Noob questions

Hi all, i’m not a truck driver but over the last few months i’ve taken more of an interest in lorries than i ever have done before. Cars are my main hobby, but i watched a few videos on youtube of stavros969 which got me thinking about them.

Just a few thoughts and things i’ve noticed over the years which i have no idea what the answer is, and can someone answer for me;

1. Why do trailers that deliver beer kegs etc to pubs always have 1 axle only? Most trailers usually have at least 2/3, i would have thought the weight of beer kegs would still be quite substantial.
  2. How come petrol tanker cabs that deliver fuel to stations always seem to be of the low cab style? And with the wheel that’s raised always tends to be smaller in design to the rest of the wheels? (I thought maybe due to height of fuel station roofs, but then again normal high cabs still use them to fill up so doesn’t make a difference)
    This is the wheel i mean, i see it often but never on any other types of artics only fuel tankers
  3. I work for the DVLA, and i sometimes tax ‘Special Types’, which i think are for transporting abnormal loads and the like. I notice them as they have the STGO sign at the front, but usually they tend to have more axles at the rear, is this because they are rated the carry more weight? Also compared to say a normal 44T cab that pulls curtain sided trailers, how much more powerful on average are they?

I think (but dont quote me on it) the single axle for the beer deliveries is for increased manouverability at pub delivery points.

I also asked the question re the smaller front wheel of tankers and after a few sarcastic answers by the forums know it alls I got a few sensible reasons and it seems to be to do with making it easier to drain the tank of its full payload

For manoeuvrability, pubs can be in city centres and other annoying places.

Fuel tankers aren’t high so wind deflectors aren’t needed. The wee axle is usually to do with gross weight but I might be wrong on that. You’ll also see the wee axle on other types like tippers and bulk tankers. Some are hidden behind a side skirt.

More axles, more weight. Uprated units aren’t always more powerful, though you don’t see many less than high 500s.

When I did beer delivery the loads were normally 10 ton so fine.

Little wheel is weight saving so you can carry another few litres. Small cabs because some fuel stations roofs are low and those guys don’t sleep in the trucks so little cab will do, I suppose the small cabs weigh less as well so more pay load again.

Also little wheels give more chassis room for hydraulic tanks etc for pto equipped vehicles.

In order to apply to ask a question, you must fill in form Q87a. These are available from Post Office Counters (large branches only) or your local Trucknet office, which is open Wednesday to Friday 9am - 10.30am.

Drempels:
In order to apply to ask a question, you must fill in form Q87a. These are available from Post Office Counters (large branches only) or your local Trucknet office, which is open Wednesday to Friday 9am - 10.30am.

There’s no longer…

A Q87a form. Due to new GDPR regulations the Q87a has been superceded by the EU1a form. These are available from Post Office Counters (small branches only (twigs)). Don’t bother with your local Trucknet office which never appears to be open at all, they haven’t got a clue about anything.

If you’re unable to locate an A1A form, just give up and go and find something much more interesting to do.

TheUncaringCowboy:
. The wee axle is usually to do with gross weight but I might be wrong on that. .

If I remember correctly, it can save around 500kgs on the gross.

I can only comment on the carlsberg wagon, and this is based on the Iveco Eurocargo version.

The tractor unit is based on a 12t rigid, the gross train weight can be up to 26t depending what tax class you what it to be in. At 25t it is currently £236 PA (which i think is substantially less than a 26t rigid, but don’t tell everyone).
The trailers are 18t gross so you can carry about 12t but you have to be careful on front end loading of the trailer as the tractor drive axle will only take 9.2t. The trailer axle is 10t. All on 19.5" tyres. (Something I can never get my head around is that the tractor has 8 stud wheels, most of the trailers have 10 :question:
Yes they are very manouverable and you can spin it right round in not more than the width of a normal road. There is almost zero wear on the trailer tyres as they counter rotate as you are turning.

When Carlsberg, DHL , koon & noodle or whoever have finished with them, some of them get recycled / retirement work :-

Like cars, trucks are made with a variety of different purposes in mind. They’re a tool for a job.
In the same way you couldn’t service a car with a hammer and chisel, you couldn’t deliver beer to pubs on a 44 ton artic.

To get to pubs and clubs dray lorries have to be compact, because of this they can only carry about ten tons payload, so a single axle trailer is all that’s needed. More axles would just be extra weight and cost for no benefit.

The fuel tanker has a low cab because it’s lighter and therefore it can carry more payload.

The same with the small mid lift axle, it’s lighter than a full size one but still allows it to carry 44 ton. The weight on a tanker and tipper lorry is spread evenly so makes these a good option.
You wouldn’t see these small axles on a general Haulage vehicle because they offer less flexibility for overall weight distribution.
A full-size midlift axle can carry 8 tons a small one will only carry 4.4.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk