Norbet and Le Tour de France

I’ve been watching the Tour wend its way round France to me for the past 3
weeks and one thing that has struck me is how often Nobby gets one or more
of his wagons parked up within the last 2 or 3 kms of the finish each day.

Now my questions are these, and probably for Chris (Caveman):

1. Is it just luck that some drivers manage to finish their day in the
    right place at the right time?

2. Does Nobby tell the traffic office to make sure they route some loads
    to take them in the right direction?

3. Does he schedule several drivers to follow the Tour for the whole 3
    weeks empty? All they have to do each day is head for the next finish and
    park up.

Nice easy job for someone whose interested.:wink:

My money’s on 3 BTW.

Off out in a bit, the circus will be speeding round Brantôme roundabout
soon, which is 10 minutes down the road from here. :laughing:

judging by the coverage of the prologue in Londres, ND are doing the “logistics” and they had a truck parked almost on the starting line there

one other thing regarding the shock over the latest doping scandal - how did anyone think humans could cycle so hard for so long WITHOUT drugs, believe me as someone yet to get out of low box on his mountain bike :smiley:

jj72:
one other thing regarding the shock over the latest doping scandal - how did anyone think humans could cycle so hard for so long WITHOUT drugs, believe me as someone yet to get out of low box on his mountain bike :smiley:

As a teenager I used to do 100 mile time-trials, in under 5 hours.
That was after a 15 mile ride to the start line and followed by the 15 mile return journey home.

I did these time-trials on a single fixed gear. The fast lads and lasses in my club and the other local clubs could post times a lot closer to 4 hours, using 10 to 18 speed derailleur’s.

Now I’m not claiming that a 100 mile time trial is anywhere near approaching Le Tour. However, if teenagers doing basic training work can average between 20 to 25 mph over 100 miles, surely professionals with the training facilities and everything else they have available would be able to complete and compete in Le Tour without drugs.

I managed to totally wreck a brand new rear wheel once.
I had just had delivered my first set of tubeless wheels and tyres. 36 spokes on the front and rear. I decided to take them to the hill climb t-t we were doing the next weekend. I carried them to the start, having put a 52inch gear sprocket on my new rear wheel (1 complete turn of the pedals took my bike forward 52 inches). I went through scrutineering and up to the start line. The starter helped me get my pedals in the right position for good leverage for the start. The timekeeper counted down to the minute. I put everything into getting away and up to speed. And pulled every spoke out of my new rear rim :open_mouth: :cry: :cry: .
I replaced those with another set with 40 spokes on the rear and 32 on the front. I didn’t manage to wreck that set.

Many years ago I used to read “Cycle Touring” magazine (probably now defunct!) and there were regular letters and articles where riders in their seventies thought nothing of riding 100 miles in a day. It might have taken them a good few hours, but they did it complete with stops for a pint or two on the way. I used to regularly do 60 - 70 miles in a day on top of a full days work.

I know this is no comparison with the TdF but younger and fitter riders should manage without the need for drugs.

Simon - I tried a fixed wheel once - all went well till the first corner when I forgot I couldn’t stop pedalling, except I did. I was catapulted over the handlebars, luckily without serious injury. The wheel was removed and never used again :blush:

I am now the proud owner of what must be the lowest milage mountain bike in the country. Since buying it 4 years ago I have never ridden it on the road!

gardun:
Simon - I tried a fixed wheel once - all went well till the first corner when I forgot I couldn’t stop pedalling, except I did. I was catapulted over the handlebars, luckily without serious injury. The wheel was removed and never used again :blush:

They take a bit of getting used to :laughing: :laughing:
I never shot myself over the bars, but I used toe straps.
I did cross a road, sideways :open_mouth: though.

A sharp bend, on a downhill stretch, legs going nineteen to the dozen, cranked well over for the bend, contact :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

them Norbert trucks must be carrying the water for the riders

and some spare yellow jerseys cos Im sure that someone pedalling that hard in the same ganzi will whiff after 3 weeks

Simon:
[
A sharp bend, on a downhill stretch, legs going nineteen to the dozen, cranked well over for the bend, contact :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Snap :open_mouth: , when I was at school it was all the rage for a time. Can’t for the life of me think why now though. :unamused:

Well I made it to the race in plenty of time, found myself a good spot with a view of the approach downhill, and waited. How I wish I had remembered my casquette and sunscreen :unamused: :smiling_imp:
As soon as the leaders had whistled past, knowing there was 16 minutes to the main bunch, I walked a few hundred metres up the hill to a spot I had picked out with a nice bit of shade and plenty of room. Just 50 metres short of where the Gendarme who waves the little yellow pennant was having a pee in the undergrowth. :slight_smile:
Got another good view as they came whistling down the hill and then went home to watch the recording. We waited with baited breath as the camera panned passed the incontinent G. - and stopped filming 49 and a half metres further on. :open_mouth: :laughing: So the world was spared the vision. :unamused:

Walking back after the race I noticed that Nobby didn’t make it here, ok so it wasn’t near the finish, just Peyroux and Béarde poised waiting for the off. :laughing:

Free Image Hosting at [www.ImageShack.us](http://www.ImageShack.us)