Northern Irish Hauliers no longer with us

Glenman Hi, Trevor Cathers has a R620 saw it in Tesoro Doncaster , his son was driving it painted in the old colours with a G/A fridge . He also has 2 or3 white volvos I think with R.Burns.

transportphotos.com/road/photos (Bob Hobbs collection)
Are these still around.
Northern Ireland Trailers
CX00323.jpg
Montgomery Transport (I think these are )
CX00678.jpg

Now that Stranraers closed has any body been out of the new dock at the end of loch ryan on the new ferry n whats it like

just a thought , anyone ever take a photo o the scottish reg fsm391y white lhd magirus wagon an drag i drove for county van lines in the 80s .
no name on cab lol…
one o the other maggie drags was jet black wi a reg stripe.
ran back an forward at least twice a wk,stranraer & cairnryan.
i remember photos were in publicity shots for TT cairnryan.
jimmy.

adr:
Belfast Ferry, Sunday night!

Tommy Maxwell , still going strong, he ran a White RC IIRC

Tommy Snr is now living in France, Tommy Jnr is now the main man…

hi used to drive for noel zwecker ,killylea,armagh pure gentleman and great staff a pleasure to work for no problems no hassle

does anyone ever recall dukes running transcons :question: , im sure i remember seeing one ■■ :confused: :astonished:

my dad used to pull for thermo freight (jim rae) think they were blue and white livery we had a seddon atkinson and a volvo on for them at time,last i knew his son drove for birds, never did meet him in time i was crossing irish sea good lads to work with i remember an outfit jim peoples think he ended with ashop in stranrear

Used to run a White Road Commander and transcontinentals them cold in the hull, and I do not know what they like to see far away.

What about Boyle Transport of Newry

Slab Murphy:
What about Boyle Transport of Newry

We use to get Boyle Fridges in to us sometimes to load horrible smell inside them someone once said its because they carried a lot of Bacon in brine ■■ , not sure about that, also had Seaford in to load. Once loaded full trailer of Whiskey (Bells, VAT 69 etc,etc ) onto one of Monaghan Mushrooms for Belfast and it never got there that was the last we heard about it

Think you mean Boyd’s Transport out of Dungannon they hauled bacon as did Interland out of Antrim Alex Smith pulled for Boyd’s among other subbies from Stranraer.

Liverpool Docks i believe, could be a long wait driver.

You still waiting, hope you have brought some baggin for your lunch.

rward:
hi does anyone remember adriver on for mi murphy short ginger chap driving transcon name might be maurice about 1981 regards rowland

Yes I remember Maurice Pollock he was from Limavady and he came to murphys when I was there, he was last working to PJ O’Kane but he died a few years back from cancer.

rathlin gutted about morris he coulded been that old i met him on my first trip to south france coming back to ferry he cut me up overtaking like a nut case i thought ill give him a piece of my mind when i get to ferry then about 15 mins later cops had him next thing pulled in behind me i did not have a clue about paperwork he looked at it said you got problem wait for my mate and wweal get you through well i couldent believe my eyes he did it then he ■■■■■■ the customs of and said get on then he said coming for some food he then said its free iwas skint and starving when we landed dover he got cleared first shook my hand and gave me a tenner i said i might not see you again he said when you meet someone skint give it to him but i did meet him a couple times and he never took it back just shows wat bloke he was rip maurice top regards rowland

rward:
rathlin gutted about morris he coulded been that old i met him on my first trip to south france coming back to ferry he cut me up overtaking like a nut case i thought ill give him a piece of my mind when i get to ferry then about 15 mins later cops had him next thing pulled in behind me i did not have a clue about paperwork he looked at it said you got problem wait for my mate and wweal get you through well i couldent believe my eyes he did it then he ■■■■■■ the customs of and said get on then he said coming for some food he then said its free iwas skint and starving when we landed dover he got cleared first shook my hand and gave me a tenner i said i might not see you again he said when you meet someone skint give it to him but i did meet him a couple times and he never took it back just shows wat bloke he was rip maurice top regards rowland

Roland You would be right Maurice was in the early fiftys but cancer knows no bounds. He was a very excitable chap always worrying about getting to deliveries on time. He once did a run from Belfast to oran in algeria and back and a run from belfast to Manchester and back all in the same week. It was talked about around Murphys for months, and nobody else ever tried to match it.
Your story about him giving you a tenner dosen’t surprise me he did have a heart of corn and would never see anyone stuck
Regards
Rathlin

Maurice was a real live wire,his cb handel was motormouse. I used to drive for McMordie Transport from Antrim years ago pulling for
Interland Transport and we were both loading swinging beef in Kildare chillers. We were supposed to be loaded that afternoon and
back out over the top to be in Eastbourne the next morning. I went to bed for whatever sleep I could get till I was loaded and Maurice
said he had something to keep him awake which he took. Turned out the meat plant broke down and we didn;t get loaded till the next day. All I could hear all night was Motormouse walking around Murphys Transcon ■■■■■■ and blinding because he could not get to sleep.