noob

Hi all, I am as the title says a noob. I have passed all tests to date first time with my CPC Mod 4 on the 5th of next month. My question is this, Do I need to be able to tie a dolly knot? The driving instructor told me I wouldn’t need to know how but I’m reading on here that I may need to demonstrate it. I have never been shown how to tie one (or how to sheet up for that matter) Is there an idiots guide to the knot anywhere, so I can be prepared?

Your instructor is correct; you will not need to demonstrate use of rope and dolly knot on your Mod 4 test. If you are asked the question referring to pallets of paper make sure you choose strap and don’t mention the rope. Then you’re sorted.

There are various vids available on utube and on here to assist with roping and sheeting but the demand for this is nothing like it used to be. When I started we had no curtainsides - so everything you now see being carried in a curtainsider used to be rope and sheet. Happy days - not!

There are, of course, still times when it is important to be able to rope and sheet - just that it’s nowhere near as common as it used to be.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing:

Thanks Pete, there is so much conflicting info out there, I thought it best to ask the people in the know.

is the mod 2 on your cpc hard, as ive got mine on tuesday

the case study is just a theory test on steroids, mine mostly covered drivers hours and accidents.

is it just common sense questions they ask you

so is it just common sense questions they are asking you??

yeah mate it is. You may be asked about O licences but it’s all stuff you’d have learnt for you theory test.

ok so now I’m a noob looking for a chance aka a job. Passed my mod 4 this morning and I’ll tell you straight up, if it wasn’t for this forum and direct help from members of this forum I would not have my cpc just now. There is another thread related to this next comment (If you haven’t seen it take heed) brokers do not provide you with enough information to complete these courses, go direct and pay for training!!! I put in approx 30 hrs reading (since the 16th of Jan, when I passed my driving) over and above any physical training and the little reference point handouts my driving instructor gave me. I guess it would have been better if we all learned like back in the day when you could go out in “dad’s truck” on a weekend. There is not enough practical training involved IMO. If I change one thing about the training, it would be to have a practical loading/unloading test. Just so the new driver would know how to load and secure the load giving them the chance to be 100% SAFE on the road. Ok rant over. now to quote someone (most noobs won’t know) “gizza job, go on giz it. I can do that!” Mr. Y hughes :laughing:

Congratulations on passing your mod 4. Welcome to the looking for a work party! Good Luck!

thanks mate, I have a few up my sleeve but nothing decent to go on, a few weekend shifts (with duncan adams) but every hour behind that wheel is an hour closer to getting full time work.

I’m yet to have that first hour behind the wheel, I’m hoping that finding the first hour is the hardest!