Norbert dentressangle assessment, help

Hi all

I’ve got an assessment tomorrow for this company, but tbh I don’t have much experience with lorries, 3 months so far, and I’ve never done an assesment before.

It’ll be with a rigid lorry and I don’t have a clue about what I should do.
check the tyres, mot, curtains, lights? or they just get you in the lorry and give you indications?

should I put the hand brake on when queuing at traffic lights? I Think the agency guy told me about this but can’t remember

Any tips will be welcome

Mirrors, read road ahead, good signalling, keep to speed limit, don’t mount any kerbs, drive smooth, be considerate to others and yes use handbrake.
The assessments at our place are purely driving and reversing and you are not expected to check oil, lights etc so probably will be the same.

Remember all you learnt during your LGV training re vehicle checks etc and treat the on-road drive as simply a safe driving assessment - not a test

thanks mates,

When I did trainning I did with manual 5 gearbox lorry, if they give me a 4+4, should I use every gear? I assume that the lorry will be empty… should I start with 1 o 2… stupid question I know, but everyone was new once

Alvk00:
thanks mates,

When I did trainning I did with manual 5 gearbox lorry, if they give me a 4+4, should I use every gear? I assume that the lorry will be empty… should I start with 1 o 2… stupid question I know, but everyone was new once

Start by going through every up-change gear then switch to using what you deem necessary once you have the measure of it

No need to go through every gear when down-changing and it will deemed as poor driving if you do by most assessors

Try to make a mental note at what speed each gear is happy at such as …
gear 1 = 0 to 5
gear 2 = 0 to 10
gear 3 = 0 to 15 when empty
etc etc

Sounds simple, but just ask the assessor what he wants you to check with regards to oil etc.

In a 4 over 4, i’d do 2-4-5-6 as the norm. 3-5 if pulling off downhill. If you have a splitter, just leave it in the up position if your empty.

You have never used a range change? I thought it was a test requirement :question:

Chances are it’ll probably be an auto anyway.

If you are having an assessment at co-op Avonmouth (norberts),
all rigids are manual.

Do a proper walk around check, obey all signage including using walkways etc.Nice safe drive lots of mirror use and forward planning and you will be in.

They are pretty desperate for drivers anyway!

Ok thanks for the tips,

I hope it’ll be auto, I drove change range before but not in a assessment, you don’t think too much on this when you’re driving on your own.
on the other hand, when I qualified I was in Spain, you can pass the C+E with a simple 5 gear there.

I don’t rely too much on this assessment tbh, there have to be plenty of applicants right now after christmas

thanks all

localboy:
all rigids are manual.

Do a proper walk around check, obey all signage including using walkways etc.Nice safe drive lots of mirror use and forward planning and you will be in.

I’ve heard that too what are they up to in there ?

bald bloke:

localboy:
all rigids are manual.

I’ve heard that ND is on a warning that their contract could end quicker than it started , word has it DHL may have it by June if not earlier if they cant get their house in order

nick2008:

bald bloke:

localboy:
all rigids are manual.

I’ve heard that ND is on a warning that their contract could end quicker than it started , word has it DHL may have it by June if not earlier if they cant get their house in order

I’ve heard there’s 3 different pay structures and contracts for the drivers so that’s not going to help matters is it.