Northwest Trucks

moomooland:
Bit of nostalgia from around the Northwest.

8J Bradshaw & Sons Leyland Comet Ardwick roundabout 1966.

7Healds Daries Commer Northenden 1967.

6Dodge artic in Manchester July 1962.

5Marshall Leyland Comet Salford 1963.

4R.E.Dixon Dodge on Stockport Road Longsight 1965.

3Foden in traffic at Longsight in October 1962.

2Unidentified Albion Caledonian Ardwick Green roundabout November 1965.

1Satinex Ford ‘D’ Series Alexandra Road Hulme 1968.

0Shude Hill Manchester mid 60’s.

What a fantastic lot of nostalgia!

I remmember Bradshaws very well. Overhead cables I remember riding on the trolley buses 1950s . The bus depot was near Ardwick green. Lorry drivers on overnight stops would park up on Hyde Road and book into digs. This area was full of pubs but also close to Manchester City. Belle View Boxing Wrestling and speedway.

A mate of mine worked for Healds dairy lorries app 1966

The small Claridges van in front of the Dodge is an old workmate Barry Griffin. Claridges also had many 10 tonner Dodges flats and boxes and a couple of then 28 tonner flats. Barrys daughter worked in the office at Allens transport next to Metrovics GEC Westinghouse Road Trafford park then promoted I think to route planner to Traffic manager.

Nixons of Stockport used to cart paper for news print and Bowaters packaging Levenshulme.

The Boyds sputnic van on Alec Road I am sure belonged to Boyds dairy that were based on Ayres Road junction and Skerton Road Old Trafford. I recognize the Graigmillar flour lorry.

The area of shudehill Yates I used to deliver bread and cakes to them when I was working at Mothers Pride Bread.
I recall they had a cafe above premises. Going off subject we had bought a puppy from Tib street pet shops and picked it up in the breadvan. By the time I got back to the bakery quite a few pies doughnuts had vanished and pup was sick as a dog!
Regards Kev

Smashing set of pics Paul and not a foreign vehicle in sight.
Here’s another taken in Handforth(I think) the Dodge 6 wheeler belonged to Thomas Lamb of Gorton and was driven by Eddie Hartley (Tipits Dad)

14.png

kevmorrow:
What a fantastic lot of nostalgia!

Regards Kev

Thanks for all the interesting info Kev pleased you like them will add a few more shortly.
I see your old workmate Barry Griffin did a good job blocking the junction. :smiley:

Stanfield:
Smashing set of pics Paul and not a foreign vehicle in sight.
Here’s another taken in Handforth(I think) the Dodge 6 wheeler belonged to Thomas Lamb of Gorton and was driven by Eddie Hartley (Tipits Dad)]

Hi John the picture of the Thomas Lamb Dodge was taken on Palatine Road Northenden in 1967.
Here’s the un-cropped version.

M.A. Keenan & Sons Leyland Comet on Stockport Road Longsight in October 1962.(Click on picture for full screen view)

BMC and Bedford TK at South Street Openshaw in 1969.

Junction of Cross Street and Market Street in Manchester 1966.
Cant make out the owner of the Atkinson due to his rolled up sheet covering the headboard.

Groves and Whitnall Ltd Commer delivering to the Beswick Inn off Ashton New Road in 1966.

Oldham Road BRS Parcels depot in December 1966 which was located just of the A62 at Ancoats Manchester.
Plenty of Scammell couplings and Noddy vans back in the day.

This Barber Road Services Ergomatic Leyland Beaver, Reg No TWA 311F, came to grief in 1969
on the A57 Hyde Road in Manchester after running into the back of a tipper.

Talking of nostalgia here’s a favorite picture of mine, taken in 1964, showing an electrical transformer that had been collected from the Ferranti factory at Hollinwood near Oldham.

Pictured here being hauled by Wynn’s Pacific 6x6 heavy duty prime mover Reg No GDW 277 ‘Dreadnought’ two more Pacific’s can be seen in attendance at the rear on pushing and restraining duties at it makes it’s way up the long climb out of Delph on the A62 up towards Standedge Cutting before the long descent into Marsden then onward towards Huddersfield.

Note the queue of traffic behind which was a regular occurrence on the old A62 trunk road through Saddleworth long before the opening of the M62 across the Pennines.

windrush:

Retired Old ■■■■:

DEANB:
Clipping from 1992.

Bet they regretted that 8-litre ■■■■■■■■ The only unreliable ■■■■■■■ I have ever encountered!

My gaffer had a C series 8 litre ■■■■■■■ in a new F reg Foden six wheeler rated at 265 bhp and it was very good, it pulled better than my L10 and was better on fuel as well. The small synchromesh gearbox was the weak point, he got through several of those before he modified it and fitted a 9 speed constant mesh Fuller which improved things. He did fit another new engine in it when it was a few years old but the original had never been touched, it just wore out! :laughing:

Pete.

Different experiences, Pete! The firm I worked for had ■■■■■■■ engines in a variety of lorries. The boss was looking for a new 6-wheeler so he specced an 8-litre. It was on the side of the road more than it was driving along it. Not a patch on the 6-litre four wheelers we had and didn’t seem to pull as well, either.

Does anyone from the Northwest area recall a company named Cowburn Brothers , their fleet was painted orange and they ran a rather well worn fleet on fruit and vegetables to the markets in Scotland . Haven,t seen them around for some time , I would be interested on any information and history of the company , many thanks in advance .

moomooland:
6M.A. Keenan & Sons Leyland Comet on Stockport Road Longsight in October 1962.(Click on picture for full screen view)

5BMC and Bedford TK at South Street Openshaw in 1969.

4Junction of Cross Street and Market Street in Manchester 1966.
Cant make out the owner of the Atkinson due to his rolled up sheet covering the headboard.

3Groves and Whitnall Ltd Commer delivering to the Beswick Inn off Ashton New Road in 1966.

2Oldham Road BRS Parcels depot in December 1966 which was located just of the A62 at Ancoats Manchester.
Plenty of Scammell couplings and Noddy vans back in the day.

1This Barber Road Services Ergomatic Leyland Beaver, Reg No TWA 311F, came to grief in 1969
on the A57 Hyde Road in Manchester after running into the back of a tipper.

0 Talking of nostalgia here’s a favorite picture of mine, taken in 1964, showing an electrical transformer that had been collected from the Ferranti factory at Hollinwood near Oldham.

Pictured here being hauled by Wynn’s Pacific 6x6 heavy duty prime mover Reg No GDW 277 ‘Dreadnought’ two more Pacific’s can be seen in attendance at the rear on pushing and restraining duties at it makes it’s way up the long climb out of Delph on the A62 up towards Standedge Cutting before the long descent into Marsden then onward towards Huddersfield.

Note the queue of traffic behind which was a regular occurrence on the old A62 trunk road through Saddleworth long before the opening of the M62 across the Pennines.

Excellent photos Paul
Started early from Trafford park first drop Stalybridge to York re-load at Leeds, stopping for breakfast at Motormans café Marsden about 9:00 am. A Wynns maintenance van pulled in to Motormans to collect pre-ordered bacon sandwiches and filled up brewcans told us to get mobile as a long slow moving load was on its way and long tailback to Oldham. I had tipped my load and reloaded and met the Wynns rig on A62 near the Three Nunns Mirfield heading East about 4 pm. Apparently Wynns had a breakdown at Slaithwaite (Slowate) or Colgar area before Huddersfield.
1960s no cab radios or smartphones to listen for traffic bulletins. No cab phones Tachos but still the best years as you were your own boss. Best memories was having an extra afternoon hours sleep in a layby run back to depot on overtime was bliss.
Good photo of Wonderloaf breadvan and Cheshire Sterry milk lorry based Garden Dairy, Green Lane, Didsbury Road, Stockport. 1950s 60s problem delivering to corner shops was turning up when wholesale delivery companies like SPD (speedy prompt delivery) think depot was based at Higher Broughton. Kev

There are some cracking photos there lads, they bring back a load of memories of roads once travelled. :smiley:
There were a couple of old photos in last nights Manchester Evening News of The Bradford (Manchester) pit.

A couple of old North West firms from the past (Photos by Stilltime)
George Waddacor used to do a lot of his work moving clinker from Bradford Road Gas Works.

Gilbraiths Accrington moved from tippers to Tankers in later years

mushroomman:
There are some cracking photos there lads, they bring back a load of memories of roads once travelled. :smiley:
There were a couple of old photos in last nights Manchester Evening News of The Bradford (Manchester) pit.

The Bradford Colliery Leyland Beaver pre-dates nationalisation of the coal industry and the formation of NCB (1949?). Its ‘RJ’ Salford registration suggests that it was supplied by Woodwards. Bradford Colliery supplied the nearby Manchester Corporation Stewart Street power station with much of its requirement by an underground conveyor system. The colliery and power station were on the site of the present day Velodrome and Manchester City’s Etihad stadium.

kevmorrow:
Excellent photos Paul

Cheers Kev here’s a few more from the Northwest archives.

1956 and a Leyland Beaver draw-bar outfit is in the thick of the action in Piccadilly Manchester. (Click on picture for larger size)

Ardwick roundabout 1966.

Hyde Road 1965.

AEC operated by ICI Petrol on the Mancunian Way June 1969.

Commer on Alexandra Road Hulme Manchester 1965.

Beattie’s yard Bennet Street Ardwick 1966.

Tesco Commer heading through Northernden Manchester in 1966.

To finish off a milk float comes a cropper on the A669 Lees Road Oldham. :slight_smile:

moomooland:
Bit of nostalgia from around the Northwest.

8J Bradshaw & Sons Leyland Comet Ardwick roundabout 1966.

7Healds Daries Commer Northenden 1967.

6Dodge artic in Manchester July 1962.

5Marshall Leyland Comet Salford 1963.

4R.E.Dixon Dodge on Stockport Road Longsight 1965.

3Foden in traffic at Longsight in October 1962.

2Unidentified Albion Caledonian Ardwick Green roundabout November 1965.

1Satinex Ford ‘D’ Series Alexandra Road Hulme 1968.

0Shude Hill Manchester mid 60’s.

Fabulous pictures of yesteryear. Reminds me of my childhood growing up in Greater Manchester.
GBW.

moomooland:
0To finish off a milk float comes a cropper on the A669 Lees Road Oldham. :slight_smile:

I told Ernie, that one day it will end in tears.

Dave…

moomooland:

kevmorrow:
Excellent photos Paul

Cheers Kev here’s a few more from the Northwest archives.

7 1956 and a Leyland Beaver draw-bar outfit is in the thick of the action in Piccadilly Manchester. (Click on picture for larger size)

6Ardwick roundabout 1966.

5Hyde Road 1965.

4AEC operated by ICI Petrol on the Mancunian Way June 1969.

3Commer on Alexandra Road Hulme Manchester 1965.

2Beattie’s yard Bennet Street Ardwick 1966.

1Tesco Commer heading through Northernden Manchester in 1966.

0To finish off a milk float comes a cropper on the A669 Lees Road Oldham. :slight_smile:

Marvellous photos brings back many fond memories.
Photo at Piccadilly
Younger drivers would not believe heavy loads were transported through Manchester centre. I learnt main routes and shortcuts through driving Bread vans early 1960s. Found memories of Lewis’s department store Piccadilly shopping 1950 and delivering bread early 1960s, I remember Lewis’s had quite a few Scammell scarabs then Ford Custom cabs based at their furniture warehouse close to Urmston Town centre. I had a BSA A10 Goldflash motor bike in the early 1960s but that cannot be me as the rider in photo was wearing a helmet. Not certain but is the box van at the rear a British Rail van. Looking at the Commer Karrier and the wagon and drag look well sheeted up and sure drivers then had time and pride in their job.
Ardwick roundabout.
DCL was based at Pollard street and while working for Smiths of Eccles Trafford park late 1960s they had had the contract for the fleet mainly TKs. DCL I believe owned their own tanker fleet and drivers. I worked out of DCL to cover holiday relief. The TKs delivered Cardice Carbon Dioxide Cylinders to Aero Space industry, Foundry’s and most important Breweries where the driver was given a pint on every delivery burp!
Hyde Road 1957.
Great photo of Lorry’s and great shot of scooter driver rubbernecking behind the first motor. Just praised the previous vehicles sheeting but the lorry at the Zebra crossing needs some improvement. I expect the load is loose cardboard held down with a sheet. Notice Belle View Booking office. Other side of road is Belle View and the rail goods yard near Kirmanshulme that later became Freightliners terminal.
Alec Road 1965
Noticed Prices breadvan delivering to prices shop. I recal they had many Thames 4D motors. I know they had a bakery at Ardwick and Droylsden but think they had merged with bought out Greggs at Droylsden. Demezas shop other side of road was when I got married we bought our curtains from. Duncan and Fosters bread and Cake shop same side. Duncan and Fosters had large vans Thames 4Ds then changed fleet to Ford Custom Cabs after buying out Robinsons cakes.
Beaties Bennet Street.
Maybe John Stansfield will know better but did Beaties do a lot of coal coke work out of Bradford Manchester Gas Works. Not sure but did Evers Brothers buy Beaties out late 1960s.
Tescos Commer at Northenden 1966.
Delivered to that Tescos shop many times.
Was the Tescos Commer from Middlewich distribution depot? I have driven many Commer Karriers but never the bigger vehicles. I remember driving over Shap at night in my state of the art AEC Mandata and a Commer 2 Stroke must have passed me at 100 mph uphill with flames gushing out of the exhaust.
Milk cart at Lees Oldham.
Dave Docwra. Two Ton Ted of Teddington in his breadvan had gone for his Bun and run poor Ernie off the road, but No use crying over splilt milk. Looks like the police lady is ready to take the Golden Wonder Crisps as evidence maybe end up in the station canteen.
Them were the days when milk carts were loaded to the roof. Gone are the days when you can spot a milk cart and cows in the field.
Regards Kev and thanks for the memories.

Thanks for the brilliant detailed comments Kev you certainly know your stuff. :smiley:

Talking of Belle View how about this shot taken in 1946 showing the queues to get in at the Hyde Road entrance.

Also you mentioned Prices bread van here’s one about to make a right turn on to East Road off Stockport Road Longsight in 1965.

Thank you so much for these Manchester photos. They bring back so many happy memories of all the miles I did delivering in that area throughout the 60s.
I wonder if the Prices van let the Ford van out ? :wink:

Regards John.

old 67:
Thank you so much for these Manchester photos. They bring back so many happy memories of all the miles I did delivering in that area throughout the 60s.
I wonder if the Prices van let the Ford van out ? :wink: Regards John.

Thanks for your comments John.
I would imagine he had to let him out as he would not get round the corner. :smiley:

Have a few more to add over the coming week. :wink:

Thanks to moomooland Stansfield and gingerfold for info on Lorries in Manchester including Bradford pit and Gas works photos taking me back to the good old days.
Does anybody remember Constantine Lloyd think it was off Ashton new road or Oldham road. About 1971 I remember moving crated oversized machine on a 32 tonner 40 footer ERF A series Smiths of Eccles unit. Load to be stored at AV Grutchleys warehouse awaiting transit abroad. The load was high and had an overhang on all sides and rear and I had police ■■■■■■ but on arrival to Grutchleys I noticed half a tree branch and what looked like telephone wires on top of the load. One of Grutchleys warehouse men cut the tree branch up for his fire and filled up a small van? I cannot think where branch came form as I travelled Salford Irlam o the Heights East Lancs Road.
Cheers Kev

kevmorrow:
Thanks to moomooland Stansfield and gingerfold for info on Lorries in Manchester including Bradford pit and Gas works photos taking me back to the good old days.
Does anybody remember Constantine Lloyd think it was off Ashton new road or Oldham road. About 1971 I remember moving crated oversized machine on a 32 tonner 40 footer ERF A series Smiths of Eccles unit. Load to be stored at AV Grutchleys warehouse awaiting transit abroad. The load was high and had an overhang on all sides and rear and I had police ■■■■■■ but on arrival to Grutchleys I noticed half a tree branch and what looked like telephone wires on top of the load. One of Grutchleys warehouse men cut the tree branch up for his fire and filled up a small van? I cannot think where branch came form as I travelled Salford Irlam o the Heights East Lancs Road.
Cheers Kev

Yes Kev,I remember Lloyds,they used to fabricate timber crates for machinery,their property was off Oldham Road IIRC,Newton Heath area,not far from the Rochdale Canal.

David

5thwheel:

kevmorrow:
Cheers Kev

Yes Kev,I remember Lloyds,they used to fabricate timber crates for machinery,their property was off Oldham Road IIRC,Newton Heath area,not far from the Rochdale Canal.

David

Hiya,
Didn’t Constantine Lloyd receive the export orders “unwrapped” and
build the packing case around whatever it was, usually odd shaped
lumps that needed “routeing” with a police ■■■■■■ I seem to recall
when on for Jos Walsh taking a lump on a lowloader into the place
to get boxed up I remember it was quite a hefty piece and they had
the lifting gear to unload it it originated in Bolton a rare nice steady
day job I didn’t get the job of taking it from C Ls to Hull I’m thinking.