North Staffs Hauliers

I recently bought the book “North Staffs Hauliers” and was amazed to see a young lad on the front cover who I was at school with. As a former employee of Beresford Transport back in the 60s I was a real trip down memeory lane to look at the great black and white pics of lorries of now long gone North Staffs haulage companies - ERFs, Fodens, AECs, Atkinsons, Sentinels etc. There were two of Beresford Transport lorries that were of special significance - 515 JEH (two stroke Foden) and 409 UVT (AEC Mandator - and the only AEC on the then Beresford fleet).

As to the young lad on the front cover leaning on a Belfields ERF - if anyone knows this young’un please pass on best wishes from someone he was at school with in the 1960s - known as Hicky. He might remember me from going out with him one Saturday morning with him and a driver in one of Belfields Leyland Steers. :smiley:

Many of you will have heard some of the comments made about this fantastic book,that there were far more firms about than those mentioned.The author knows this,that is why she is putting another book together.I have collected some very interesting material covering some other firms going back as far as the 1920’s,which In shall pass onto her.
Can’t say too much or it could spoil the book.

bestbooties:
Many of you will have heard some of the comments made about this fantastic book,that there were far more firms about than those mentioned.The author knows this,that is why she is putting another book together.I have collected some very interesting material covering some other firms going back as far as the 1920’s,which In shall pass onto her.

Top marks Ian…I thought you was going to do a book.
I only have two harrisons of milton photos but if you need them ask
john

I remember a lot of Potteries companys,most have bee mentioned on here,but the one company I recall really well was W H Davey,running out of the smoke at night,when I was running in on the market job.The ERf artics loaded with -err flint (anyroad pebbles),KVs,LVs and “A” series units with dropside trailers,pulled like they were over t’top GVW to me. :stuck_out_tongue:
I presume the flint came from Kent or Sussex beaches?

Chris

3300John:

bestbooties:

Top marks Ian…I thought you was going to do a book.
I only have two harrisons of milton photos but if you need them ask
john

John,
I am still working on my book,but I thought I could help out with some material for this one too.
By the way,I passed Dave Scarlett on Monday,he was leaving the yard as I was coming in.He clocked me but doesn’t know me,I shall have to catch him standing still.

That young lad will be John Harding, father of “Fat Lad” or more recently “Fat Dad” who pops on to this forum from time to time.

I know him from his time at N & J Bailey of Tunstall, having spent most of my School holidays in the passenger seat of a string of Volvo’s (and earlier than that ERF’s) that were driven by my father.

He’s a “Proper” fella, and certainly knows one end of a polishing rag from the other.

J Haydon & Sons - I’ve posted these pics already on a Livestock thread but just in case here are some of them again - ‘Beddle’ would qualify as North Staffs as it’s only a couple of miles from the border with Cheshire!

6 Legs and Reg Simms’s Commer in 1976 - check Mick Harvey and a young Stuart Unwin.

The yard at Wharf Road in 1988 - mixture of livestock, haulage and coaches. Behind there used to be Eric Armitt’s yard in the 70s and early 80s then he moved up the road towards the Tin Bridge.

Sainsburys now …

Gardner 120:
J Haydon & Sons - I’ve posted these pics already on a Livestock thread but just in case here are some of them again - ‘Beddle’ would qualify as North Staffs as it’s only a couple of miles from the border with Cheshire!

6 Legs and Reg Simms’s Commer in 1976 - check Mick Harvey and a young Stuart Unwin.

The yard at Wharf Road in 1988 - mixture of livestock, haulage and coaches. Behind there used to be Eric Armitt’s yard in the 70s and early 80s then he moved up the road towards the Tin Bridge.

Sainsburys now …

fred haydon is still with us although he cant say alot cause he had a stroke which took his speach away :frowning: he still lives across the road from where the yard used to be.

cheers
gaz

I pop in whenever I’m up there - he’s my great uncle - he can still communicate quite well as we look through wagon photo albums. That’s him in 1988 with brother Tom and long time driver Joe Boon - Fred’s front door is behind him.

Also the yard in 1986.