Northern Cyprus

Hey y’all… :wink:

I need some advice as to taking a load of hazardous from UK to Northern Cyprus.
I have been told that I can’t transit from Greece into Turkish territory.
Very unsure of what the plan is up to now - but I ship with it next Sunday.
Anyone know any SAFE parking along route - what route to take - ferry contacts from Turkey to Cyprus etc…

All help gratefully appreciated.

Ian. :smiley:

sorry but without knowing where you can transit and therefore ferry routes, timings and costs how can you have costed this job ian? :confused:

ianny which way are you thinking of and also who is going to pay for the ferrys, what type of hazerdous is it as the rules for the sea are different
and you come under IMDG RULES AS WELL ; have found a few sites will post as soon as the list is finished.

Check the details for yourself Ian, as Greece hasn’t objected to the proposal for Turkey joining the EU then the transit rules might have relaxed somewhat compared to what you have been told.

I remember when we could go over the Kyrenia mountains to get to the north coast but the Greek Cypriots had to go the long way round…mind you, the next ferry brought the Turkish army in :wink:

Jules

ianny, have a look here at these two sites as they seem the best of the one s i have looked at also have added a site with many options on it click on the ferry point.

http://www.salamis-lines.com

here is the site with many good places on it ,many of them do change the language to english as well,

trans-top.com/transport_de/start.htm

The hazardous carried will be class 1.4s.
If I can’t get a direct ferry from Italy to Turkey, I’ll have to go through Romania and Hungary into Northen Turkey, then get a local boat to Cyprus.
Journey will be under closed TIR Carnet.

what about italy-greece and then greece–cyprus that is one route that might be better for you, which way are you going to go through AUSTRIA
via the BRENNER; OR what about useing the TRAIN if you are 4.00
high exactly as the service is quick and you get your rest on the train, you should do CALAIS --LUXEMBERG-- FREIBURG in 10hrs and can then get ona train which takes you into ITALY; NOVERA WHICH IS 30MINS FROM
Milan, and with a clean disk and you should then be able to get to the docks
if there are no big holdups, DO NOT FOR GET THAT YOU NEED TREMCARDS for every country you pass through, and do you have the complete PPE for you and the load, lorry,

if you are choseing the train one route from the docks–JABBKE–GENT
BRUSSELS–NAMUR–LUXEMBERG–REMICH(D) SARRBRUCKEN
PIRMASENS–LANDAU–KARLSRUHE–FREIBURG;

I should have thought carrying explosives to Cyprus North or South is bound to create its own problems :stuck_out_tongue:

The tunnels are not going to want you, the Brenner has its own special regulations and will limit the amount you can carry.

Good Luck :open_mouth:

ianyng, you will only be allowed on certain ferrys with the load and my bet is either DART-lines at DARTFORD . or the RAMSGATE ferrys as these are cleared for this sort of load, and that also means you will only allowed to travel with certain ships from ITALY or GREECE as well, what are you carrying blackpowder,or something stronger,as that makes a difference on the rules of the road, like in germany we have to double man with blackpowder,and any thing stronger,in Germany,

Think there used to be a ferry service from Brindisi to somewhere in Turkey, dont know if you would be allowed to take hazardous on it though!! Its more of a tourist boat than freight.

Good luck with the trip though if it comes off, dont forget your camera for the diary :smiley: :smiley:

Bullitt.

1.4s is actually exempt from ADR on the road.
The only regulations that exist are that the driver must have recieved the appropriate training.
All my drivers - myself included - are class 1 trained.
The only rules that cause a porblem are the IMDG regs.
1.4s is hazardous on the sea.
This means the tunnels on route won’t be a problem, but the ferries are proving otherwise.
Getting out of UK, we’ll probably be using Transmarche Ferries out of Newhaven to Dieppe.
No doubt about it - I will be taking my camera and laptop to document this run. :smiley:
It will be sort of a regular run for us.

Ian.

ianyng:
The only regulations that exist are that the driver must have recieved the appropriate training.
This means the tunnels on route won’t be a problem, but the ferries are proving otherwise.
Getting out of UK, we’ll probably be using Transmarche Ferries out of Newhaven to Dieppe.
No doubt about it - I will be taking my camera and laptop to document this run. :smiley:

Ian.

I can see trouble ahead with this one :astonished: . Whilst you might be right in that class 1.4s isn’t actually as volatile as normal explosives, the fact is that the simplistic people who run the ferries, trains and tunnels aren’t going to give a ■■■■ about the small print, they’re going to like and see ‘class 1 = explosives’ - YOU AIN’T COMING ON MY BOAT/TRAIN/TUNNEL WITH THEM PAL! :open_mouth: Especially with the language barrier too I reckon you’re going to have a really hard time on your hands and you’ll come back from it saying NEVER AGAIN!

We’ll see… :stuck_out_tongue:

class 1.4… 1.4 Substances and articles which present no significant hazard

it will intresting to hear how you got on even though it "presents no significant hazard " when people see the orange plates if that itself presents problems.

ianyng:

Ian.

Ian you may like to consider having a rethink :

Driver of lorry successfully prosecuted for not declaring dangerous goods.

At a hearing at Folkestone Magistrates Court yesterday 10 September
2003, the driver of a lorry and trailer pleaded guilty to not
declaring Dangerous Goods when being carried on a cross channel
passenger ferry.
Mr Jovica Djurdjevic, a 45 year old Yugoslavian National living in
Vienna, was fined £1,500 plus £974 in costs for not declaring
Dangerous Goods whilst aboard a passenger ferry, bound for Dover on 9
September 2003.
On the morning of 9 September 2003, Mr Djurdjevic sailed on a
passenger ferry from Calais to Dover, which had onboard 114
passengers and crew. While undergoing a routine inspection at the HM
Immigration Service scanner it was found that the vehicle was
carrying 18,690 gas generators for use in the manufacturer of air
bags for cars. They are Class 1.4S Dangerous Goods. Class 1.4S are
included in the classification covering explosives. The load had a
total net explosive quantity of 16.83kg.
The Port of Dover Police and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency were
informed. When questioned later that day at Dover Police station, Mr
Djurdjevic stated that he had informed the ferry company that he was
carrying ADR European Road Transport Regulations but not dangerous
goods. Following this interview Mr Djurdjevic was charged with
failing to declare dangerous goods.
In their summing up the Magistrates stated that the act of bringing
onboard a cargo of this type had been irresponsible. Irresponsible in
that Mr Djurdjevic had not notified the operator of his hazardous
load, as required. The consequences Mr Djurdjevic would have been
aware of from his training.
Captain Eric Meare, Marine Surveyor at the Dover Marine Office of the
MCA, stated:
"This incident highlights the much repeated message to all drivers to
check their loads and report all dangerous goods to ferry operators
when checking in".

Rob I agree with you some how ,ianyng you should do some quick investigation, if this product is fireworks,it is CLASSSED as adr-ggvs IN
EUROPE MATE AND YOU WILL FIND THAT ONLY CERTAIN FERRYS CAN CARRY YOU; AND AS I SAID these ARE PURE FREIGHT FERRYS;
AND OF A SPECIAL CLASS FOR imdg-adr–ggvs-- goods,

AND as you said ROB non or falsche declaration will be bring heavy and strong reactions,both on the sea and on the road, sorry if you need a dangerous goods advisor give me a pm as i have a friend who has this qualification,and you will need to have one ,

ianyng you will need a IMDG DANGEROUS GOODS NOTE;TREMCARDS;
ALL ROUND SHIELDS; LASHINGPOINTSON THE TRAILER;AND THE REQUIRED PPE KIT plus you reqiure all the other items,as per adr/ggvs
and ianyng the fines are large for non complience,plus you will be held up untilevery point is fullfilled that the enforcement officers wish you to carry out,

Class 1.4s is (although ■■■■ dangerous) does not come under ADR regs.

No orange plates are required whilst transporting 1.4s.

Not classed as ADR = no problems with tunnels.

1.4s can be carried Newhaven - Dieppe ferry.

I am well aware of ADR regulations gentlemen, and I can assure you - I am correct.

How many of you lot know how to legally get ADR through the Gottard Tunnel in Switzerland (with orange boards on)?
I do.

I do know what I’m doing, as I’ve been doing hazardous for a long time.

The original question on the top of this thread was for the route only.

ianyng some of us are not completely ignorant and you apply for a permit
for the movement of dangerous goods by the responsible dept and you get it if they agree ,try the tunnel and canton for your permit,

I take adr-ggvs through the götthard to ITALY andback to germany,
for my firm thank you,

if you are going the way you have given it will take you longer than by useing the shorterchannel crossings, and increase your costs,some what, i,d thought,

i’d be the first to admit i’m out of touch on ADR and IMDG these days but i still can’t understand how you’ve costed the trip without knowing the route or even possible routes? oh and try telling the rumos that it isn’t ADR if you go that way, they’ll think its christmas and birthday come together :smiley:

brit pete - nothing was aimed at you at all.
I just got the feeling that certain folks seemed to think I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing.

Anyway, back to the origianal question.

I’m gonna have to drive the long way to the Turkish coast through Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria.
These are countries that I personally haven’t done before.
Any suggestion to a good route and some secure truckstops/parking areas?
I know Northern Turkey can be a bit dodgy too - so any help there would be good as well.

Got the UK to Europe bit covered all the way to Austria.
Thats when it starts to get fun… :smiley:

I know I could go through Yugo, but they don’t like ADR going through the tunnel from Austria to Slovenia, so best avoid an argument there.

I load this on Friday - ship Sunday.
Get your thinking heads on.

jj72:
i’d be the first to admit i’m out of touch on ADR and IMDG these days but i still can’t understand how you’ve costed the trip without knowing the route or even possible routes? oh and try telling the rumos that it isn’t ADR if you go that way, they’ll think its christmas and birthday come together :smiley:

jj - I’ve tried loads of ferry and freighter companies.
I’m either going the wrong way for them, or they’re not willing to take it.
I can get 2 companies to ship me from Italy to Greece, but the RHA has told me this week that I won’t get over the border into Nothern Cyprus - so I’ve given up on that route.
I know exactly what the job will pay - I’m happy.
Backload from Istanbul.
Apple tea anybody?? :laughing:

When I worked for JSL years ago, we used to take ADR to Split nearly every trip.
The number of times I’ve run through Austria and Slovinia - having to keep stopping to fold my orange board away… happy days. :wink: