Northampton MSA...A case study!

For any truck drivers unfortunate enough to have to spend the daily break in one of the many laybys on the A45 in the Northampton area, just hope the police don’t spot you there (or maybe hope they do!). If they do, they will contact the vehicles owner and send them a letter, stating where and when the vehicle was there (in the layby) and advising the owner to instruct the driver to park elsewhere as there is quite a large amount of HGV crime in the laybys in the area. Sound commendable advice. Meanwhile, when the local MSA,(then named) ‘Rothersthorpe Services’ underwent a revamp both in structure and ‘re branding’ to become ‘Northampton Services’, the available space for HGV’s was cut by about 60% down to spaces for about 16HGV’s. Strange that Northamptonshire police didn’t mention anything at the planning application about the need for safe HGV parking?

Friend of mine used to be an area manager for Welcome Break many years ago & she told me back then that MSAs only grudgingly provided parking for LGVs because it was part of the planning permission - no profit in a large parked vehicle with one driver (who’s unlikely to spend much anyway), compared to a load of rep-mobiles or families who would spend more. Situation has never improved over the years & never will. Police don’t care where you park as long it’s not on their patch - especially if it leads to them having to log a theft/criminal damage. As always trucks are despised but relied upon - it’s a no-win situation for the truck driver.

THIS COUNTRY HAS NEVER LEARNED TO LIVE WITH HGVS AND NEVER WILL END OF STORY

REGARDS DAVE

Mike, it was also at these ‘services’ recently, that a foreign driver was kidnapped AT GUNPOINT and his load of Plasma’s stolen.Can’t recall now but seem to remember this also happened in broad daylight.This level of crime is common down the road at the A45 junction, which is proberbly why the poor sod decided to park at Rothersthorpe where he would be safe :open_mouth:

Mike. I presume your employer has been sent a letter.

What an utter waste of time and money.

Initiatives like this usually originate from someone in middle management, climbing the promotion ladder, who have their heads so far up their gaffers arses that they rarely see daylight.

I’m sure the troops on the ground aren’t impressed, on the basis that they have better things to do. Although it might also be a way of getting the Highways Agency muppets to actually do something constructive rather than just parking up somewhere out of the way and getting their heads down.

If I were the subject of such a letter, then I would tempted to be mischievous. I would complain that providing the place chosen was within ‘company policy’ revealing the exact location, during a period when I was free to dispose of my time as I saw fit, was a breach of Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

ARTICLE 8
RIGHT TO RESPECT FOR PRIVATE AND FAMILY LIFE

1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.

2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

Not that ‘night outing’ exactly ‘promotes’ family life. Although, in some cases, it might. :slight_smile:

I’d also request details of ‘personal data’ held, in respect of the ‘normal’ vehicle that you drive, under the provisions of the Data Protection Act.

The ‘complaint’ wont go anywhere. It would just expose some idiot for what he really is.

Krankee the wierd thing is, i mentioned this before, i was working last year at Unity (Tescos) at Crick and a copy of this notice was on the wall, it was a Tesco truck that had been reported. Now as you know, Tescos don’t do night out, so the driver was just having a 45. The driver wasn’t contacted by the Police, the office was. They must have just looked at him and clocked his reg and said nothing to him. Beggars belief.

One of our drivers parked up near Brackley last year and the company was sent a letter from Northamptonshire police also,stating that the vehicle was parked in a high risk area,but having said that a couple of our containers have been broken into at Northampton Services.I dont ever night out there or have my 45 min break.

Mike-C:
Krankee the wierd thing is, i mentioned this before, i was working last year at Unity (Tescos) at Crick and a copy of this notice was on the wall, it was a Tesco truck that had been reported. Now as you know, Tescos don’t do night out, so the driver was just having a 45. The driver wasn’t contacted by the Police, the office was. They must have just looked at him and clocked his reg and said nothing to him. Beggars belief.

The police officers concerned simply drive slowly through the service area or lay-by noting details of the trucks parked there. They don’t usually attempt to speak with the driver if the cab is in darkness, on the grounds that s/he is resting. Teh list is faxed to the Crime Prevention dept who send out the letters.

While there have been a few load thefts from the MSAs (Watford Gap and Rothersthorpe aka Northampton Services), they are relatively few and far between compared to the lay-bys on the A43, A14 and A45 in the County.

Krankee…do shut up…talking ■■■■■ as always…and so r some of the rest of u…

What harm is there in the police advising drivers…not to park in these areas… done via a letter to the company or not :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

The driver is not going to get in trouble for anything…and at least the message will be passed around further…if the transport office is informed directly.

It’s better for the company to be informed and warn all their drives…than the coppers waking or disturbing ever driver…(which is just a waste of the drivers and their time)…Drivers will take it more serioulsy…and not just treat it as gossip

As far as i’m concerned the coppers r doing a great service here…but with silly sod like u lot…they’ll never win. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

SuperSmiley:
As far as i’m concerned …

Roll on Christmas then we can all celebrate your first year HGV driving, i have the date book marked and i am going to send you an E card!! Good luck !!

My only card…wonderful :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: