Northbound A1 Speed cameras

I was travelling nothbound on the A1 yesterday on my Rover and I fear I have been flashed by a camera.

I was passing a large Scania at the time and was looking in my mirrors to pull in front of him when I noticed a flash. The next thing I know I pass a national speed limit sign which indicates a speed limit was in force on that stretch.

There was no sign of roadworks or anything that would need to have a restriction in force so it seems i was caught out and i’m scared I may get points on my licence. I was doing 70mph at the time i 've been driving cars for six years so i’m really annoyed. I’m supposed to be starting my HGV training this year.

Can points on the licence severly restrict employment because i’m wondering whether to bother with the training now at all !!!

GMANSCAN

First thing where about were you at the time?. You just ay A1 northbound
Secondly; I have 3points on mine which I gained when they had just dropped in a Village that I go through about 6 times a day BUT just went back to the old limit & ping off it went. My employer has not said anything & I’ve had mine for 2years now. So go ahead & do it too it. Best of luck.

I think it was stretch just before Sherwood Forest but approx 15mins before you come across the single lane roadworks if that makes sense.

Cheers I’ll keep an eye on the post it may have been empty and i’ll do the training

GMANSCAN

Been a while since I went up the A1 not too sure on where you mean BUT if its between Markham Moor roundabout & the Worksop roundabout YES you have a 50mph section along by Elkesley, sorry

if it is between markham moor & worksop ,there are more than enough 50 mph warning signs ,so why were you doing 70 mph.

Yep, that will be Elkesley interchange. They’re set at 60mph (even though it’s a 50 limit) so you’ll have been nobbled doing 70. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, I’ve got 9 points (SP40 and IN10) and have had for nearly 3 years now and they’ve never caused me any problems work-wise.

You’re usually okay with driving offences on your licence as long as they’re not prefixed CD/DD/DR.

Wait two weeks first - that is how long the Police have to serve a Notice of Intended Prosecution on you. If you don’t receive it in this time you should be OK.

If you do receive one, don’t just stick your hands up though and say it was a fair cop. Ask to see any evidence against you - the Police have been known to be wrong on many occasions.

Do some research as there are some loopholes which exist and also try and research previous cases where people have escaped a conviction. (There are plenty about)

Ask to see the photogaphs - they are usually of very poor quality and won’t stand up in court.

A little bit of work might just keep your licence clean!

killsville:
Wait two weeks first - that is how long the Police have to serve a Notice of Intended Prosecution on you. If you don’t receive it in this time you should be OK.

Are you sure about that :question:

killsville:
If you do receive one, don’t just stick your hands up though and say it was a fair cop. Ask to see any evidence against you - the Police have been known to be wrong on many occasions.

He said he was doing 70 how the hell can the Police be wrong on this occasion■■?.

Gman just pay the fine and send it back with your licence and put this one down to experiance i have 6 points on mylicence for speeding and have NEVER had any trouble finding work.

Rob K:

killsville:

I have to be careful agreeing with Rob K :stuck_out_tongue:

The police have 2 weeks to issue NIP but they can have a furter 6 months to make enquiries which can be extended further to gain a conviction.

It makes the NIP and 14 day rule a waste of printing ink really :confused:

Rob K:

killsville:

I quote from the notes and FAQ’s supplied with an NIP from South Yorkshire Police:

Why hasn’t the notice been served within 14 days of the alleged offence?
You are probably not the recorded keeper of the vehicle. The law states that a Notice of Intended Prosecution must be served within 14 days on the keeper as recorded at DVLA .

OK, it is not always strictly 14 days but if he is the registered keeper then i suppose the 14 day rule does really apply.

The advice I gave in my post was from personal experience. I know several people who have successfully defended allegations of speeding just by doing a little bit of research.

Why would anyone on here want to protect or give avoidance advice to a driver doing 40% over the limit? Same percentage for a car on a an m/way would be a speed of 98mph. On a d/c, there are things like uncontrolled entry on/exit offs, turns across the carriageway, unrestricted traffic (tractors, cyclists etc).

The way I look at it, if the National is reduced, then there is usually a reason (hazard such as bendy road in this case?).

3pts won’t harm your prospects — but the circumstances suggest you need to work on awareness, planning and taking note of road signs! The old rule of 10% + 4mph would give you 59, anything above that is really not worth contesting.

Not that I’m agreeing with hero of the month or anything daft like that!

Spaceman i was not looking for avoidance advice whats so ever, I was just wondering if i was to get points, would it effect my ability to gain employment. Also I would like to know why temp 50mph would have been in force when there was no obvisious reason for it.

There were no roadworks and we were not in an area where there was likly to be pedestrians. We just had fields on either side!!!..

One of those things i suppose.

GMANSCAN

GMANSCAN:
Spaceman i was not looking for avoidance advice whats so ever, I was just wondering if i was to get points, would it effect my ability to gain employment. Also I would like to know why temp 50mph would have been in force when there was no obvisious reason for it.

There were no roadworks and we were not in an area where there was likly to be pedestrians. We just had fields on either side!!!..

One of those things i suppose.

GMANSCAN

The 50mph limit is there because it’s a busy cross-roads and it’s an accident black-spot.

If you haven’t got points on your licence these days,then you must be doing something wrong!!!

Ken.

Quinny:
If you haven’t got points on your licence these days,then you must be doing something wrong!!!

Ken.

Except if you have, you wont get insured again.

My Insurance company refuses to insure anyone with more than 3 speeding points!

I use them because they are cheaper than the rest :wink:

Quinny:

Ken.

Thats me then! Must be turning into a Sunday driver before my time!

On the Sunday just gone I was driving a van back up from London to Scunthorpe and when on the A1, I cant remember exactly where but I think its inbetween Grantham and Stamford were there is a 50mph speed restriction due to ‘roadworks’. I was doing spot on 50mph and was behind a rangerover+horse box who was doing the same when FLASH a front facing camera flashes and almost sends me flying off the bloody road in shock, I then realise that there was a car ovetaking me so it must have flashed him and not me. After telling people about this they informed me that the car driver may be able to get away with it as if there are two vehicles in the photo, and it cant be proven that the car was going faster just for being on the inside lane, then no charges can be made. I dont know how advanced these cameras are, does anyone know if this is true that the said car driver could get off?

Gman i think we need to establish where you actually were, the speed limit at Elkesley is not temporary but permanent and has been for 2/3 years now, however a bit further down the A1(northbound) there is indeed a temporary 50MPH speed limit in force near Grantham.

Did it flash you from behind or from the front?.

The one at Grantham was there about 6 months ago when they built a new entrance to a farm they seem not to have lifted it i know not why but it seems to generate some serious income as i pass it at least 2/3 times a night and see it flashing on many occasions.

So where exaclty were you■■?.

For those of you who think you are ok when you come out of Elkesley and pass the BIG layby on the left then think you are ok as you are past all the cameras, it is not unknown for the Police to be sat just over the brow of the hill with a mobile gatso in a house entrance look next time you will see where i mean.

Unfortunately i cant recall exactly where i was as it was the second time i had been on the road this year.

The speed camera flashed from the front on this occassion. My girlfriend saw it go off aswell.

Thanks everyone for their input.

GMANSCAN