North circular 15'9 bridge

On the a406 I’ve got a 15’9 bridge marked at neasdon. I came out on the a40 earlier rather than going to the M1 like I wanted to when I saw this. But it dawned on me that when I’ve been that way in lower trailers I don’t recall there being a bridge there. I looked on google and it seems the railway goes under the road at this point. The only thing is that part of the road bridge structure goes all the way over the road, like a metal beam. Is this the bit that’s 15’9? There is no height marked on it and there is no sign at Hanger Lane saying there is a 15’'9 bridge a head. It seems to be just on my map but I didn’t want to risk it. Is where I’m referring to a 15’9 or not? I know there are a few further a long but if my map is wrong then it means I can get from Wembley to the M1 without having to mess about!

I think it’s the metal beam on the bridge thing, if its the same place. Between Park Royal and the M1?

If it helps I get under it no bother with a 15’6 trailer with my axle up.

A.

Yeah that’s it. It’s not clearly marked then on the road signs of it is that!

And if it is that, does anyone know a way round it in a 15’10 without having to go all the way out on the a40 to the m25?

It’s funny you should mention that because I’ve just started to go back into London after a long time of managing to stay away and I was surprised to see that the height restriction which used to be there appears to have gone, which is possibly why maps show it but there are no signs. I’m fairly certain that there used to be a criss-cross type gantry going over which had the 15’9" limit on it, but now there is a simple curved one which has no sign. It was just up from the the IKEA store going north and just before the Wembley turn going south - maybe it was taken out when the did the tarting up of the area. Anyone live locally can confirm it?

Funnily enough, just had a look at Google Maps and if you look at the birds-eye view the gantry has some cross type steelwork but if you check street view it isn’t there. Definitely no restriction signs so I’d go for it.

As a small aside, I know that when there was a 15’9" height limit it was possible to get a 16’1" trailer underneath it - I was following an M&S teardrop when they first came out some years ago and expected to see sparks fly but they didn’t.

EDIT: just looking on Google Maps’ ‘Low bridges’ overlay & that one’s listed as being 16’0". Definitely no need to go the long way round! :smiley:

It does appear to have full height access now, but, if going to the M1 from Wembley via the 406, be aware there is a bridge height restriction at the bottom exit at M1 at the Hanger Lane interchange.

I think there was a recent thread about avoiding this bridge here on tnuk .

puggy:
It does appear to have full height access now, but, if going to the M1 from Wembley via the 406, be aware there is a bridge height restriction at the bottom exit at M1 at the Hanger Lane interchange.

I think there was a recent thread about avoiding this bridge here on tnuk .

Yes, that’s a 15’9" bridge on the slip road between Nth Circular and M1 but if you need to go north stay on the A406 to the next junction and pick up the A41 northbound to rejoin the M1 a bit further up.

tallyman:
Yes, that’s a 15’9" bridge on the slip road between Nth Circular and M1 but if you need to go north stay on the A406 to the next junction and pick up the A41 northbound to rejoin the M1 a bit further up.

Can’t you just go to Brent Cross (the A41 junction) and turn back round onto the A406 and then join the M1 at its start? The way up via the A41 means you don’t join until the Harrow slip, which is quite a way up and lots of places to get stuck in traffic.

There have been ongoing roadworks on this section of road at Neasden for over a year. A new scheme starts tonight.

tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/i … his-page-1

Rowley010:
And if it is that, does anyone know a way round it in a 15’10 without having to go all the way out on the a40 to the m25?

A few years back I’d come off the North Circ: at Harrow Rd and go past Wembley Stadium (B4565) head for Salmon Street, onto Fryent Way - Honeypot Lane - Marsh Lane to Stanmore, hang a right at the lights onto London Road follow down over the first roundabout to next roundabout, hang a left (A41) and a few hundred yards on the 41 takes you to Jct 4 M1 North.

This was a while back, no weight limits or bridges then , not sure now though…

IndigoJo:

tallyman:

Can’t you just go to Brent Cross (the A41 junction) and turn back round onto the A406 and then join the M1 at its start? The way up via the A41 means you don’t join until the Harrow slip, which is quite a way up and lots of places to get stuck in traffic.

Good shout !

Yes, that Neasden bridge was re-surfaced a year or two back and given a bit of a re-fit and facelift. It is no longer height restricted, the only obstructions are a couple of pipes running across the top and they have been raised so presumably allow for at least 5 metre clearance. I’ve been running across it several times lately and the old height restrictions have been removed.

Adonis.:
I think it’s the metal beam on the bridge thing, if its the same place. Between Park Royal and the M1?

A.

Didn’t this bridge beam used to be marked up as 15’9"? - I have not been along there for a while, and I don’t see any headroom signs in the google earth pics any more…

Winseer:

Adonis.:

A.

Didn’t this bridge beam used to be marked up as 15’9"? - I have not been along there for a while, and I don’t see any headroom signs in the google earth pics any more…

They have taken some of the metal work away thats why no height limit anymore.

google.co.uk/maps/@51.55468 … 38!6m1!1e1

We tip our deckers, (16 foot), at Park Royal then have to go via the M25 to get to Enfield to avoid this, it’s a ■■■■■■■ long way round!

bestbooties:
We tip our deckers, (16 foot), at Park Royal then have to go via the M25 to get to Enfield to avoid this, it’s a [zb] long way round!

There’s another bridge carrying the Piccadilly Line on the 406, just before you make the sharp right (Eastbound, clockwise) turn at ■■■■ Grove.
15’6", so you would still have to divert up onto the M25 to get from Park Royal to Enfield.