Northwest Trucks

dafdave:
Sorry mr gardner looking at wrong picture.Put it down to owd age :unamused: :unamused:

No apologies necessary Dave - happens to us all :cry:

Bit of a History lesson.
My mother came over with her brother from Co Leitrim Ireland at the start of WW2 1939. She worked in the day at Brylcreem Stanmore and her brother carted out of the Brylcreem factory for a local haulage company at Collindale area, To help the war effort most evenings my mother worked on munitions near by. 1935 my dad moved from a village close to where my mother lived in Ireland and moved to Manchester. They kept in touch and got married after the war. My dad worked on haulage for a few years and used to bring home crates of Lucozade from factory near Bolton.
but later years got a van job with FALKS Manchester.

kevmorrow:
Bit of a History lesson.
My mother came over with her brother from Co Leitrim Ireland at the start of WW2 1939. She worked in the day at Brylcreem Stanmore and her brother carted out of the Brylcreem factory for a local haulage company at Collindale area, To help the war effort most evenings my mother worked on munitions near by. 1935 my dad moved from a village close to where my mother lived in Ireland and moved to Manchester. They kept in touch and got married after the war. My dad worked on haulage for a few years and used to bring home crates of Lucozade from factory near Bolton.

Nice memorabilia to have, Kev, thanks for sharing

kevmorrow:
Bit of a History lesson.

Driving must be in our DNA. My dad’s side of the family worked and lived on Killygar estate Co Leitrim Ireland for Lord killbracken (Godley. My grandfathers job (Grimes Morrow) was Steward Gardener and moved food products grown on the estate to local stores. His brother Robert Morrow was a horse coach driver and drove politician William Ewart Gladstone while visiting Baron and Lord Kilbracken (Godleys). My dad born 1898 Robert Charles Edmund Morrow born on the Kilbracken estate at Kilishandra Cavan was chauffer handyman in the early 1920s and moved to the UK 1935 after his wife died later married my mum. My uncle Bill a little bit older than my dad was a driver on the estate. He moved to Manchester and married and was a lorry driver delivering potatoes for a Stretford farm until moving to Goole 1946. He joined the army 1914 to 1918 his job was driving. 1939 my dad home guard was a lorry driver Stretford area and moonlit evenings would drive a tipper full of soot and the home guard would disperse it on the Manchester ship and Bridgewater canals so German bombers were unable to find their bearings. Giving more chance to shoot them down in circuit. My eldest brother Johnston Morrow born 1923 was an electrician and also drove tippers full of soot, he joined the Royal Marines 1940. I started as a Saturday vanboy with Mothers Pride Bread 1962 then fulltime van lad after leaving school to driver then 1972 HGV 1 until retiring.
carrigallen.com/killegar.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Godl … Kilbracken
theirishaesthete.com/2014/06/23/on-the-brink/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Godley
This may be of interest to a few. One of the Godley Kilbracken family living at Killegar house was Anna and her cousin was General Sir Alexander Godley who started the ANZAC Corps.

moomooland:
0Urgewain Motors of Morecambe.

Where does the unusual name Urgewain come from ?.

Just a Ltd company name Roger Firth bought

Greenbooth Construction Ltd Chadderton Oldham

J.T. Blackwell & Son Bolton.

moomooland:
0J.T. Blackwell & Son Bolton.

That’s a blast from the past, Blackwell was a small operator running maybe five or six lorries. He did most of his work out of Belmont paper mill. That looks like a load from Markland Scowcroft at Bromley Cross.

gingerfold:

moomooland:

That’s a blast from the past, Blackwell was a small operator running maybe five or six lorries. He did most of his work out of Belmont paper mill. That looks like a load from Markland Scowcroft at Bromley Cross.

I loaded pipe work and valves out of Markland Scowcroft’s early 1970s for Ireland. Memory playing tricks? were their tractors units Leyland’s or Dodges and colour blue.
Down memory lane thinking about recent Beechams Lucazade post and companies around the Swinton Bolton areas.
Remember other firms long gone.
Hot bitumen tankers at Swinton area. Hipwood and Grundy.
Burtons Suit factories warehouse same area.
I loaded many times at Magnesium Electron Clifton Junction changed name to Exide Chloride.
Edbrow tipper bodies Little Lever.
Regards Kev

kevmorrow:
Hipwood and Grundy Regards Kev

Here’s one of their Leyland Octopus tankers pictured of the fuel island at Hipwood & Grundy’s depot at Farnworth.

Heres another one of Hipwood & Grundy (notice Edmonton on the door) Commer

Jenkinson’s DAF,from Salford.

kevmorrow:

gingerfold:

moomooland:

I loaded pipe work and valves out of Markland Scowcroft’s early 1970s for Ireland. Memory playing tricks? were their tractors units Leyland’s or Dodges and colour blue.
Down memory lane thinking about recent Beechams Lucazade post and companies around the Swinton Bolton areas.
I loaded many times at Magnesium Electron Clifton Junction changed name to Exide Chloride.
Regards Kev

Markland Scowcroft’s own fleet did finish up painted blue, IIRC they were originally red. They always had lightweight / medium weight lorries such as LAD Leyland Comets, S-type and TK bedfords.

If I can correct you Kev, Magnesium Electron (still there) and Exide, although neighbouring factories, were totally different companies. Exide was the famous battery manufacturer, Magnesium Electron as the name implies was an extractor of magnesium by what in its day was a revolutionary electrolysis process, invented by an Austrian (maybe Swiss) who set up here in the first part of the last century. During WW2 both factories were of vital strategic importance; Exide made submarine batteries as well as every type and size of other lead-acid batteries, the cases for all types were made at Lorival at Little Lever. My mother worked in the submarine battery part of Lorival during WW2. Magnesium Electron was vital for its magnesium metal, alloys of which were used in aircraft frames for lightness, and it also also made magnesium based chemicals that were used in star shells, incendiary bombs, and flares dropped by the RAF Pathfinder squadrons. Both factories were heavily defended by barrage balloons and Anti-Aircraft guns.

moomooland:

A great picture of the J.T. Blackwell AEC. Its almost certain that the load of steel tubes would be
from Markland Scowcroft at Bromley Cross, Bolton. “Marklands” became a T.I. Company (Tube Investments),
as did England Tubes at Higher Ince, Wigan. I worked for “Englands” from 1974 until 1978, after which I started
my own small transport operation. During that time, both companies merged to become T.I.Markland + England,
soon after, the “England” name was dropped, and the company became T.I.Markland. Several of the Markland
lorries were transferred to Wigan, including 2 Atkinson Borderers with Gardner 8XLB engines, several Ford D Series
artics with Scammell hitch, also 3 fairly new Leyland Chieftain artic units at 20 tons G.V.W. with York “Big D” hitch.
Ex Markland drivers that I remember are Charlie Haslam, Jimmy Russell, Phil Carter, Ray Cartledge, Ron Goulding.
Another drivers name has just come to mind…Peter Scobbie.
The main subcontractor at the Wigan site was Thomas Harwood of Bolton, I knew Tom Harwood well.
I keep hoping that some England Tubes and Markland Scowcroft lorry pictures will appear on Trucknet. Ray Smyth.

TI Logo.png

gingerfold:

kevmorrow:

gingerfold:

moomooland:

Regards Kev

Markland Scowcroft’s own fleet did finish up painted blue, IIRC they were originally red. They always had lightweight / medium weight lorries such as LAD Leyland Comets, S-type and TK bedfords.

If I can correct you Kev, Magnesium Electron (still there) and Exide, although neighbouring factories, were totally different companies. Exide was the famous battery manufacturer, Magnesium Electron as the name implies was an extractor of magnesium by what in its day was a revolutionary electrolysis process, invented by an Austrian (maybe Swiss) who set up here in the first part of the last century. During WW2 both factories were of vital strategic importance; Exide made submarine batteries as well as every type and size of other lead-acid batteries, the cases for all types were made at Lorival at Little Lever. My mother worked in the submarine battery part of Lorival during WW2. Magnesium Electron was vital for its magnesium metal, alloys of which were used in aircraft frames for lightness, and it also also made magnesium based chemicals that were used in star shells, incendiary bombs, and flares dropped by the RAF Pathfinder squadrons. Both factories were heavily defended by barrage balloons and Anti-Aircraft guns.

Thanks for the info. Early 1960s I used to call at Mag Electron canteen and their social club Monday to Saturdays delivering Mothers Pride Bread. I would stop and have a subsidised mid day meal. It would have been about 1974 I worked for MAT transport MIFT and loaded up many times at Mag Electron. The MAT F86 was leased of Salford Van Hire, photo taken at my house at Flixton awaiting for my wife to clean the inside of my cab.
I was just researching Salford area and noticed in the Manchester Evening News story “Vinegar Vera died 2015”.

JS68640280[1].jpg

MAT2.jpg

Greenline Carriers Ltd of Greenbrook Road Lowerhouse Burnley.

Harris Road Services Manchester

Lancashire Steel Manufacturing Company Ltd Irlam

This Leyland Super Comet 4x2 tractor unit Reg No JLG 49G, was one of twenty six introduced into to the fleet
of Burmah Oil Trading Ltd of Ellesmere Port Cheshire in 1968.
Pictured coupled to a 3,500 gallon single axle tanker, manufactured by Universal Bulk Handling Equipment Ltd of Burscough,
it was used to deliver gas oil and Kerosene over a wide area of Lancashire and Cheshire.
Specification of the tractor unit included the British Leyland 401 six cylinder 6.54 litre engine, nine speed close ratio gearbox
along with the tilt version of the Egromatic cab.