taken outside Pauldens in Manchester.

Parked outside the Auto Electricians in Ancoats in 1970 this Seddon operated by Ward & Goldstone of Salford would have been new at the time.

Seddon heading along Ashton New Road Clayton in 1963.

Seddon on Hyde Road Reddish 1963.

Thames Trader operated by Sarden of Slough on Bury New Road Manchester 1964.

Thames Trader Hyde Road Gorton 1966.

Thames Trader and Karrier behind the Piccadilly Hotel on New York Street 1964.

Chesters Bedford TK Ashton Old Road Gorton 1965.
Click on picture twice to look at fine detail, Eggs 2 shillings (10p) a dozen and scabby dog waiting outside the Ashburns Arms. :smiley:

Manchester Liners Salford Docks.

!960s view of Trinity Street, Bolton, at its junction with Newport Street, where the bus is coming from. The photo was taken from the offices of Hick Hargreaves in Crook Street. A J&A Smith of Maddiston Leyland Comet (I think, but the wheelbase might make it a Beaver) artic is prominent. Since the photo was taken the only constant is the redundant Trinity Church. The road and junctions have been completely re-planned and re-aligned. The large Railway Hotel (behind the bus) next to the station has been demolished, the station frontage has been rebuilt. The scene today is totally different.

(The milk tanker at Northenden not sure where based. )
Kev the tanker would more than likely been based at the MMB Wilmslow depot which was all tank work I worked at the Chadderton depot in the garage which was a sub depot of Wilmslow and did all churn collections

Many thanks for all the views of Manchester and area, lads. Memories of times when I first delivered to the area in the mid to late 1960s.

gingerfold:
!960s view of Trinity Street, Bolton, at its junction with Newport Street, where the bus is coming from. The photo was taken from the offices of Hick Hargreaves in Crook Street. A J&A Smith of Maddiston Leyland Comet (I think, but the wheelbase might make it a Beaver) artic is prominent. Since the photo was taken the only constant is the redundant Trinity Church. The road and junctions have been completely re-planned and re-aligned. The large Railway Hotel (behind the bus) next to the station has been demolished, the station frontage has been rebuilt. The scene today is totally different.

Talking of wheelbases, what about that bus? It looks like an earlier one, which would have had a 27’ body, with a replacement 30’ body. Someone will know! :sunglasses: Robert

Plenty of tail swing on that, Robert. I have to admit that, having received a message from base to return to the customer that I had just left, I swung the artic around in a wide part of the road. Those modern glass bus shelters don’t half go off with a bang!

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:

Talking of wheelbases, what about that bus? It looks like an earlier one, which would have had a 27’ body, with a replacement 30’ body. Someone will know! :sunglasses: Robert

Yes Robert, the bus does look odd, and it will look even odder in a second when the car crashes into the side of it. :open_mouth: I’ll look in my Bolton Corporation Transport books as I don’t recall any policy of re-bodies at Bolton. It was a highly individual municipal fleet, for example it was the first to specify Leyland PD2 variants with air brakes (1948 batch IIRC) and also synchromesh gearboxes.

gingerfold:

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:

Yes Robert, the bus does look odd, and it will look even odder in a second when the car crashes into the side of it. :open_mouth: I’ll look in my Bolton Corporation Transport books as I don’t recall any policy of re-bodies at Bolton. It was a highly individual municipal fleet, for example it was the first to specify Leyland PD2 variants with air brakes (1948 batch IIRC) and also synchromesh gearboxes.

Synchromesh in 2nd, 3rd and 4th to be precise! Yes, thanks, it’ll be interesting to see if that was a re-bodied bus! Robert

moomooland:

kevmorrow:

Thanks again for your very interesting comments Kev.

thBC605UPT.jpgRegarding Pauldens here’s a old period shot taken outside Pauldens in Manchester.

Thanks for interesting photo but what a coincidence that Pauldens had a horrific fire and maybe fuelled by flammable products such as latex foams that now need fire certificates in furniture.
They seem to have had a history for disasters on this site.

The building was rebuilt in 1930 and it apparently escaped disaster in 1941 when it received a direct hit from a bomb that went straight though the lift shaft doing little damage.

In 1957 the store had a major refurbishment and on the Sunday before it was due to re-open a fire broke out that completely gutted the building. The links below show the scene as firemen were fighting the blaze and the front of the building collapsed.
Initially Pauldens moved next door and set up business in the neighbouring Drill Hall.
Another incident occurred at the site after the fire when a double-decker bus was involved in a crash and ended up falling into the exposed basement of the store.
In 1959 Paulden’s reopened in Market Street in the former Ryland’s Warehouse that today is home to Debenhams. KEV

th9HMLU0BZ.jpg

Vitafoam[1].jpg

Stanfield:
(The milk tanker at Northenden not sure where based. )
Kev the tanker would more than likely been based at the MMB Wilmslow depot which was all tank work I worked at the Chadderton depot in the garage which was a sub depot of Wilmslow and did all churn collections

thanks for the info about MMB Wilmslow. When I moved from Manchester to Kings Lynn 1985 my first job was driving MMB milk tanker for Dairy Crest and used to collect milk from farms Kings Lynn to North Norfolk coast down to Swaffham areas and the rest collected from Norwich dairy plant. There must have been 100s of farms producing milk but today there is just a handful.
You know how we had to be careful checking milk and sampling before accepting milk from farms. Feb 1987 was a bad winter and drifts stopped me getting to farms in Fakenham areas. Farmers had to load milk in ■■■■■■■■■ containers that were normally home for rats and meet me near Fakenham to tranship. When I got back to the dairy my tank samples looked like axle grease but it still went through the plant and bottled up.
Another Kings Lynn Dairy we had to wear ties but one of the drivers somehow got nearly strangled by a horse he was feeding it his sandwiches and had to be hospitalised KEV.

shugg:
Does anyone from the Northwest area recall a company named Cowburn Brothers , their fleet was painted orange and they ran a rather well worn fleet on fruit and vegetables to the markets in Scotland . Haven,t seen them around for some time , I would be interested on any information and history of the company , many thanks in advance .

I think they were a West Lancashire outfit, somewhere like Hoole or Tarleton - Marky would know if he’s looking in

Hi, Folks , Satinax ring a bell the taken over by Modo ,most of the drivers in our area worked for them some many times , just a bit useless info Cheers Barry

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:

Synchromesh in 2nd, 3rd and 4th to be precise! Yes, thanks, it’ll be interesting to see if that was a re-bodied bus! Robert

Hello again Robert. As I thought Bolton Transport didn’t pursue a bus re-body policy, so the bus in the photo was built with a long rear overhang. It is a Leyland PD3/4 with East Lancashire Coachbuilders front entrance / front staircase body. The first buses with this design that Bolton bought and the first ones entered service in 1959. I remember them well, they were frequently used on the Number 52 Bolton to Bury route, which served the district where I grew up. Incidentally Bury had some as well but with a bellows type folding door. Bury Corporation often followed Bolton’s policy, the air braked PD2/4 was also used by Bury, and it’s claimed that Bolton and Bury were the only two municipal fleets to purchase that variant of a PD2.