North East Chapter

Apart from our “H” :wink: have all the great lads from the North east gone into hibernation until maybe Easter? Hope not otherwise the TNUK will slip further down the rankings :cry: " Whoa me lads you should have seen them stannin all alang the Scotsward road just to see them gannin" or words to that effect ! ONL 482M anon 1.

Rigsby, Dan and me are still here Dennis, North East Derbyshire! :wink:

Pete.

Still here Dennis, watching what’s going on, but nothing to contribute at the moment.
I’m sure that will change shortly. Regards Kev. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:
Apart from our “H” :wink: have all the great lads from the North east gone into hibernation until maybe Easter? Hope not otherwise the TNUK will slip further down the rankings :cry: " Whoa me lads you should have seen them stannin all alang the Scotsward road just to see them gannin" or words to that effect ! ONL 482M anon 1.

Until the mercury rises another 10 notches, i’m not setting foot outside. That North East breeze off the water plays havoc with me shutter speed :wink:
By the way Bewick, your Geordie accent :laughing: :laughing: “WHOA ME LADS”…sounds like you’re trying to brake a dray of Newcastle Brown :laughing:

windrush:

Pete.

Iam in the Derbyshire Dales ,North East Derbyshire had coal mines :laughing:

windrush:

Pete.

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

They had to start fetching coal up after they lost the fishing fleet… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Will be going to Newcastle on Tuesday and a nice load back from South Shields that I heard a local was doing as an out going load until I used the rate cutting machine :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: only joking :blush: :wink:

Bewick:

Lovely looking piece of kit.

H143500:

Bewick:

Lovely looking piece of kit.

That Atki was new to Waughs of Newcastle, it was driven by the late Stu Cartwright, a long serving and very good motorman. It was trouble from day one! I’m sure 8lxbv8Brian will be along shortly to confirm it’s problems. Eventually it was returned to Atkinson in disgrace!! Now far be it from Bewick to try to wind people up :unamused: :unamused:, but he bought it and it was allegedly no more trouble. I’m looking forward to the next episode of the wind-up Dennis. Regards Kev.

Episode one ONL 482M ! Nee nee nee woa Kev ! As if I would wind my N. East blood Brothers up ! perish the thought ! :open_mouth: :wink:
So in Jan '75 I gets a call from a dealer Pal the late Malc Woodhouse Snr. asking if I was looking for another Borderer ? I was ! So he says there is a 12 month old one standing at Atkis Service dept at Club St. Bamber Bridge so if I would nip in to have a “butchers” he had first shout on it. So I didn’t waste any time in shooting down the M6 for a looksey eh!. I give the Atki the “once over” and it looked and drove OK so I went into the offices for a chat with Mike Fairbrother and Joe Wharf who were the managers of the service dept. Now this is what they told me " This Borderer was a long term demo unit that was put into the Waugh fleet but because it didn’t have power steering their Shop Steward had “blacked it” Ah! the soft buggers !" If the unit had been put into Waughs by an Atki Dealer in the N.East they would have got it back to sell but because it was owned by Atkinsons they got it back and they just wanted to shift it ( at a very keen price !) So I jumped at it and believe it or not the rest is history as the saying goes. Can I ask you Kev was Stu a Shop Steward ? Here endeth episode 1. I will follow up with episode 2 mebe to-morrow but we’ve got to gan oot now so TTFN BFN :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Episode one ONL 482M ! Nee nee nee woa Kev ! As if I would wind my N. East blood Brothers up ! perish the thought ! :open_mouth: :wink:
So in Jan '75 I gets a call from a dealer Pal the late Malc Woodhouse Snr. asking if I was looking for another Borderer ? I was ! So he says there is a 12 month old one standing at Atkis Service dept at Club St. Bamber Bridge so if I would nip in to have a “butchers” he had first shout on it. So I didn’t waste any time in shooting down the M6 for a looksey eh!. I give the Atki the “once over” and it looked and drove OK so I went into the offices for a chat with Mike Fairbrother and Joe Wharf who were the managers of the service dept. Now this is what they told me " This Borderer was a long term demo unit that was put into the Waugh fleet but because it didn’t have power steering their Shop Steward had “blacked it” Ah! the soft buggers !" If the unit had been put into Waughs by an Atki Dealer in the N.East they would have got it back to sell but because it was owned by Atkinsons they got it back and they just wanted to shift it ( at a very keen price !) So I jumped at it and believe it or not the rest is history as the saying goes. Can I ask you Kev was Stu a Shop Steward ? Here endeth episode 1. I will follow up with episode 2 mebe to-morrow but we’ve got to gan oot now so TTFN BFN :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, I can categorically confirm Stu Cartwright was NOT the shop steward. Also, NONE of the Atkis at Waughs before “N” reg had power steering, my own (NTY 683M) which I got new included!!! The first tractor I got with power handlebars was a 1418 Merc. After a month driving that monstrosity I asked for my Atkinson back but was refused. I Hated that efin motor.!!! Regards Kev. Ps. The shop steward at that time was Arthur Mallen. He was a lovely fella, but the management could walk all over him. The only thing Arthur ever “blacked” we’re his boots !!

kevmac47:

Bewick:

Dennis, I can categorically confirm Stu Cartwright was NEVER EVER a shop steward. Also, NONE of the Atkis at Waughs before “N” reg had power steering, my own (NTY 683M) which I got new included!!! The first tractor I got with power handlebars was a 1418 Merc. After a month driving that monstrosity I asked for my Atkinson back but was refused. I Hated that efin motor.!!! Regards Kev.

:smiley:

Episode 2 ! So in Jan '75 we repainted and reliveried ONL 480M into the McGuffie fleet and it was put to work onto our nightly trunk to and from Daventry, Bowater Scott tissue down, woodpulp for Beetham Mill back. During the day the Atki ran mainly to and from West ■■■■■■■ with a load of 236 new 45 gal drums to Marchon at Whitehaven and invariably returning to Milnthorpe with a load of steel ( rail or pig iron) for Lancs/ Chshire. We ran this Atki on double shift for about two years in which time it would have clocked up circa 300,000 miles TROUBLE FREE running ! Then we ran it on days for a good number of years running between W. ■■■■■■■ and Lancs/ Cheshire again TROUBLE FREE. IIRC this unit never received a major engine overhaul and very definitely neither the Fuller 9509 box or the Kirkstall D85 axle needed any attention. Two of our drivers who were on ONL 482M ( nights & days) are still around and they would bear out what I’m saying ! So how it came about that it was a load of trouble at Waughs is a mystery to me. And of course this was the only Bewick Borderer that made it into preservation until the involvement of WRM :blush: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, your version of the story is logical and verifiable, my version is also logical and verifiable, the explanation from the “service depot” about the vehicle being “blacked” has been proved to be untrue. Now the blacking tale is proved untrue does this mean there was something wrong? Could it be they did find a fault somewhere in the driveline? It would be an easier explanation for them to blame “wussie” shop steward than admit an engineering fault to a potential customer of your standing. Ps I’m enjoying this, I look forward to your comments. Regards Kev.

The plot thickens Kev, if we’re not careful that ■■■■ “CF” will sniff out another thread where he can stick his oar in ! :open_mouth: :wink: Now then Kev we had two Borderers with the Fuller 9509 box and D85 axles, ONL had the ■■■■■■■ 220 engine and the other TVT ■■? L had the 8LXB engine and neither had P/steering. But honestly Kev I’m wondering if we are talking about the same unit ? because ONL 482M gave us brilliant service throughout it’s time in the fleet then when we took it out of service it was refurb’d as per the last shot posted when one of our Lads took it to the Leyland museum one weekend ( So that would improve the line up a bit among the Leylands eh !) We then used it for pulling our recovery trailer on Trade Plates. So Kev where do we go from here because I am not winding you up as I haven’t a lot of sentiment where motors were concerned and if it had proved to have been a bad buy I would be the first to hold my hand up ! As far as I’m concerned we only ever had one “bad” Borderer and that was a 220/DB 6:600/Poxy Group axle RJM 664M and I only ran it for 18 months and then booted it. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
The plot thickens Kev, if we’re not careful that [zb] “CF” will sniff out another thread where he can stick his oar in ! :open_mouth: :wink: Now then Kev we had two Borderers with the Fuller 9509 box and D85 axles, ONL had the ■■■■■■■ 220 engine and the other TVT ■■? L had the 8LXB engine and neither had P/steering. But honestly Kev I’m wondering if we are talking about the same unit ? because ONL 482M gave us brilliant service throughout it’s time in the fleet then when we took it out of service it was refurb’d as per the last shot posted when one of our Lads took it to the Leyland museum one weekend ( So that would improve the line up a bit among the Leylands eh !) We then used it for pulling our recovery trailer on Trade Plates. So Kev where do we go from here because I am not winding you up as I haven’t a lot of sentiment where motors were concerned and if it had proved to have been a bad buy I would be the first to hold my hand up ! As far as I’m concerned we only ever had one “bad” Borderer and that was a 220/DB 6:600/Poxy Group axle RJM 664M and I only ran it for 18 months and then booted it. Cheers Dennis.

Aye Dennis, his solution would be to convert it to double drive, change the lump to a Detroit plumbers nightmare, then fit a snow plough. That would cure the problem as the engine noise and the scraping of the plough would mask everything else. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Still working hard keeping you lot

animal:
Still working hard keeping you lot

Ah! so that’s the reason why my pension is getting less every year :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: So how about doing an extra shift or two ! things are getting a bit tight for us old 'uns :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Girl power rules OK ! Bewick.