Northern ireland

Evening guys, first run to NI on Monday, heading over on the 11.30 stena ferry from cairnryan, all being well back the same day.

Anything I need to be aware of/watch out for?

tommyboy1289:
Evening guys, first run to NI on Monday, heading over on the 11.30 stena ferry from cairnryan, all being well back the same day.

Anything I need to be aware of/watch out for?

just remember and turn your clock back 30 years when you come off the ferry,if its the hss and you hear them asking for the red crew,that just means that at least 1 of the engines has went on fire…virtually no speed cameras,virtually no traffic light cameras.best remove anything english /union flag etc from your dash depending on where your tipping,and do not,ever ever ever refer to anyone in northern ireland as irish.lots dont care,but lots do…its a doddle over here. :smiley:

lol DD999 he might want to have his picture taken in front o some the murals :smiley: cough cough walking away …

JIMBO47:
lol DD999 he might want to have his picture taken in front o some the murals :smiley: cough cough walking away …

sure it would help pass the time for him when he s waiting for the fire brigade to arrive… :slight_smile:
though the hard part will making the 75 without a ticket,or his elbow taken off…
ps…either run with a group of trucks on the 75 and try and keep up,or doddle on about 45 max…youl prob get flashed by the others anyway as theres still a bit of cameradrie on that stretch,but its not a truck friendly stretch of road.and if paddy wants past,best to make it easy for him…best to be there 20 mins or so before the boat leaves to be sure,but if n doubt,flat to the mat if you can make it with 5 min to spare,you will quite often scrape on last min. :smiley:

bs trd got to clean my keyboard now!!

JIMBO47:

a english magician was apperaing one night out in stroke city,he shouts out,hello and goodevening everyone…WELCOME TO LONDONDERRY… now to start off ,could i have a voulenteer from the audience?..deady silence till a voice from the back says…dont worry mate,there will be a couple waiting outside for you… :smiley:

you can imagine the scenario,oops,westlink blocked…satnav and map confirms theres a handy road as a detour…whats it called now,falls road,looks good,and itl take me well past the blockage then i can headback onto the m1 again.sorted,…dd999 was right,its a doddle over here…tum te tum,diddle de deee.sofar so good…plus look at all the local curltural graffetti…think of the money im saving as im seeing all this for free instead of paying the tour bus…whats this ahead…a burning car??..this crowd look a bit peeved about something…opens window and leans out…i say chaps,can you move that car?..sits for 30 seconds trying to work out the indeciperable replies…ok chaps,cant understand a word of that,can any of you speak english■■?,bedlambedlambedlam…come on now chaps,your blocking the queens highway…!!!. bedlambedlambedlam,bricks,bottles,flames,smell of burning truck plus 1 predictable thashing later,…you can work out the rest,but at least he would not have long to wait as the royals just down the road and the ambulance would be there in 5 mins…the psni would just send a water cannon truck and save the fire brigade getting bricked. :open_mouth:

this might explain it better, youtube.com/watch?v=vc34JKvCQ3Q

so whats the craic then tommyboy…still looking forward to your 1st trip to the land that time forgot with eager anticipation?? :smiley:

Remove any Hibernian fc badges hanging from your mirror , don’t make the same mistake I did :blush:

Victa1:
Remove any Hibernian fc badges hanging from your mirror , don’t make the same mistake I did :blush:

oops.you would as well just have hung up an ira flag… :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
so whats the craic then tommyboy…still looking forward to your 1st trip to the land that time forgot with eager anticipation?? :smiley:

Lol not exactly full of confidence, got 2 cars to collect one in Belfast can’t remember where second one is, hope it’s not too far away

You’ll be okay, it’s not the war zone people think

dieseldog999:
and do not,ever ever ever refer to anyone in northern ireland as irish.lots dont care,but lots do…its a doddle over here. :smiley:

What would be the correct method of address?

Good wind up post this is :smiley:

Just take your time up the A75 and you will be fine. I ran to NI for quite a few years and I have never ever encountered any kind of trouble. In fact the people of NI are great and very friendly. Enjoy your trip and the scenery!

robinhood_1984:

dieseldog999:
and do not,ever ever ever refer to anyone in northern ireland as irish.lots dont care,but lots do…its a doddle over here. :smiley:

What would be the correct method of address?

it all depnds on who your talking to…if their catholic,then their irish…no messing,just always irish their logic behind that is i think that they dont accept that n.i is part of the united kingdom,hence british,same as scotland and wales and still consider it as ireland…if you ask a prod who dosent care,then you may get irish,or northern irish,theres some…checkout the ali g clip who say their british,then theres some who say their scots irish,and some who say their ulstermen…just a can of worms really and depends on the political perspective of who your asking.e although being british,then theres always bad feeling against the cops,army,etc with the predictable rioting at every excuse. if you go abroad to spain/tenerife ect,then if you go into an irish bar,itl not have prods from northern ireland in it apart from the occaisional one that isnt biased as itl be deemed an irish/republican/catholic pub…any prod from northern ireland will go to the nearest rangers bar. sad but true…there kinda rebels without a clue now. until recent years itwas safe to call yourelf jewish,that way you only needed to worry about an arab coming up to shoot you…im scottish having lived here for a good few years,and theres never a definitive answer as to what to correctly call someone indiginously born to northern ireland…to me id say they were northern irish as thats where they were born,but always a subject best left alone. hence derry/ londonderry…itl never change here with both sides nose to nose and bringing up their kids the same way.though its calmed down a decent bit in recent years,you just dont want to walk or drive into the wrong area. its still definately better living over here than in mainland uk though…completely different world.:smiley:

I wouldn’t worry, as a nipper in the late 80’s I used to go over there regularly with my father delivering to plumbers and builders merchants in some of the less salubrious areas. We were in an English registered truck with newcastle upon Tyne clearly sign written and we only ever had one bit of bother which was a bit of verbal and the bloke who was kicking off was told by his colleague that he was going to give him a clip if he didn’t pipe down. All the folk we encountered seemed spot on, I used to love it over there.

dieseldog999:

JIMBO47:

a english magician was apperaing one night out in stroke city,he shouts out,hello and goodevening everyone…WELCOME TO LONDONDERRY… now to start off ,could i have a voulenteer from the audience?..deady silence till a voice from the back says…dont worry mate,there will be a couple waiting outside for you… :smiley:

yup and this is a very good thing to remember!! I remember when I first started running over early 80s this information was given to me as well as a list o no go ever areas. I recall someone calling it Londonderry on a ferry once and the bollocking he got from another driver.

My dad and the crew of his ship once got in to a spot of bother in Dundalk. He being German and not having lived in and moved to England by that point wasn’t familiar with the issues regarding Northern Ireland so one day back in the late 60s they approached and moored in Dundalk and the dockers refused to set foot aboard the ship. It later transpired that they didn’t approve of the red ensign flying as the courtesy flag as the crew had mistakenly thought Dundalk to be on the Northern Ireland side of the border. As a German ship there were no hard feelings once the correct flag had being hoisted instead.

I used to deliver to the Caffreys brewery on Falls Rd, never had any bother at all.

Mind you who blows up a beer lorry [emoji38]

I’m born and bred in Northern Ireland and to be honest I’ve been more worried in some places in England. Birmingham and London scared the life outta me. Northern Irish people are some of the friendliest people you’ll meet, but as like every place everywhere there are stupid, ignorant, arrogant people who let the rest of us down. Enjoy stepping back in time and have a good trip.