Northwest Trucks

Thanks for the interesting comments above Chris.

Talking of Bowker’s here’s another from the archives courtesy of former Bowker’s of Blackburn driver the late Peter Davison.

thumbnail_052 I-001.jpg

moomooland:
[attachment=0]Spar Depot Middleton-001.JPG[/attachment]Finally found out who the firm was who did the Spar distribution out of Townkey Street in Middleton.

It was Wright and Green Ltd, anyone remember them?

They closed in the early 80’s’ At the time I worked with an ex-Ancliff’s driver from Middleton who had a relative who did the wages, she told him drivers were on good money in comparison to us and we were well paid for what we did at PDM (now called Saria). That yard looks a bit short on space though.

kevmorrow
LHD (Lancashire Hygenic Dairies) were off Derby Street Cheetham Hill just behind Strangeways Prison. I did a day & half there around 1976 in the garage it was cr-p, went from there to Townson Tankers/Sadler in Oldham and stayed there for 25 yrs.

Buckley Tankers depot Warrington.

Stanfield:
kevmorrow
LHD (Lancashire Hygenic Dairies) were off Derby Street Cheetham Hill just behind Strangeways Prison. I did a day & half there around 1976 in the garage it was cr-p, went from there to Townson Tankers/Sadler in Oldham and stayed there for 25 yrs.

Hi John
I remmember LHD had 2 large electric ex Mothers Pride bread vans. 1965 One came out of Lewis’s department store and blocked off Piccadilly. I think the drive had ceased up the tow truck had ripped the cab off. I remember the police were trying to clear the area but most of the load vanished with shoppers filling their bags up.

I worked for Brookes Mothers Pride Old Trafford most of the 1960s. The bread industry was suffering and I started with an Irish Haulage Company. Many of the drivers early 1970s went to LHD when it moved to think Swinton area. A few others went to CPC Corn products Smith and Robinsons. Later I moved to MAT transport After Humko I started at Smith and Robinsons. I am sure I had seen you many times at Humko Westinghouse Road (Townsons).
Regards Kev

I’ve just come across this nice period photo of a Bolton-based Atki on Flickr:

translode atki black knight by norman finnimore, on Flickr

From the Atkinson house magazine:

Atkinson Leader TRS3666C by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

Urgewain Motors of Morecambe.

240 Gardner:

Does that name on the cab read as J. Peters & Son Ltd, it’s not a Bolton haulier that I recognise from that era.

gingerfold:

240 Gardner:

Does that name on the cab read as J. Peters & Son Ltd, it’s not a Bolton haulier that I recognise from that era.

I can’t quite make it out, Graham. At first, I thought it was Parker’s, but I don’ think that’s actually what it says.

It seems to have a RR engine too, which was a bit left field at that time in an Atki

Mmmm…bit of a puzzle this one Chris. It has a Bolton registration from 1967 and I cannot remember many Atkis with Bolton hauliers in those years, apart from Stanley Smith, (Bolton Transport & Trading) but he was a Gardner man, and it’s too new for Stanley. Parker’s were mainly AEC in those years. It looks like it could have been new to Lucozade at Little Hulton.

gingerfold:
Mmmm…bit of a puzzle this one Chris. It has a Bolton registration from 1967 and I cannot remember many Atkis with Bolton hauliers in those years, apart from Stanley Smith, (Bolton Transport & Trading) but he was a Gardner man, and it’s too new for Stanley. Parker’s were mainly AEC in those years. It looks like it could have been new to Lucozade at Little Hulton.

I’d imagined that a Lucozade motor have been procured and registered in London by Beechams HQ in Brentford, but perhaps not.

Were they running RR-engined motors at that time? I know they had some ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Mk.1 Atkis, as well as Gardners

Lucozade Atkinson by Graham Newell, on Flickr

LGK 398D by Terry, on Flickr

Actually, I just found a photo of a Rolls-engined Beecham’s Atki, although registered in Croydon:

240 Gardner:

gingerfold:

I’d imagined that a Lucozade motor have been procured and registered in London by Beechams HQ in Brentford, but perhaps not.

Were they running RR-engined motors at that time? I know they had some ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Mk.1 Atkis, as well as Gardners

Actually, I just found a photo of a Rolls-engined Beecham’s Atki, although registered in Croydon:

Yes, you’ve answered your own question. The Little Hulton Lucozade Atkis were RR powered, and as you say, quite a rarity at the time.

gingerfold:

240 Gardner:

gingerfold:

Has that one in the picture nott got a gardner in it?

Yes, you’ve answered your own question. The Little Hulton Lucozade Atkis were RR powered, and as you say, quite a rarity at the time.

dafdave:

Yes, but the colour photo of the tractor is a Rolls example - and 250 bhp was quite something for a 32T Atki at that time

dafdave:

gingerfold:

240 Gardner:

gingerfold:

Chris, Dave, and Graham, There is a good chance that Tommy Harwood could provide the name on the 1967 Bolton Reg Atkinson. Regards, Ray.

AEC Mandator Mk.V tractor unit Reg No 396 DUL operated by Shell Mex and BP Ltd.
It is pictured here parked on Radnor Street Hulme Manchester on the 23rd of August 1963.
Most of the area was completely cleared for wholesale redevelopment in the late 1960’s with an Asda store now located adjacent to this location.
Click on image for full size version.

Further to the above pictures of Beecham Group Atkinson lorries, in the early 1960s, a certain “ROBERT BAILLIE”
was a Senior Transport Consultant with the Beecham Group. His Transport Manager was Amos Phipps, (RIP).
The Fleet Engineer was Terry Walker. I vaguely remember Brentford and Croydon being mentioned.
About 1963, Mr Baillie did a Transport Consultancy for the Guernsey Tomato Marketing Board in connection
with the distribution of their tomatoes to Licensed Handlers in Wholesale Fruit & Vegetable Markets in England,
Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Soon after, Mr Baillie set up his own transport operation to do the Guernsey
distribution, taking with him Amos Phipps and Terry Walker to do their respective jobs. At that time, the tomatoes
were arriving at Shoreham By Sea in Sussex, and a depot was opened at Peacehaven. In the late 1960s, the tomatoes
began to arrive at Portsmouth, and the company moved to a new site in Portsmouth, and soon after moved to larger
premises at Horndean. Depots were established at Doncaster and Wigan to service the Northern Markets through a
night trunk and shunter operation. Terry Walker is seen here, (knelt down) in his National Service days with REME,
and later (wearing a tie) with Beecham lorries. Terry went blind about 20 years ago, and now resides at St Dunstans,
near Brighton, now known as Blind Veterans UK. Pictures are courtesy of Tim Walker, Terrys son, and Molly Phipps.
These pictures have been shown before on the Robert Baillie thread that I started in 2015.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Scan%201.jpg

Scan%203%20(2).jpg

Scan%2012.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Further to the above pictures of Beecham Group Atkinson lorries, in the early 1960s, a certain “ROBERT BAILLIE”
was a Senior Transport Consultant with the Beecham Group. His Transport Manager was Amos Phipps, (RIP).
The Fleet Engineer was Terry Walker. I vaguely remember Brentford and Croydon being mentioned.
About 1963, Mr Baillie did a Transport Consultancy for the Guernsey Tomato Marketing Board in connection
with the distribution of their tomatoes to Licensed Handlers in Wholesale Fruit & Vegetable Markets in England,
Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Soon after, Mr Baillie set up his own transport operation to do the Guernsey
distribution, taking with him Amos Phipps and Terry Walker to do their respective jobs. At that time, the tomatoes
were arriving at Shoreham By Sea in Sussex, and a depot was opened at Peacehaven. In the late 1960s, the tomatoes
began to arrive at Portsmouth, and the company moved to a new site in Portsmouth, and soon after moved to larger
premises at Horndean. Depots were established at Doncaster and Wigan to service the Northern Markets through a
night trunk and shunter operation. Terry Walker is seen here, (knelt down) in his National Service days with REME,
and later (wearing a tie) with Beecham lorries. Terry went blind about 20 years ago, and now resides at St Dunstans,
near Brighton, now known as Blind Veterans UK. Pictures are courtesy of Tim Walker, Terrys son, and Molly Phipps.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Interesting connection, Ray, thank you

7014 MC, in your photos, later went into the fairgrounds, I think, as did its sister 7015. I spotted 7015 parked at Gossington Lorry Park in the late 90s, now reduced to a 6-legger, and took this photo:

7015 MC Atkinson by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

240 Gardner:

dafdave:

Yes, but the colour photo of the tractor is a Rolls example - and 250 bhp was quite something for a 32T Atki at that time

Sorry mr gardner looking at wrong picture.Put it down to owd age :unamused: :unamused: