North Africa work

DEANB:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:
Ro, That F89 was on a road test in Morocco in 1972. Have you got that mag ?

Stumbled upon the image ages ago somewhere in cyber-space :unamused: . It’s in Dutch so it could be from Truckstar magazine. But I haven’t got it!

Volvo took that F89 and some other motors to Morocco back in 1972.

Click on pages twice to read.

It was well covered by Volvo’s publicity dept at the time: I remember references to it in all sorts of mags and books. And somewhere on here is a great colour pic of that Volvo with camels tethered to the mirror arm but I can’t find it anywhere :unamused:

IMG_4617.PNG
IMG_NEW.jpg
maroc.jpg

Nice pics Ro, havent seen the last one before.

Here you go, Deano old chap! I knew I must have it somewhere and I found it in a scrapbook up in my loft, so I’ve scanned it for you.

:smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:

robthedog:
DTS

I took that DTS picture! The truck belonged to Dave Clarke of Bodmin. It was a Merc 1850, an up-hill-down-hill machine which ironed out the hills a treat (though I hated the ETS 'box). I was on my way back from Fez in Morocco. If you look in the windscreen you can see my Moroccan name plate under the steering wheel :laughing:

On the previous picture was the DAF parked next to you the one driven by the Asian guy who subbied for DTS.

DEANB:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Stumbled upon the image ages ago somewhere in cyber-space :unamused: . It’s in Dutch so it could be from Truckstar magazine. But I haven’t got it!

Interesting “map”. Sketch?
The tarmac ends at MHamid I think, but it isnt actually on the border zone.
Apparently maps not showing what was once “Western Sahara” as being part of Morocco are frowned upon.
The Morocco/Algeria border is best avoided today, it seems. It is possible to go south of M`Hamid a bit but nowt much there except sand for quite a way.
There are tracks to the west near Oued Draa and the Titanic.

dave docwra:

ERF-NGC-European:

robthedog:
DTS

I took that DTS picture! The truck belonged to Dave Clarke of Bodmin. It was a Merc 1850, an up-hill-down-hill machine which ironed out the hills a treat (though I hated the ETS 'box). I was on my way back from Fez in Morocco. If you look in the windscreen you can see my Moroccan name plate under the steering wheel :laughing:

On the previous picture was the DAF parked next to you the one driven by the Asian guy who subbied for DTS.

No mate. I think that might have been John Chivers’s motor (JC International), which I did take down to Morocco a couple of times: it’s reg began with R4…, which is visible in the pic. You’re probably thinking of Ranjit from Milton Keynes. I did drive his DAF 95 for quite a while on Maroc work and you’re right in thinking that he also had an XF but it was green, like the 95.
:wink:

Franglais:

DEANB:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Apparently maps not showing what was once “Western Sahara” as being part of Morocco are frowned upon.
The Morocco/Algeria border is best avoided today, it seems. It is possible to go south of M`Hamid a bit but nowt much there except sand for quite a way.

Yes, things have changed since then. I have been also to Algeria but its not easy (and I went as a tourist whereas I drove lorries to Maroc). And yes, you’re right in thinking that the borders have been best avoided for some years now. I notice the article mentions that they travelled via Ourzazate, south of the Atlas mountains and in the top end of the Sahara, where I have been with a lorry as my final trip to Morocco took me there a tad under 20 years ago now.

ERF-NGC-European:

Franglais:
[

Yes, things have changed since then. I have been also to Algeria but its not easy (and I went as a tourist whereas I drove lorries to Maroc). And yes, you’re right in thinking that the borders have been best avoided for some years now. I notice the article mentions that they travelled via Ourzazate, south of the Atlas mountains and in the top end of the Sahara, where I have been with a lorry as my final trip to Morocco took me there a tad under 20 years ago now.

I only did two runs with a truck to Maroc, and that was just to Casablanca.
Found an accompanied 4x4 run through Tunisia looping through Algeria and back to Tunis, but that was following a rally/raid and was more of an endurance challenge than a pleasure in my book.
I was in Ourzazate earlier on this year though. Had a wonderful time.
Very slow trip across (a small corner of*) the Sahara. Two nights in bivouac. Up and down the High Atlas and Anti Atlas, desert, beaches.
Gotta get organised and back there.

*The Sahara Desert is bigger than the contiguous states of the USA.

Wot I did on my holidays…

Franglais:

ERF-NGC-European:

Franglais:
[

I only did two runs with a truck to Maroc, and that was just to Casablanca.
Found an accompanied 4x4 run through Tunisia looping through Algeria and back to Tunis, but that was following a rally/raid and was more of an endurance challenge than a pleasure in my book.
I was in Ourzazate earlier on this year though. Had a wonderful time.
Very slow trip across (a small corner of*) the Sahara. Two nights in bivouac. Up and down the High Atlas and Anti Atlas, desert, beaches.
Gotta get organised and back there.

*The Sahara Desert is bigger than the contiguous states of the USA.

Did you know there is (or was!) a film studio in Ouarzazote? The French made Asterix movies there. A lot of the scenery is still standing.

Dipster:
Did you know there is (or was!) a film studio in Ouarzazote? The French made Asterix movies there. A lot of the scenery is still standing.

Yep, went past it, but not inside at all. Not sure whats inside but the gates are still there. Another quick holiday snap? See if it works... And no...a MP4 isnt allowed. That was gonna be a short video of the Sahara.
I`ll try summat different.

Dipster:

I was actually delivering lighting equipment to the film studios there. They were remaking The Ten Commandments there. Here I am parked in the studio grounds after tipping.

ERF-NGC-European:

Dipster:

I was actually delivering lighting equipment to the film studios there. They were remaking The Ten Commandments there. Here I am parked in the studio grounds after tipping.

There you go! I often wondered quite why the studios ended up there. They are quite remote…